Pro Wrestling NOAH (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
pol

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by pol » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:33 pm

I wonder if people don't overrate Makabe as a draw just because he has some small degree of mainstream celebrity. There's plenty of examples of mainstream fame at a much higher level than Makabe not translating to drawing in a pro wrestling context.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:52 pm

pol wrote:I wonder if people don't overrate Makabe as a draw just because he has some small degree of mainstream celebrity. There's plenty of examples of mainstream fame at a much higher level than Makabe not translating to drawing in a pro wrestling context.
If he wasn't some sort of draw then he'd be the same boat as Team Dad with being beat up as he is. Tetsuya Naito and Ishii would have lapped him already, even if Shibata and Ibushi had the not-NJPW stink about them.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:25 pm

pol wrote:I wonder if people don't overrate Makabe as a draw just because he has some small degree of mainstream celebrity. There's plenty of examples of mainstream fame at a much higher level than Makabe not translating to drawing in a pro wrestling context.
He did OK as like the #5 or #6 guy last year when he was NEVER champ, when he headlined those random ~2,000-3,000 seat Road To buildings when they didn't want to burn a legit match but still needed to sell some tix. I don't think he can be counted on for more than that at this point, though.

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:00 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:I had the O/U at 1800, so I would call 2,104 a (very) slight win. They were slightly up from Great Voyage Osaka, and slightly down from the last Yokohama (the Suguira title win over Marufuji which I believe was the final handwave moment by the hardcore NOAH fans, as things REALLY spiraled from there). A push number in reality, but I really thought it would be below 2k because Yokohama was burned with the Maru title loss last time that never should have happened.

As for Differ, it's so hard to break down such a small building, but they beat every show this year that didn't have a title match main event, and were below the ones that did. I have no idea what to make of that, other than it isn't really a positive or a negative.

A push week for NOAH. I think the negative momentum has stopped since the Okada Korakuen show, but there is no real positive momentum to speak of. Now we see what happens with Nakajima. Very curious how Korakuen does with the new champ, especially if it features little or no NJPW involvement.
Well the Global League will really outline the path for NOAH going forward. I see Suzuki winning the tournament by defeating Shiozaki in the final as Minoru has been kept out of the title picture for a long time now. Plus, its to soon for Shiozaki/Nakajima and Suzuki is a big enough name to name to give Nakajima a credible title defense. Also, it is not 100% predictable since fans will have NOAH booking (Suzukigun guy winning immediately after big payoff at the back of their minds.

jesse

Post by jesse » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:38 pm

You are all forgetting this show was in Yokohama - not Tokyo or Osaka. While New Japan has overall popularity that NOAH show was not in one of their strongholds. Not every New Japan fan will go to a NOAH show either.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

pol

Post by pol » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:51 pm

i mentioned that actually
pol wrote:You could either conclude that without the NJPW guys the attendance would've been completely disastrous, or that NJPW guys just aren't that much of a draw in NOAH (perhaps outside of Tokyo specifically). The Differ number from last night would also support the latter thesis.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:17 am

Food for thought: What has better attendance, NOAH or the NWA?

jesse

Post by jesse » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:19 pm

To put it into context it was mentioned on Twitter that this show did better than Big Japan's Endless Survivor and W1's big show in Yokohama.

NOAH did 2,104
Endless Survivor did 2,050
W1 did 1,902

NOAH drew 54 more people than Big Japan and 202 more than Wrestle-1 and that's with New Japan talent on the card.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:20 pm

Danwaka wrote:Food for thought: What has better attendance, NOAH or the NWA?
Not even close. NWA affiliates are doing literally next to nothing. IWHE hosted Parade of Champions during WrestleMania weekend, a loaded show with every champion and major NWA name (including the traveling Chase Owens vs Jason Kincaid match), plus Jim Cornette, the HOF gimmick, etc and drew about 300. And that was a stand alone show on Thursday before anything else in town had gotten underway.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:13 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Not even close. NWA affiliates are doing literally next to nothing. IWHE hosted Parade of Champions during WrestleMania weekend, a loaded show with every champion and major NWA name (including the traveling Chase Owens vs Jason Kincaid match), plus Jim Cornette, the HOF gimmick, etc and drew about 300. And that was a stand alone show on Thursday before anything else in town had gotten underway.
Not even cumulatively across the territories? You'd think Tharpe would just not let people have the license if he was the only one drawing.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:38 pm

Danwaka wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:
Not even cumulatively across the territories? You'd think Tharpe would just not let people have the license if he was the only one drawing.
lol

That lol isn't meant to shame you, but most of the NWA affiliates are tiny Texas indies like NWA Texoma or small Appalachian indies like NWA Smoky Mountain. Part of the issue with the NWA is that there is no flagship territory/promotion. NWA Houston pretty much was, and they were doing interesting things like running Paul Boesch tribute shows and bringing in NJPW talent, but Tharpe power played Chris Ronquillo out of the picture and Chris then left the NWA entirely. Inspire was on board and was briefly the home of the NWA Women's division (with full booking autonomy of the belt, a deal cut by Ronquillo), but after Ronquillo left Tharpe authorized a title switch behind their backs so Inspire said fuck this shit and pulled out.

Anyone who wants to pay the yearly dues can get the license. And if I told you what the dues cost, you'd be shocked (hint: not much, as in you might have enough in your pocket right now).

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:32 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
Danwaka wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:
lol

That lol isn't meant to shame you, but most of the NWA affiliates are tiny Texas indies like NWA Texoma or small Appalachian indies like NWA Smoky Mountain. Part of the issue with the NWA is that there is no flagship territory/promotion. NWA Houston pretty much was, and they were doing interesting things like running Paul Boesch tribute shows and bringing in NJPW talent, but Tharpe power played Chris Ronquillo out of the picture and Chris then left the NWA entirely. Inspire was on board and was briefly the home of the NWA Women's division (with full booking autonomy of the belt, a deal cut by Ronquillo), but after Ronquillo left Tharpe authorized a title switch behind their backs so Inspire said fuck this shit and pulled out.

Anyone who wants to pay the yearly dues can get the license. And if I told you what the dues cost, you'd be shocked (hint: not much, as in you might have enough in your pocket right now).
I dunno Joe, I'm pretty poor. I guess I'd have to take it on my debit card if I really wanted to, but I suppose booking Tim Storm, Rob Conway and Kahagas to headline my NWA Arabia shows would be worth it.And Amber Gallows would kill it in the Hijab and Burka matches against Raisha Saeed.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:04 am

Danwaka wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:
Danwaka wrote:
lol

I dunno Joe, I'm pretty poor. I guess I'd have to take it on my debit card if I really wanted to, but I suppose booking Tim Storm, Rob Conway and Kahagas to headline my NWA Arabia shows would be worth it.And Amber Gallows would kill it in the Hijab and Burka matches against Raisha Saeed.

AHAHAHAHA

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:25 am

Danwaka wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:
Danwaka wrote:
lol

HAHHAHHAHAHAHA
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Shibata-Shiozaki was awesome. Go watch this match.