King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:06 am

Posts here to talk about grumpy Akiyama, bear like Akebono, whatever SUSHI is, and the home of future ace Kento Miyahara.

br26
VOW Staff Member

Re: King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by br26 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:45 pm

are Dory and Terry Funk regulars here, because I see their name pop up for AJPW all the time.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:38 pm

Miyahara takes a BEATING from the big clubbing bear that is Akebono. It's needlessly long at points but a solid enough match for people interested in the current All Japan main event scene:

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:46 am

Aoki v Suzuki from March. Worth trying to find and watch?

RajahDDT

Post by RajahDDT » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:51 pm

It's worth a gander, I think. Suzuki vs. Sato from the same show as Akebono/Miyahara is worth more of one, despite them staying on the mat too long (and this is coming from a self-admitted mat-work whore).

Also, the Akebono matches just need five-to-eight minutes shaved off and they'd be highlights of 2015 pro wrestling; some of the best "Monster vs. Manlet" matches I've ever seen.

strikamura

Post by strikamura » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:15 am

Just watched Akebono/Miyahara. Akebono SLAPPING Miyahara off the top turnbuckle to the floor might be my favorite spot of 2015. I just keep rewatching it. I liked this match better than the Go match, mostly because I managed to stay awake through the whole thing. I agree that a more succinct match would have been a positive, but this was still enjoyable.

Also enjoyed Suzuki/Sato and Aoki/Takao from that show.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:58 am

Rich Kraetsch wrote:Miyahara takes a BEATING from the big clubbing bear that is Akebono. It's needlessly long at points but a solid enough match for people interested in the current All Japan main event scene:

Just watched it. I thought it was really good. I like that Miyahara had a plan with the arm, and Akebono's slaps were vicious.

Andy Doran

Post by Andy Doran » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:24 am

In the Champion's Carnival match, Miyahara's armwork paid off and Akebono tapped out. In this match Miyahara tried to work on the arm, Akebono avoided it, then Miyahara brought out the big gun of his knee kick and Akebono JUST kicked out. This has to lead to Miyahara coming up with one more big move to take down Akebono, right?

Interesting match to match in game adjustments, even in matches involving Akebono.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:58 pm

Akebono/Miyahara was great, a low end MOTYC. Superb limb work from Miyahara with accompanied viciousness. Bono's did a splendid job of selling and of making the most of a very simple and limited approach. Both men came away from the match looking swell, and I look forward to th rematch down the line.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:48 pm

Best part of the match is the fact Akebono turned things around by using hellish SLAPS! When's the last time we witnessed a match where SLAPS were a turning point?

RajahDDT

Post by RajahDDT » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Shuji Ishikawa has challenged Akebono for the Triple Crown title.

https://twitter.com/STRIGGA/status/618788906188804096

Yes, friends. Yes.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:48 pm

RajahDDT wrote:Shuji Ishikawa has challenged Akebono for the Triple Crown title.

https://twitter.com/STRIGGA/status/618788906188804096

Yes, friends. Yes.
This is exactly what AJPW needs to be doing with Akebono.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:53 pm

I remember when I really disliked Ishikawa when I first saw him, now I can't wait for his match against freaking Akebono.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:54 am

did anyone else love the Endless Waltz spot in Kotaro vs Sato as much as me? Sato has been working over Kotaro's leg and Suzuki uses this to his advantage by stopping to tend to his leg after coming off the top - and effectively luring Sato into a single leg takedown attempt. As soon as he reaches for the leg, Kotaro latches on the Endless Waltz and gets a great nearfall. I did a terrible job explaining that, but trust me it was awesome.

Andy Doran

Post by Andy Doran » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:20 pm

I thought Sato really carried most of that match, but Kotaro had a few bright spots. I thought they best parts were Sato torturing the leg and Shiozaki on the apron, about to throw in the towel. That side of Sato hasn't been seen recently in AJPW. Really good match from him, although I thought the Ishii match was a better one man performance.