Big Japan - The promotion of MEN

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Drew Wardlaw

Re: Big Japan - The promotion of MEN

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:05 pm

Great show last night from what I saw. Fell asleep for the semi-main and main but eveything I saw was good. Theb Strong tag was awesome and really well worked, Suzuki/Nomura vs Uto/Nakanoue was brutal. I was a little disappointed by Sekimoto vs Kawakami, it's was really good but never quite reached the emotional peak I was hoping for I guess.

jesse

Post by jesse » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:46 pm

It was Kawakami's first match in 8 months. Not sure what people were really expecting. The important thing is he finished it.

The emotional peaks will come when he comes after Okabayashi since there's a lot going on there and Kamitani for beating him to the Strong belt.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:29 pm

This is a promotion I have been meaning to check out and the most recent show seems like a good spot to hop in. What's the best way to watch these shows? It hasn't hit xtreme wrestling torrents yet, and may never.

jesse

Post by jesse » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:37 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:This is a promotion I have been meaning to check out and the most recent show seems like a good spot to hop in. What's the best way to watch these shows? It hasn't hit xtreme wrestling torrents yet, and may never.
You can find what you're looking for in the new show link sticky. Check the last page.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:38 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:This is a promotion I have been meaning to check out and the most recent show seems like a good spot to hop in. What's the best way to watch these shows? It hasn't hit xtreme wrestling torrents yet, and may never.

Watch all the Korakuen Hall shows from this year, especially the March 6 and March 31 shows.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:47 pm

Thank you Alan and Jesse. Surprisingly the g1 has me fired up about wrestling and I somehow want more on my plate.

jesse

Post by jesse » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:48 pm

If you really like what you see check out the D-Rize shows. You'll see some All Japan talent on there as well. I'd also watch the Strong Climb digest shows since at this point I wouldn't really suggest anyone watching the whole thing now.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:44 pm

I couldn't get through the main event. Had to shut it off. I just can't do deathmatch stuff. Okabayashi vs Kamitani was very good. So was the tag before that. Going to work my way through the undercard today.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:23 am

Okabayashi/Kamitani was some match. Okabayashi was perfect in his role, he really showed vulnerability but came across huge and dominating when he needed to. Kamitani worked super hard, and was really fighting and struggling throughout. I like the battle of the Lariats. I'm a Big Japan poser but this felt really special, even just from their previous match until now.

Superkix

Post by Superkix » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:29 am

Yeah, I thought the show on a whole (minus the deathmatches) was quality. I enjoyed Kawakami's return match quite a bit and thought he looked to be in good shape. The Hideki/Nakanoue exchanges were brutal and fun, and the All Asia tag titles match was a little klutzy but had some solid moments.

dylanjstx

Post by dylanjstx » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:12 pm

My review will be up on the site soon, but in short, I thought Okabayashi vs. Kamitani was one of the best matches this year and told one of the most emotional/dramatic stories ever. Loved it. Loved the All Asia tag title match as well. Great show.

jesse

Post by jesse » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:35 pm

I use to be someone that couldn't stand deathmatches and now they're pretty easy watches for me. The only things that I have to turn my eyes away from are the syringe spots. Ito and Hoshino was really great however. You have to keep in mind Sumo Hall doesn't allow them to use glass which means no glass planes or light tubes so they're limited on what they can do. They were allowed thumbtacks this year but even then Ueki had them all glued down to his table. The deathmatches on this card would be utterly insane if they could do what they really wanted to do but maybe it's better that they can't heh.

If you do like deathmatches however I'd HIGHLY suggest the Takeda vs Fukimoto match from the 7/13 FREEDOMS show. One of my favorite matches this year.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:23 pm

Was the main event considered a "good" deathmatch from a critical standpoint? I am wondering if I just haven't watched the right ones. CZW is my main touch point with the genre.

jesse

Post by jesse » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:31 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:Was the main event considered a "good" deathmatch from a critical standpoint? I am wondering if I just haven't watched the right ones. CZW is my main touch point with the genre.
I couldn't tell you but people care too much if a match is good from a critical standpoint. Ito and Hoshino was great because it was fun to watch. They did some really stupid stuff. Most importantly Hoshino won his first ever title in Big Japan.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:42 pm

I actually appreciated the limitations of the deathmatches for this show. They both built to the big spots well and never really felt mindless. The video package set up a nice story for Hoshino who I wasn't very familiar with, so it was a gnarly moment and a nice one too when he won.