Pro Wrestling NOAH (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
User avatar
Statoke
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:55 am
Location: Chester, England

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by Statoke » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:51 pm

This show looks really good but how that final match plays out is so important. If its a Noah "epic" match then I'm probably gonna be down on the whole thing. That opening six man is just so me.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

User avatar
Jacob's Bawks
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:16 pm

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:48 am

I get the complaints about the turn, but at the same time they needed both guys to get over at about the same time and carve out their place on the card. If it was Sugi/Kenoh from the beginning, it'd left Masa aimless and vice-versa for Masa/Yone. Plus now we have a little heat between Kenoh and Masa, which might be a long-term feud. It's a bit silly, as pol said, but this by itself isn't too big a scratch on the titles. Now if stuff like this becomes a common occurrence, then I'd be annoyed.

Nakajima's been really good with all of his title matches so far, so even if it goes 30+ (pls God no) it might not be bad or particularly boring. Their interactions have been great so far, so right now I'm optimistic.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

User avatar
packerman120
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:51 am

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by packerman120 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:06 am

I am very intrigued by the possibility of Marufuji and MOOSE working together.

User avatar
ScorpioCorp
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:49 am
Location: Cypress Creek

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by ScorpioCorp » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:12 am

I'm not against Nakajima & Shiozaki going over 30 minutes because they are talented enough to have a classic that goes that distance. I love long matches when done right like Omega vs Okada, Okada vs Suzuki & Elgin vs Naito. They have that big fight feel to them.

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:14 am

ScorpioCorp wrote:I'm not against Nakajima & Shiozaki going over 30 minutes because they are talented enough to have a classic that goes that distance. I love long matches when done right like Omega vs Okada, Okada vs Suzuki & Elgin vs Naito. They have that big fight feel to them.
The problem is it's hard to have confidence that they'll work a compelling match that long because the recent NOAH track record in that regard (often involving these same men) has not been great.

User avatar
mrjoshdude
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:04 pm

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by mrjoshdude » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:54 pm

Finally got around to watching some NOAH the REBORN after hearing how good it apparently was on the podcast a little while ago. I put it off for a while and got caught up with everything else first because when I saw everyone talking about how great NOAH had been in 2017 I assumed what they meant was great for NOAH standards. I watched the 1/7 show with Nakajima/Sugiura and immediately put the rest of their 2017 shows on my watch list. I was so incredibly surprised by the shear quality of that show, it's got all the same guys in basically all the same matches but it's like they've all had their pay doubled or something. They're working like NOAH is gonna shut down in a month and they want to give it the best matches of their lives. I never thought I'd say this but I think NOAH might be my number 1 priority for watching after NJPW and maybe Dragon Gate right now. I thought the first half of the show ranged from good to excellent with no bad matches whatsoever, the second half though was absolutely bonkers. I saw some people saying they didn't like the tag match, man I don't know what kind of mushrooms you guys are eating, I thought it was amazing, surefire MOTYC for me. I had Ohara/Ishimori around ****1/4 and the tag match and Nakajima/Sugiura at ****1/2. I absolutely adored the story of Kotoge trying to prove he deserved to be in the heavyweights, even though Go hit harder and could take every shot Kotoge could throw and was just all around better, Kotoge was just unwilling to give up out of sheer pride. That headbutt spot was insane and I hope they never do it again, by my word did it add to the match, Go looked like a fucking mad man covered in blood and trying to legitimately murder Kotoge at the end. I loved it. I appreciated the main event just as much but I didn't quite feel it like I did with the tag match. My next watch will be the show where Kenou and Kitamiya win the tag belts, I'm hearing it's just as good so I'm definitely looking forward to that. NOAH could sneak onto my promotion of the year ballot by the end of 2017 and could end up quite high if they manage to keep this insanity up.

User avatar
pol
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:50 am

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by pol » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:49 am

How sustainable the current level of physicality is is definitely question worth asking.

User avatar
Jacob's Bawks
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:16 pm

