Wrestle-1 thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Dragonzombie

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by Dragonzombie » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:36 pm

Hiroaki Murase is leaving. Heard rumors about Kono leaving as well, but please take it with a grain of salt.

Anyway Mutoh's role as chairman is somewhat being a figurehead, even if he gets paid from being part of W-1. A spokesman of sorts.

The new era begins soon.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:20 pm

Hope Murase and Kono show up in NOAH, then. Someone else suggested it first, but that company could do with some ex-W-1 heavyweights.

pol

Post by pol » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:09 pm

According to Jesse, Murase is KAI's boy. If that's true then it wouldn't be surprising to see him show up in AJPW (and ZERO1, I guess) soon.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:37 pm

I hope that both Kono and Murase land on their feet if they are on their way out. From a selfish perspective I hope KAI looks out for his boy Murase and gets him into All Japan, who could use another young talent on board.

I could see Kono work out in NOAH. Not as a guy on top but as a utility/secondary guy, which is his strongest suit. Just have him brawl with all the hard hitters.

It's pretty obvious that Hayashi and Kondo are moving the company into being more of a junior based promotion with all the younger talent they have at the center. And considering their rosters collective fame their attendances will seem much more expected than what I think most fans are expecting now. Accepting short term loss for long term gain

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:01 pm

Murase is in his thirties, he ain't that young.

And to be honest, W-1 always seemed meant to be a junior promotion, even before the WNC assimilation. They had all of four useful heavyweights in KAI, Kono, Sanada and Soya.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:23 pm

Danwaka wrote:Murase is in his thirties, he ain't that young.

And to be honest, W-1 always seemed meant to be a junior promotion, even before the WNC assimilation. They had all of four useful heavyweights in KAI, Kono, Sanada and Soya.
He's 29 and 4 years deep. So from a wrestling standpoint he's relatively young.

And yeah, W-1's roster has always screamed junior fed. If that is the route they go it will be interesting to see what happens with the cruiser belt if anything happens.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:10 pm

PKThree wrote:
Danwaka wrote:Murase is in his thirties, he ain't that young.

He's 29 and 4 years deep. So from a wrestling standpoint he's relatively young.

And yeah, W-1's roster has always screamed junior fed. If that is the route they go it will be interesting to see what happens with the cruiser belt if anything happens.
Goddamn it, I always mix him up with Hiroshi Yamato.

And I guess they could merge the cruiserweight and main titles. Start getting a W-1 Triple Crown Championship going... :D

Edit: I'd love it if they could get some of the ex-Osaka guys in there. HUB, Buffalo, Billy Ken Kid, Tsubasa... I know NOAH's got some DOVE guys now and AJPW's leaning towards Maruyama, but there's still some quality vets Shuji and Kaz should be looking at. Anything but Jun Kasai and Tokyo Gurentai again.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:17 am

Danwaka wrote: Goddamn it, I always mix him up with Hiroshi Yamato.

And I guess they could merge the cruiserweight and main titles. Start getting a W-1 Triple Crown Championship going... :D

Edit: I'd love it if they could get some of the ex-Osaka guys in there. HUB, Buffalo, Billy Ken Kid, Tsubasa... I know NOAH's got some DOVE guys now and AJPW's leaning towards Maruyama, but there's still some quality vets Shuji and Kaz should be looking at. Anything but Jun Kasai and Tokyo Gurentai again.
Apparently Kaz has opened talks with his old home of Michinoku Pro. Which would be a good and unique partnership in the current landscape. A lot of those guys don't work much outside of M-Pro (at least in their M-Pro characters)

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:16 pm

PKThree wrote:Apparently Kaz has opened talks with his old home of Michinoku Pro. Which would be a good and unique partnership in the current landscape. A lot of those guys don't work much outside of M-Pro (at least in their M-Pro characters)
M-Pro would be very interesting given how little tape those guys make. How Fujita Hayato hasn't gotten swooped up by NJPW is beyond me.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Danwaka wrote:
PKThree wrote:Apparently Kaz has opened talks with his old home of Michinoku Pro. Which would be a good and unique partnership in the current landscape. A lot of those guys don't work much outside of M-Pro (at least in their M-Pro characters)
M-Pro would be very interesting given how little tape those guys make. How Fujita Hayato hasn't gotten swooped up by NJPW is beyond me.
They say he was offered a deal a long time ago but stayed in M-Pro out of loyalty.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 pm

Seems like kaz wants to go with fighting spirit style wrestling or toukon (generic term for strong style). They have already been slowly going this way with the mostly black costumes the rookies have and lack of sports entertainment stuff, the submission finishes in the main event.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Dragonzombie wrote:Seems like kaz wants to go with fighting spirit style wrestling or toukon (generic term for strong style). They have already been slowly going this way with the mostly black costumes the rookies have and lack of sports entertainment stuff, the submission finishes in the main event.
Erm.........

No. The rookies in the black gear wear that for their "graduation" matches. Once they end up on actual W-1 shows they get real gear.

Kaz and Kondo are moving the company into becoming more like DG/Michinoku Pro since majority of the roster are smaller guys/high flyers. But it isn't a change that is going to happen overnight. It's also the type of stuff both guys were trained in and are comfortable putting together.

The reason Ashino won by submission is that his gimmick is that he is a shooter. Not because of some stylistic change for the entire company.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:23 pm

Actually I got the new info from a interview. He basically says fighting and struggle and strength. Also Mutoh's Ajpw had everyone in colored gear. Having black gear or at the start is part of the strong style image thing in Japan. Other promotions used colored gear mostly for rookies.

Yeah,there's going to be juniors and more juniors focus, but the main title is still openweight.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Dragonzombie wrote:Actually I got the new info from a interview. He basically says fighting and struggle and strength. Also Mutoh's Ajpw had everyone in colored gear. Having black gear or at the start is part of the strong style image thing in Japan. Other promotions used colored gear mostly for rookies.

Yeah,there's going to be juniors and more juniors focus, but the main title is still openweight.
Every promoter uses those words. Because it's wrestling and you expect to take part in struggles and grow in strength. Strength is basically every third word out of CIMA's mouth and Dragon Gate is as far from Strong Style as you can get.

Black trunks has nothing to do with strong style either. It means you have a lack of imagination with your rookie gear/lack of funds to splurge on training gear/don't see a need to give them an actual color until they develop a gimmick.

It wasn't just Mutoh's AJPW that had everyone in different colors. That goes back as long as AJPW has been a thing.

Having the belt openweight does not mean they are going strong style either. DDT's top belt is openweight, as is the Dragon Gate Dreamgate belt. It's an easy title to slap on for when you do get a non junior in the house.

Wrestle-1 is not going to and turn into a super serious strong style knockoff. Considering who runs it that sounds bizarre.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:37 pm

You are taking everything I say out of context. And telling me stuff I already know. I already knew about Ajpws colored trunks things.

There's legit books in Japanese I have read. And a entire wiki page in japan saying black shrunks are strong style for rookies In fact most workers used to have only black for natives, before Okada.

Never said openweight title is strong style but it's certainly not junior either. I can't see them doing the dg style, only a super junior style.