Genichiro Tenryu's Revolution Final (Retirement Show) 2015.11.15 - Airing Live On NJPW World!

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Chismo

Re: Genichiro Tenryu's Revolution Final (Retirement Show) 2015.11.15 - Airing Live On NJPW World!

Post by Chismo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:10 pm

Morten VH wrote:So i'm just gonna say what no one really wants to say... That main event was ugly.. I was worried the entire match, that Okada would get injured. His face after the match, looked like he had just gotten beaten in a straight up boxing match. He was swollen multiple places.
Which was exactly the school Okada needed. Modern New Japan doesn't book violent brawls. Now let Okada face Takayama and Fujita, and the schooling will be completed.

K. Hare

Re: Genichiro Tenryu's Revolution Final (Retirement Show) 2015.11.15 - Airing Live On NJPW World!

Post by K. Hare » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:56 pm

I really liked seeing Okada in a different role than we are used to. I thought he did a good job of adapting to what Tenryu could do and worked really hard to make him look good.

I've seen tons of matches "better" than the Fujiwara tag this year, but not that many that were more fun.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:15 am

One of the most fun, memorable wrestling shows in years.

Stars of the night:

1. Tenryu
2. Fujiwara
3. Okabayashi

Ozzi MichiFan

Post by Ozzi MichiFan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:08 am

Some of my favorite things that made me "pop" at the show:

- Everyone clapping to the classic AJPW theme that was playing pre-show.

- Kikutaro actually hitting his "Monologue Buster". He's used it in every match for over 10 years and this is one of the few times and the only time that is coming to my fried mind where he actually pulled it off.

- Dragon JOKER unmasking himself. Retiring the character with Tenryu, a touching moment.

- Kitahara's precision kicks, those spinning kicks landing dead-on where amazing. Catching everyone off-guard.

- Arashi's forearm strikes, still throws meaning looking strikes than most of the undercard.

- Kuniyoshi Wada was ringside for the whole show, adjusting pads, tightening the turnbuckles and what have you, he was a Riki Choshu trainee in 2003, retiring in 2010. During Choshu's match he put on his old RIKIPRO "K. WADA" jersey, just a cool little moment for him.

- Murakami, I love him, not the greatest wrestler by any means, but an amazing presence, seeing him howling at Fujiwara's slaps and battering him with punches was great, just great to see him back in the spotlight after so many years.

- "Dai Nippon" chants from the crowd, what a heartwarming moment, to see everyone reject the use of Sekimoto & Okabayshi as fodder in the Suwama/Fujita story and champion them as Pro Wrestling heroes was a great moment for sure and considering BJW is looking to push into the next teir, it's great to see such support.

- The main event, what a moment. It was sloppy, ugly, awkward and most importantly; it was perfect. The teetering stance while delivering chops and punches, the knees giving out on suplexes, the head-drop powerbomb. The imagery of a man, spent. Countering that; a man in his prime, ricocheting off the ropes, delivering death-by-dropkick with shotgun-like impact. Tenryu, unable to even get to his feet at points, while Okada springs to his.

Tenryu has nothing left to give Okada, nothing, besides what brought him here in the first place.... fighting spirit. Desperately avoiding the inevitable Rain Maker, swinging for the fences, literally leaving his mark on the future of Puroresu. But the rains always comes eventually and The Rain Maker extinguished flame, the fire that lied within and broke everyone's heart in Sumo Hall who were on the edge of their seat, ready to start cheering for the kickout, our disbelief suspended up in the stars over the arena. But it never happened and it never would again, Mr. Puroresu's career had come to an end, but in that magical moment, even after the shambles I had witnessed, it still felt too soon.

- The most emotional moment of the show for me actually came AFTER Tenryu and everyone else had left, I was sitting 5 seats from where Tenryu entered and as his dying theme played slow and sombre, everyone was filing out, one thing remained: Tenryu's iconic banner-man, flying his flag high and proud, with all the Tenryu logos and calligraphy swaying slowly to the theme. I must of stood there for like 10 minutes watching the banners thinking about Tenryu's career and what I had seen, as the banner-men gave their final chant together and lowered the banners. It was a really great moment that I was totally absorbed in.

Random notes:

- I realized during the Joshi match that I was standing next to Cassandra Miyagi at the Sumo Hall gate while I was taking photos and stuff hours before the show. Not the first time my lack of Joshi knowledge has left me oblivious to things like this.

- When I finally snapped out of staring at the banners, I turned around to leave and BAM! There was Jushin Liger, standing a few rows back looking at me.

- I met up with Brent Davis before the show and we hung out a bit, as well as chatting away in the 2 hours we spent in lines to get into the building and then to get merch. Found memories of the FINAL BURNING show. We also stumbled upon Fumiaki.

- I also met Masa Horie and Haru (who designs all the Funk/Hansen/Jumbo/Tenryu T-shirts.) pre-show while waiting for Brent to stop being 30 minutes late due to loitering around McDonalds, typical American.

- This was the only show I've ever been too that supplied a streamer on your seat for you to throw. Why more companies don't make a killing selling pre-made tape colour packs for certain wrestlers at shows is beyond me.