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:33 am

mrjoshdude wrote:Finally got around to watching some NOAH the REBORN after hearing how good it apparently was on the podcast a little while ago. I put it off for a while and got caught up with everything else first because when I saw everyone talking about how great NOAH had been in 2017 I assumed what they meant was great for NOAH standards. I watched the 1/7 show with Nakajima/Sugiura and immediately put the rest of their 2017 shows on my watch list. I was so incredibly surprised by the shear quality of that show, it's got all the same guys in basically all the same matches but it's like they've all had their pay doubled or something. They're working like NOAH is gonna shut down in a month and they want to give it the best matches of their lives. I never thought I'd say this but I think NOAH might be my number 1 priority for watching after NJPW and maybe Dragon Gate right now. I thought the first half of the show ranged from good to excellent with no bad matches whatsoever, the second half though was absolutely bonkers. I saw some people saying they didn't like the tag match, man I don't know what kind of mushrooms you guys are eating, I thought it was amazing, surefire MOTYC for me. I had Ohara/Ishimori around ****1/4 and the tag match and Nakajima/Sugiura at ****1/2. I absolutely adored the story of Kotoge trying to prove he deserved to be in the heavyweights, even though Go hit harder and could take every shot Kotoge could throw and was just all around better, Kotoge was just unwilling to give up out of sheer pride. That headbutt spot was insane and I hope they never do it again, by my word did it add to the match, Go looked like a fucking mad man covered in blood and trying to legitimately murder Kotoge at the end. I loved it. I appreciated the main event just as much but I didn't quite feel it like I did with the tag match. My next watch will be the show where Kenou and Kitamiya win the tag belts, I'm hearing it's just as good so I'm definitely looking forward to that. NOAH could sneak onto my promotion of the year ballot by the end of 2017 and could end up quite high if they manage to keep this insanity up.
I think you'll like Kotoge/Go, Nakajima/Kenoh, and Sugiura/Kiyomiya on 1/9. The Nakajima match was a personal four stars, while Kotoge/Go advanced the Kotoge story and was really good even if it was a bit long. Sugiura/Kiyomiya was really good and it was when Kiyomiya joined Sugiura so give it a watch.

2/14 had a hot, fun opener. A really good Kenoh/Ohara match, and two really good tags to finish it off.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

User avatar
Danwaka
Posts: 843
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 8:15 pm
Location: Amman, Jordan

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by Danwaka » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:36 am

pol wrote:How sustainable the current level of physicality is is definitely question worth asking.
The King's Road guys lasted decades breaking each other's necks, so I can't imagine this will be more damaging?

User avatar
pol
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:50 am

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by pol » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:51 am

Those guys were presumably making a hell of a lot more money :P

User avatar
Danwaka
Posts: 843
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 8:15 pm
Location: Amman, Jordan

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by Danwaka » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:38 pm

pol wrote:Those guys were presumably making a hell of a lot more money :P
What if they weren't and that's why NOAH is doing so badly right now? :P

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:34 pm

I figured they'd take it easy on lesser shows, but everything I've seen is just as physical.

They won't last. They can't. They aren't doing head drops, which is more long term slow damage, but the hard striking will wear them down physically.

User avatar
Jacob's Bawks
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:16 pm

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:01 pm

The 2/24 NOAH show was pretty dang good. The main event and Marufuji/Kotoge were the best matches, but everything else was so consistently good around the 3.25-3.5 range, making it a breeze to get through. The only match that lost me was Kenoh/Kitamiya vs. Sugiura/Kiyomiya. I dunno what it was, but it seemed to have lost me and the crowd. Though they did pop for the Kenoh/Sugi fistbump.

The main event made me even more hyped for the 3/12 main event, as Nakajima and Shiozaki have done nothing but murder each other all month. It suffered from the usual pitfall of going too long (27 mins), but it was four men just being dicks to each other for that entire timeframe up until the abrupt end. I enjoyed it. Looking back, I might not give it 4* but it was really damn good even if long and ended flatly. The theme of these tag matches has been Nakajima getting the better of Go almost every time, so I hope they're not telegraphing an upset.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

User avatar
Dragonzombie
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by Dragonzombie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:04 pm

Danwaka wrote:
pol wrote:How sustainable the current level of physicality is is definitely question worth asking.
The King's Road guys lasted decades breaking each other's necks, so I can't imagine this will be more damaging?
Most of them workers worked in pain. Lot of ex noah and Ajpw guys are really broken down.

User avatar
Murrr
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:49 am
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Contact:

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by Murrr » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:56 pm

I'm absolutely loving NOAH the REBORN. NJPW is my favourite promotion, but NOAH's shows are the most consistently watchable (and fun!) in wrestling. Nothing on these shows is objectively bad, and while the highs mostly can't compete with NJPW's main eventers, the prelim stuff greatly outshines most of New Japan's early-show filler.

Getting into the company has made me want to address my historical NOAH blindspot as a project for 2017. I've seen an embarrassingly small share of the promotion's classic content, and I think it's time to address that.

Gonna use the wonderful RealHero Archive, of course, but it's tough to know where to get started. I wouldn't mind doing some kind of timeline, but there's an awful lot of content to dig through, and I don't have time to watch every damn thing. Any pointers? Thinking about taking this list (http://whatculture.com/wwe/15-amazing-p ... re-you-die) and working from there, but I'd appreciate some nudges on what to watch, what to avoid, and which specific wrestlers to research (outside of the obvious ones).

Post Reply