Wrestle-1 thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
User avatar
BlizzardAcolyte
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:14 pm

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:47 pm

Watching the most recent televised show now, I'm not sure how to feel about Kohei Fujimura. He seems to be not green and can hold his own in the ring, but he is my first example in a long time of someone whose look interferes in my enjoyment/interest in his matches. He's just so...small.

Like, he could accidently be split in half by an errant baseball level small.

On the plus side, he gives the NEWERA team an easy out for when they drop the UWA trios titles, they're very clearly building him as the Malachi Jackson of that tandem.

EIDT: And as I say that, the dream is over...hope the new champs tore him up some, at least that will be entertaining.

User avatar
Dragonzombie
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by Dragonzombie » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:58 am

sanshiro takagi has resigned.

User avatar
PKThree
Posts: 1426
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Cold frozen north

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by PKThree » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:25 am

Can either mean something is going wrong, or that Wrestle-1 doesn't need him anymore. For the moment I chose to believe the latter.

W-1 did 1800 people in Yokohama yesterday, main evented by Ashino vs Jiro. About the same number as last year.

I think W-1 has weathered the worst of the storm of their organizational chaos, now it's time to grow the foundaion Hayashi has set.

User avatar
Dragonzombie
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by Dragonzombie » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:16 pm

He stepped down because he was only needed to restructure the fed in the sense of who's hired and the amount of pay and very much removed most needless expenses. His work is done.

User avatar
PKThree
Posts: 1426
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Cold frozen north

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by PKThree » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Yup. Hayashi and Kondo got to walk beside him and learn how to run a company basically. Training wheels are off now so to speak

User avatar
Danwaka
Posts: 843
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 8:15 pm
Location: Amman, Jordan

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by Danwaka » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:50 pm

You'd have thought Kaz and Mutoh already knew how to do that from AJPW, though. Kaz was the junior booker there, wasn't he?

User avatar
PKThree
Posts: 1426
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Cold frozen north

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by PKThree » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Danwaka wrote:You'd have thought Kaz and Mutoh already knew how to do that from AJPW, though. Kaz was the junior booker there, wasn't he?
Big difference in being booker and being company president

User avatar
Danwaka
Posts: 843
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 8:15 pm
Location: Amman, Jordan

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by Danwaka » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:09 pm

PKThree wrote:
Danwaka wrote:You'd have thought Kaz and Mutoh already knew how to do that from AJPW, though. Kaz was the junior booker there, wasn't he?
Big difference in being booker and being company president
Which is why I ref'd Mutoh as well. Kaz wasn't exactly new to the situation of being corporate in a company struggling to survive. They had all the tools for W-1 that Mutoh didn't in 2002 and he managed a lot better back then.

User avatar
Dragonzombie
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by Dragonzombie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:20 pm

Danwaka wrote:
PKThree wrote:
Danwaka wrote:You'd have thought Kaz and Mutoh already knew how to do that from AJPW, though. Kaz was the junior booker there, wasn't he?
Big difference in being booker and being company president
Which is why I ref'd Mutoh as well. Kaz wasn't exactly new to the situation of being corporate in a company struggling to survive. They had all the tools for W-1 that Mutoh didn't in 2002 and he managed a lot better back then.
The problem with Mutoh is the expenses and debts. I've seen the reported debt amount on kakutolog and other sites who reported how much they owned. In the millions.

Mutoh did stop using the expensive Budokhan to his credit but not other expenses (expensive gaijin, expensive Hw natives, other crap) for a company smaller than Noah or Njpw at the time.

There's also the case you might owe a worker something or even in some cases certain sponsors. They did however made profits but certain losses too. The debt was however nowhere as bad as Inoki's debt Njpw gained.

They sold Ajpw to Nobuo shiraishi to close it down and he liquefied the old ltd and debts. To manage the promotion and expenses. Nobuo said that on his old blog and in the news before he sold the rights to Jun years later. They also had problems with paychecks arriving as Jun said recently from looking at the old books. And as Dave Meltzer reported years ago.

You have to run the promotion business fiscally conservative these days if you don't have the big money backers (Bushiroad) and national tv to prop you up. It's a model DDT and other indys use and others like current newborn Noah and Ajp adopted.

User avatar
PKThree
Posts: 1426
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Cold frozen north

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by PKThree » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:49 pm

This^

Mutoh knows how to promote and such. But not how to balance the books

User avatar
Lawsoncomedy
Posts: 696
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:15 pm

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:00 am

Ashino vs Jiro was the best Wrestle-1 match i ever saw, by far. Not that I'm an expert, but i loved that match, went ****3/4 on it.

User avatar
ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:59 pm
Location: New Delhi,India
Contact:

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:10 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:This company is as good as dead. Will make time to discuss this on next week's show.


Welp.

User avatar
ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:59 pm
Location: New Delhi,India
Contact:

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:10 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
pol wrote:AJPW shows us you can't jump to conclusions on this matter, but it really does seem like W-1 is circling the drain right now. They only ran 5 shows last month, and will run 4 each this month and next month. Mutoh has his 90s nostalgia project to occupy his attention now too.
I think you just nailed the differences. Akiyama had a singular focus, without the sketchy, scatter brained business history of Mutoh. AJPW also had a burgeoning young star in Miyahara to build around. W-1 has no one remotely close with that kind of potential, nor the veteran stars with credibility to put that non existent person over like AJPW has in Akiyama & Suwama. Jiro is no Miyahara, and while Mutoh is closer to Akiyama et al than Jiro is to Miyahara, he is well past his physical peak and I'm not sure if you produce the same psycological oomph from beating him.

Sanada got away, KAI was a bust, Jiro is a charismatic guy but clearly has a ceiling and would probably be a better fit for what DDT does. Unless you think Daiki Inaba can be the guy, which even though I think he's a solid little wrestler, I do not.
Welp.

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:29 pm

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:
pol wrote:AJPW shows us you can't jump to conclusions on this matter, but it really does seem like W-1 is circling the drain right now. They only ran 5 shows last month, and will run 4 each this month and next month. Mutoh has his 90s nostalgia project to occupy his attention now too.
I think you just nailed the differences. Akiyama had a singular focus, without the sketchy, scatter brained business history of Mutoh. AJPW also had a burgeoning young star in Miyahara to build around. W-1 has no one remotely close with that kind of potential, nor the veteran stars with credibility to put that non existent person over like AJPW has in Akiyama & Suwama. Jiro is no Miyahara, and while Mutoh is closer to Akiyama et al than Jiro is to Miyahara, he is well past his physical peak and I'm not sure if you produce the same psycological oomph from beating him.

Sanada got away, KAI was a bust, Jiro is a charismatic guy but clearly has a ceiling and would probably be a better fit for what DDT does. Unless you think Daiki Inaba can be the guy, which even though I think he's a solid little wrestler, I do not.
Welp.
The booking and in ring has been good since the front office shuffling, but let's not ignore the fact that this company has run:


4 shows in June
3 shows in July
3 shows in August
4 shows in September

That's about a 50% reduction from last year, when they were only running about 6 shows per month over the same period.

This is a part time promotion hanging on by a string. For comparison, Zero-1 is running up to 14 events per month these days.

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:34 pm

They drew 1,012 fans for the entire month of August, "712" of that in Korakuen, and keep in mind that they announced "712" for Korakuen a few months in a row, indicating that that's the baseline "this is what we announce when we draw 500 people" number.

Post Reply