- The fact they were still trying to sell merch in the main lobby as 13,000 people nudged their way through was madness. There was plenty of me cussing people out in that mess.

jesse

Post by jesse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:21 am

Ozzi MichiFan wrote:- Murakami, I love him, not the greatest wrestler by any means, but an amazing presence, seeing him howling at Fujiwara's slaps and battering him with punches was great, just great to see him back in the spotlight after so many years.
Yesssssss I 10000% agree. He just has that factor about him that screams "what a dick" which is something a lot of guys don't have. I wish he brought Leatherface and Freddy Krueger from the new FWM with him. :lol:

I thought Kawakami came off looking like a pretty big star. It's bittersweet since if his knee wasn't messed up that match would have been a lot better (poor guy couldn't even run). I really, really want to see a healthy Ryuichi in a singles match against Ishii now. Big Japan in general was the biggest winner of the whole thing. Strong BJ were never meant to be in that match but I guess things happen for a reason. Sekimoto has been working so hard trying to build up the strong division and while I don't know if him, Okabayashi, Kawakami and K Hash did enough to draw more people out to see them I think at least for one night they can know what what they are doing is working.

As for Okada - He better bring those consecutive low missile drop kicks with him to New Japan. The Okada in this match is the Okada I want to see more of but for a various amount of reasons we never do. I thought he was pretty brilliant in the match.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Haya

Post by Haya » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:01 am

Great post MichiFan. Really envious of your experience, definitely something that will stick with you forever. Really looking forward to giving the show another watch next weekend - I missed quite a bit due to stream problems on my end.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Just started watching this show after hearing the VOW podcast and enjoying it so far. But, I have to ask, why is Liger in this 10 man match? I know very little about Japanese wrestling beyond the bigger promotions, but this seems like the give back for allowing him to work Takeover.

"Ok, you can work for WWE, but in exchanger, you're gonna work the Tenryu retirement show in a match with these nine knuckledheads."

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:33 pm

It's an honor for every wrestler, to be invited to Mr. Tenryu's retirement show. Even if it's a legend like Liger.

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:26 am

jesse wrote:Yesssssss I 10000% agree. He just has that factor about him that screams "what a dick" which is something a lot of guys don't have. I wish he brought Leatherface and Freddy Krueger from the new FWM with him. :lol:

I thought Kawakami came off looking like a pretty big star. It's bittersweet since if his knee wasn't messed up that match would have been a lot better (poor guy couldn't even run). I really, really want to see a healthy Ryuichi in a singles match against Ishii now. Big Japan in general was the biggest winner of the whole thing. Strong BJ were never meant to be in that match but I guess things happen for a reason. Sekimoto has been working so hard trying to build up the strong division and while I don't know if him, Okabayashi, Kawakami and K Hash did enough to draw more people out to see them I think at least for one night they can know what what they are doing is working.

As for Okada - He better bring those consecutive low missile drop kicks with him to New Japan. The Okada in this match is the Okada I want to see more of but for a various amount of reasons we never do. I thought he was pretty brilliant in the match.
I agree with all this. Every once in awhile Okada will give you something that makes you think he's turning a corner, unfortunately I think there's a much higher chance of things going back to business as usual Okada right away back in NJPW. Nice job in the Tenryu match. Both guys worked hard.
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

jesse

Post by jesse » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:49 am

The picture of Okada looking like shit is from Mr. Takahiro Inoue's instagram account. He's the editor in chief of the KAMINOGE and GONG magazines.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:55 am

Awesome write-up Ozzi!

sternness

Post by sternness » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:25 pm

Chismo wrote:Which was exactly the school Okada needed. Modern New Japan doesn't book violent brawls. Now let Okada face Takayama and Fujita, and the schooling will be completed.
YES.

I loved the show. The last four matches made it worth staying up for. The Choshu/Ishii vs. Saito/Kawakami tag ruled, the Fujiwara tag match was awesome, Strong BJ saved what would have otherwise been a match that broke my heart and the main event was fucking perfect.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:28 pm

That Fujiwara tag match was my favorite match of the night and it wasn't even close. That was perhaps the most legitimately GREAT match from the entire night, I can't put it over enough.

Haya

Post by Haya » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:32 am

I just got round to watching the final 4 matches again(I missed the main event while watching live):

Minoru Suzuki was the perfect guy to get in the ring with Takayama and Fujiwara. Such a fun match, and one I won't forget anytime soon.

The BJW boys are awesome as hell, and they saved a terrible scene. I didn't enjoy it the second time round, but I did really enjoy it while watching live.

Okada/Tenryu was definitely perfect. Red shoes' facial expression when he counted the pin, Okada bowing so respectfully, Hansen and Funk. By the time the bell started ringing I had a solid lump in my throat. Great way to see Tenryu off.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Just finished the Fujiwara tag match. Real fun stuff especially his interactions with Suzuki.

Not sure why this is and if I am the only one seeing this, but the way this show has been shot and the lighting reminds me of 2000 era independent shows from the ECW Arena. Obviously, a lot more people, but it gives me the same sort of vibe (maybe because I know as few people on the show as I would have on those shows).