Pro Wrestling NOAH (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
PKThree

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by PKThree » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:19 am

aivaz wrote:Akiyama took control in June 2014, no? So it's been a much longer road. The challenge Akiyama faced was/is deeper than it is for NOAH right now, I think.

I agree that they need a big singles star or something similar, it was the same with New Japan in 2012. Having a symbolic person or storyline that generates organic interest in the product and embodies resurgence is more important short-term than whether business actually improves or not. So long as the promotion has that symbol of positive growth and the crowds feel it, the real numbers will eventually follow.

I'm not sure, but often in these cases it feels like the solution is always under their nose. They already seem to be going in a positive direction.
Akiyama took over the company in June 2014 yeah, that's me mixing up years. But he initiated the big changes that led to saving the company in 2015. In 2014 they still tried to keep up the appearances it seems

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Well in 2014 they brought back Motoko Baba, so you can say that he wasn't in complete control of the company given she helped Akebono out a lot politically.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Danwaka wrote:Well in 2014 they brought back Motoko Baba, so you can say that he wasn't in complete control of the company given she helped Akebono out a lot politically.
This is true. In there were still strong powers backstage that demanded that things remain the way they were. And Baba had the money to make her voice heard.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:06 pm

Just wish she backed someone besides Akebono. Couldn't she have appreciated Joe Doering or something?

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:13 pm

Danwaka wrote:Just wish she backed someone besides Akebono. Couldn't she have appreciated Joe Doering or something?
Not to completely derail the thread with All Japan talk. But by late 2013 Bono had kind of clicked. He realized what he should focus on in ring to play to his strengths. He was also a big draw with casuals.

On the topic of NOAH: Harada, Hayata, Yo-hei and Tadasuke are officially a new unit (the first one in the new NOAH). They don't have a official name yet but the W.I.P name is Osaka-Gumi since they all hail from or have plied their craft mainly in Osaka.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:19 pm

PKThree wrote:
Danwaka wrote:Just wish she backed someone besides Akebono. Couldn't she have appreciated Joe Doering or something?
Not to completely derail the thread with All Japan talk. But by late 2013 Bono had kind of clicked. He realized what he should focus on in ring to play to his strengths. He was also a big draw with casuals.

On the topic of NOAH: Harada, Hayata, Yo-hei and Tadasuke are officially a new unit (the first one in the new NOAH). They don't have a official name yet but the W.I.P name is Osaka-Gumi since they all hail from or have plied their craft mainly in Osaka.
Huh. Harada, Hayata and Tadasuke were officially known as GLARE in Osaka Pro Wrestling. Not surprising they're revisiting that. An all junior stable is interesting though.

And IMO Akebono carried bad weight, had poor health and was too injury prone to be relied on, plus I don't know if his matches were that good overall. I'd have rather KAI stayed and Akebono left, frankly. Hell, I'd have liked to see him do a year's stint in NOAH instead of hold down the main event for AJPW in 2014. I've fantasy booked Jeff Cobb coming into AJPW in 2013 as his understudy/tag partner, but overall he really never did it for me in AJPW as I watch older shows in recent months on Real Hero.

Planet

Post by Planet » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:18 am

Sad, regardless of how much Bono had turned it around he ultimately fell off because of his injuries and wasn't going to stick around to carry the load anyway if you take him creating his own shows into the matter. Doering and Suwama being injured over the past year didn't help but in some ways it focused the roster and forced Miyahara's ascension, which was a positive. If all of them had stayed healthy AJ might still be pulling middling numbers like NOAH draws post-SZKG but also have no discernable direction.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:33 am

Kenoh turned on Kitamiya, officially aligning with Sugiura. The Tag Titles are vacant, and the match going into 3/12 seems to be Kenoh/Sugiura vs. Kitamiya/Yone. A very odd, but very smart swerve; I never would have predicted it, but super babyface Kitamiya and super dickhead Kenoh was an odd team to say the least, but they needed it to get over at the same time and set up this new feud.

Another alliance seems to be forming between Shiozaki, Tanichuchi, and Marufuji. No idea where this leaves Kotoge, who had the shit beaten out of him by Marufuji today. We also have the Osaka juniors who are now together, who can align with any of the two new alliances to form a large stable.

This is getting real interesting.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:58 am

So is Kiyomiya still with Sugiura as well?

pol

Post by pol » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:17 am

The Kenoh turn is a hotshot angle and feels a little Russo-y to me, but you could argue that hotshotting angles to build interest isn't the worst thing for them to be doing right now. I do think it devalues the tag titles though, and Kenoh immediately getting put into another match for the belts after throwing them away seems pretty silly to me.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:10 am

pol wrote:The Kenoh turn is a hotshot angle and feels a little Russo-y to me, but you could argue that hotshotting angles to build interest isn't the worst thing for them to be doing right now. I do think it devalues the tag titles though, and Kenoh immediately getting put into another match for the belts after throwing them away seems pretty silly to me.
I agree with all of this, with the caveat of wanting to see the tape to see how it came off, how the crowd reacted, etc. But on the surface, it reeks a bit of changing plans on the fly.

pol

Post by pol » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:30 am

Based on Twitter reactions it seems like it came off well to those in attendance, at least.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:22 pm

The card for the Great Voyage is interesting. The main event could be really awesome, I just hope they don't do a 40 minute match, this mentality that every NOAH main event needs to be so fucking long needs to go away. Also, Nakajima should retain obviously, he needs a long title reign.

Other singles matches look really cool, both Edwards and Storm will probably win and I see Ohara retaining too. I like how they are using Mutoh, altough I will admit that I have no idea who KAZMA is. Is that the W-1 one guy or something?

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Rainmaker_F7 wrote:The card for the Great Voyage is interesting. The main event could be really awesome, I just hope they don't do a 40 minute match, this mentality that every NOAH main event needs to be so fucking long needs to go away. Also, Nakajima should retain obviously, he needs a long title reign.

Other singles matches look really cool, both Edwards and Storm will probably win and I see Ohara retaining too. I like how they are using Mutoh, altough I will admit that I have no idea who KAZMA is. Is that the W-1 one guy or something?
KAZMA Sakamoto in WWE was the former manager to Tensai. He was previously signed with Wrestle 1 but now he is a freelancer.
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Great Voyage 2017

Special Six Man - Akitoshi Saito, Maybach Taniguchi & Yoshinari Ogawa vs. HAYATA, Rionne Fujiwara & YO-HEY
GHC Junior Heavyweight Tag Team - HI69 & Taiji Ishimori (c) vs. Daisuke Harada & Tadasuke
GHC Junior Heavyweight - Hajime Ohara (c) vs. Hitoshi Kumano
Special Singles - James Storm vs. Kaito Kiyomiya
Special Singles - Atsushi Kotoge vs. Eddie Edwards
Special Tag Team - Keiji Mutoh & Naomichi Marufuji vs. KAZMA & MOOSE
GHC Tag Team (?) - Kenoh & Takashi Sugiura vs. Masa Kitamiya & Mohammed Yone
GHC Heavyweight - Go Shiozaki vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima

That's not a bad little card, though I might have put Moose with someone more interesting as a partner.