Pro Wrestling NOAH (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
PKThree

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by PKThree » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:35 pm

So. ETA on how long after Yokohama that the roster's motivation takes a beating and the style slowly starts being less violent/intense?

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Selfishly I hope it never becomes less violent, absolutely loving how gnarly it has been so far.

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Murrr wrote:I'm absolutely loving NOAH the REBORN. NJPW is my favourite promotion, but NOAH's shows are the most consistently watchable (and fun!) in wrestling. Nothing on these shows is objectively bad, and while the highs mostly can't compete with NJPW's main eventers, the prelim stuff greatly outshines most of New Japan's early-show filler.

Getting into the company has made me want to address my historical NOAH blindspot as a project for 2017. I've seen an embarrassingly small share of the promotion's classic content, and I think it's time to address that.

Gonna use the wonderful RealHero Archive, of course, but it's tough to know where to get started. I wouldn't mind doing some kind of timeline, but there's an awful lot of content to dig through, and I don't have time to watch every damn thing. Any pointers? Thinking about taking this list (http://whatculture.com/wwe/15-amazing-p ... re-you-die) and working from there, but I'd appreciate some nudges on what to watch, what to avoid, and which specific wrestlers to research (outside of the obvious ones).
I don't want to link to it directly, so do a google search for: the ditch NOAH and then find the "chronological" NOAH list called the Emerald Emporium.

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:27 pm

saviorofstrongstyle wrote:
Murrr wrote:I'm absolutely loving NOAH the REBORN. NJPW is my favourite promotion, but NOAH's shows are the most consistently watchable (and fun!) in wrestling. Nothing on these shows is objectively bad, and while the highs mostly can't compete with NJPW's main eventers, the prelim stuff greatly outshines most of New Japan's early-show filler.

Getting into the company has made me want to address my historical NOAH blindspot as a project for 2017. I've seen an embarrassingly small share of the promotion's classic content, and I think it's time to address that.

Gonna use the wonderful RealHero Archive, of course, but it's tough to know where to get started. I wouldn't mind doing some kind of timeline, but there's an awful lot of content to dig through, and I don't have time to watch every damn thing. Any pointers? Thinking about taking this list (http://whatculture.com/wwe/15-amazing-p ... re-you-die) and working from there, but I'd appreciate some nudges on what to watch, what to avoid, and which specific wrestlers to research (outside of the obvious ones).
I don't want to link to it directly, so do a google search for: the ditch NOAH and then find the "chronological" NOAH list called the Emerald Emporium.
You're a saint. Cheers.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:18 pm

1 day until the big show and still tickets available for all sections it seems

Here's hoping for a strong turnout. The guys busting their asses deserve it

pol

Post by pol » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:48 pm

They're doing a 1 kid goes free with every adult gimmick so that should help the look of the crowd on camera (and perhaps the announced attendance depending if its paid or not) at least

pol

Post by pol » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:31 pm

They did 2504 which even beats out the last time they ran the building with Shibata and GBH there. I was just saying to brother Dylan Justin on Twitter how I couldn't believe they'd do a number like this because it would be contrary to all trends in every other building they've run recently, but here it is. I went on record with 1500-2000 as my prediction. Granted I'm sure the paper was flying for this show, but even then I'm kind of surprised. Much like the AJPW Sumo Hall show, putting on an event that at least can be perceived as a success, regardless of the reality, is a big win for them right now.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:45 am

Spring Navigation cards are out, and so are some Countdown to Global Tag League matches. Sugiura and Kenoh will defend against Marufuji and Taniguchi at Korakuen Hall on April 14th. Cody Hall will also make his debut on the Countdown tour, and Eddie Edwards is staying behind in Japan for both tours. Edwards fights Shiozaki on the 25th, and Hall gets his turn on April 14th.

Whether the Great Voyage was a success or not, there seemed to be a good vibe during that show judging by the noah_ghc hashtag. Kumano/Ohara, Kotoge/Edwards, and Shiozaki/Nakajima got good reactions. There was also the spectacle of the XX/RATEL'S match which impressed. The main event thankfully stayed under 30 minutes, while everything else was about average length.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:01 am

Can't blame NOAH for papering a major show, everyone does that to some extent. The important question is how many of those they can convert to paying fans down the road.

Good for Hall getting a new Japanese company to work for.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:37 pm

so im gonna watch NOAH One Night Cruise 2016 ..do you guys have a list of the best macthes since that event to these days?

thanks.

Superkix

Post by Superkix » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:00 pm

the Suzuki/Nakajima match from that show is probably the best NOAH match of 2016. other recommended matches:

- Shibata vs. Shiozaki (10/23/16)
- Nakajima vs. Sugiura (10/23/16)
- Nakajima vs. Suzuki (12/2/16)
- Sugiura vs. Suzuki (12/3/16)
- Ishimori vs. Ohara (1/7/17)
- Nakajima vs. Sugiura (1/7/17)
- Marufuji vs. Kiyomiya (1/21/17)
- Shiozaki/Maybach vs. Kenou/Kitamiya (1/21/17)

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:03 am

Thank YOU!

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:40 pm

monster mafia wrote:so im gonna watch NOAH One Night Cruise 2016 ..do you guys have a list of the best macthes since that event to these days?

thanks.
Personal ratings:

12/24: Momo vs. WCTT (***1/2), Sugiura vs. Marufuji (****), Nakajima vs. Masa (***3/4)
1/7: Ohara vs. Ishimori (****), Nakajima vs. Sugiura (****1/4)
1/9: Nakajima vs. Kenoh (****), Kotoge vs. Shiozaki (***1/2)
1/21: Marufuji vs. Kiyomiya (***1/2), Nakajima vs. Kotoge (***3/4), Harada vs. Ohara (****), Kenoh & Masa vs. Shiozaki & Taniguchi (****1/4)
2/14: Kenoh vs. Ohara (***1/2), Marufuji & Kumano vs. Sugiura & Kiyomiya (***3/4), Nakajima & Masa vs. Shiozaki & Taniguchi (****1/4)
2/18: Nakajima & Marufuji vs. Shiozaki & Taniguchi (***3/4)
2/24: Marufuji vs. Kotoge (***1/2), Nakajima & Ohara vs. Shiozaki & Kumano (***3/4)
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:22 pm

thank you very much!

ThreeAndAHalf

Post by ThreeAndAHalf » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Great Voyage was solid front to back, but if you're strapped for time I'd recommend the Jr tag match, Edwards vs Kotoge, Heavyweight tag, and the main.

Does anyone know how to get NOAH merch online? The webstore is always down when I check it.