Wrestle-1 thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Wrestle-1 thread

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:01 am

Will it reach two pages before it folds?

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Re: Wrestle-1 thread

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:05 am

I just want it to die soon so my boy Shuji Kondo can go and do something meaningful and not waste a huge chunk of his prime.

br26
VOW Staff Member

Post by br26 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:44 pm

I desperately was hoping they'd actually do that US tour, just to see if they drew more than TNA house shows.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:38 pm

br26 wrote:I desperately was hoping they'd actually do that US tour, just to see if they drew more than TNA house shows.
That would've been great but it looked from all accounts that they were drawing at "Wrestling Is..." levels so it was wise to call it a day.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:58 am

So, Mutoh is rolling out the Wrestle-1 grand prix, which is supposed to be their answer to the G1 in their own words. It'll be a single eliminiation tournament featuring all the contracted talent and the two from Tokyo Gurentai.

The cards look as follows:

“WRESTLE-1 TOUR 2015 FLASHING SUMMER ~DAY BATTLE~”, 8/2/2015 [Sun] 13:00 @ Kasukabe Fureai Cube in Saitama
() W-1 GRAND PRIX 1st Round Match: KAZMA SAKAMOTO vs. Jay Freddie
() W-1 GRAND PRIX 1st Round Match: AKIRA vs. Kaz Hayashi
() W-1 GRAND PRIX 1st Round Match: MAZADA vs. Hiroki Murase
() W-1 GRAND PRIX 1st Round Match: Minoru Tanaka vs. Andy Wu
() W-1 GRAND PRIX 2nd Round Match: (Winner of AKIRA/Kaz) vs. Hiroshi Yamato
() W-1 GRAND PRIX 2nd Round Match: (Winner of MAZADA/Murase) vs. Shuji Kondo

“WRESTLE-1 TOUR 2015 FLASHING SUMMER ~NIGHT BATTLE~”, 8/2/2015 [Sun] 17:30 @ Kasukabe Fureai Cube in Saitama
() W-1 GRAND PRIX 1st Round Match: Yasufumi Nakanoue vs. Jiro “Ikemen” Kuroshio
() W-1 GRAND PRIX 1st Round Match: Masayuki Kono vs. Koji Doi
() W-1 GRAND PRIX 1st Round Match: Kumagoro vs. Ryota Hama
() W-1 GRAND PRIX 1st Round Match: Shotaro Ashino vs. NOSAWA Rongai
() W-1 GRAND PRIX 2nd Round Match: (Winner of Nakanoue/Kuroshio) vs. KAI
() W-1 GRAND PRIX 2nd Round Match: (Winner of Kono/Doi) vs. TAJIRI
() W-1 GRAND PRIX 2nd Round Match: (Winner of Kuma/Hama) vs. Manabu Soya

“WRESTLE-1 TOUR 2015 FLASHING SUMMER ~GRAND PRIX GUARTER-FINALS~”, 8/8/2015 [Sat] 18:00 @ Shinjuku FACE in Tokyo
() W-1 GRAND PRIX Quarter-final Match: (Winner of Kaz/AKIRA vs Yamato) vs. (Winner of KAZMA/Freddie)
() W-1 GRAND PRIX Quarter-final Match: (Winner of MAZADA/Murase vs Kondo) vs. (Winner of Minoru/Wu)
() W-1 GRAND PRIX Quarter-final Match: (Winner of Nakanoue/Kuroshio vs KAI) vs. (Winner of Kono/Doi vs TAJIRI)
() W-1 GRAND PRIX Quarter-final Match: (Winner of Kuma/Hama vs Manabu Soya) vs. (Winner of Ashino/NOSAWA)

“WRESTLE-1 TOUR 2015 FLASHING SUMMER ~ GRAND PRIX FINAL~”, 8/30/2015 [Sat] 18:00 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo
() W-1 GRAND PRIX Semi-final Match:
() W-1 GRAND PRIX Semi-final Match:
() W-1 GRAND PRIX Final Match:

Note no Hideki Suzuki, which fans the flames of the rumors of him leaving W-1.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:57 am

Was he ever actually a full time guy for W-1 though? I was under the impression he was a ZERO1 talent doing cross company work.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:10 pm

He was never under contract that is true. But he quickly became an integral part of their booking and arguably their most over guy not named Mutoh. One would think they would try to keep him around in some way.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:38 pm

That tournament looks horrendous on paper.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:31 pm

Zero1 can run a better looking tournament, how do the guys in W1 keep going, I would just be so unmotivated. Things aren't getting better and they never will.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:33 pm

Let's hope Takagi can work wonders with them. For a while their main event scene was really interesting. Soya, Kai, Suzuki and so forth putting in good efforts. But they really came off to a slow start and they are trying to be bigger than they are.

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:52 pm

There could be some pretty cool matches. Like PKT said, the main eventers are good and always work hard plus you've got the high workrate juniors in there that could lead to some good stuff.

Too bad the front office seems to lack direction currently, among other things.
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:03 pm

The problem with the junior division is that there aren't that many challengers lined up. They have a lot of juniors, but no clear challengers now that Seiki is out with an injury. Minoru is doing a good job as the first champ tho.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:22 am

If what Strigga said on twitter is true. Mutoh is thinking of running a fan poll on if Kai should get to keep the title, based off of the negative reaction to him winning it.

Poor guy, they are not handling building him into an ace well at all.

jesse

Post by jesse » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:24 pm

KAI is the biggest geek in wrestling and it isn't even his fault.

Look it's one thing if he would have lost to like Kono or Soya or Kondo but he lost to JIRO in the Grand Prix. Holy shit no wonder fans don't like the guy. And yeah, Hideki Suzuki is with Zero1. I don't know who's idea it was to have KAI beat him that fast for the belt but that was a horrible one. Takagi isn't the one booking the shows which is the main problem with W-1. I mean when they first had their tournament and Kono won be went and lost the belt to Mutoh on his first defense. AND MUTOH PURPOSELY WASN'T IN THE TOURNAMENT. How the hell can you expect fans to like anyone when the only guy that seems to be booked alright is Mutoh? :lol:
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:02 pm

jesse wrote:KAI is the biggest geek in wrestling and it isn't even his fault.

Look it's one thing if he would have lost to like Kono or Soya or Kondo but he lost to JIRO in the Grand Prix. Holy shit no wonder fans don't like the guy. And yeah, Hideki Suzuki is with Zero1. I don't know who's idea it was to have KAI beat him that fast for the belt but that was a horrible one. Takagi isn't the one booking the shows which is the main problem with W-1. I mean when they first had their tournament and Kono won be went and lost the belt to Mutoh on his first defense. AND MUTOH PURPOSELY WASN'T IN THE TOURNAMENT. How the hell can you expect fans to like anyone when the only guy that seems to be booked alright is Mutoh? :lol:
Speaking of Kono, he's been kicked out of Desperado as well. Granted by Doi which is a young lad they can build on. Maybe it isn't too late for Kai and Kono to go back to All Japan. It would take a while, but they could be salvaged into at least solid midcarder status.