Pro Wrestling NOAH (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Pro Wrestling NOAH (Discussion)

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:00 am

Discuss who will save NOAH from Suzuki-gun and all other NOAH related topics here.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Re: NOAH - Who is NOAH's savior??

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:03 am

Am I crazy, or is Chris Hero an outsider to be NOAH's savior? He's over, increasingly so every showing, and NOAH seems to really like him. I still think Marufuji with a run in from Kobashi is the most likely scenario, but Hero is at least a possibility in my mind at this point.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:09 am

See, I was going to say the same sort of thing.

I really wish sometimes that NOAH were a gutsy, risk taking promotion (who didn't have to keep NJPW happy), as opposed to... you know, NOAH. I'm pretty sure NOAH's the only major Japanese promotion who've never had a foreign World Champion. For 14 years.

Hero's good enough to fill the Morishima void of big guy and talented enough to be so much different than Morishima. He can have long matches. He'd basically have fresh matches with the entire roster, because nobody really remembers any of his Global League matches vividly. And there might not be a match I'm more interested in than Hero/Suzuki at this point, presuming they're in the Global League.

But the chances of New Japan agreeing to Chris Hero being the guy who beats Suzuki for the title seem pretty slim and even if New Japan had no input, the chances of NOAH doing it are pretty slim too. They'll probably just go with the safest option, which'd probably be Sugiura, which'd probably be a really good match but wouldn't do a thing for anyone excitement wise after that.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Whether its Hero or not, I'm a firm believer that the "savior" needs to be someone from the outside. If it's not, then what has NOAH really gained? What does Suugiura, Kobashi, Takayama finally beating Suzuki do? They will be in the same spot they were before with most of the same guys. Sure, those could be great matches along the way and Kobashi vs. Suzuki HAS to happen at some point but you need to make that win count.

The win needs to launch someone into the next stratosphere.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:12 am

Suzuki/Izuka/Benjamin vs Takayama/Marufuji/Sugiura was a nice little six man

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:11 am

Hero's a foreigner. In this sort of storyline him being the one to win the title wouldn't work. Not that I'm not a fan of his. He has a place, maybe even one day he could be the champ. But that's not now.

I'm not as married to the idea of it being an Outsider as most others are. Really this whole storyline I don't feel like has done much good, but I think it's of much greater importance for "the man" to be someone young enough to get pushed hard for at least a year as your biggest star. To me Kobashi or one of those guys are what hurt them bad before, I don't want to see that. I want to see a new star of some sort.

I know this probably won't be popular, but I'd love to see Hideki come over for just a one off, since it's such a great storyline and God knows him & Minoru could have a storyline that goes all sorts of directions with the brother angle at work. Hideki could also really bring the best out of him I feel which I don't think Marufuji has at all. But anyway, back on topic to who it should be as fun as that Hideki thing would be, Nakajima w/Sasaki would be logical, probably a draw, and he's always been a guy that needed "that big win". Sekimoto would be awesome but they'd have to get him officially signed with NOAH and as long as Jado's got power, well, you see how they've handled him this year after last year Sekimoto looked on the verge after that awesome Sugiura match. Otherwise there really is no obvious answer so we'll just have to wait and see where it goes. It probably will end being some old guy in all fairness. And of those guys, Kawada brings the best match and since he never officially retired you have the retirement show draw in your back pocket too so I'd hope for him.
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:00 pm

I had not considered Sekimoto as an option, would he be willing to drop BJW though? He seems like the super loyal type to me. Would Noah be willing to do a split contract like with Ibushi?
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

Andy Doran

Post by Andy Doran » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:27 am

Something else to consider -- once NOAH's savior wins the day and runs off Suzuki-gun, who are the the other stars in the promotion to step up and lead it? This angle has to produce other stars who can help carry the wagon, or the whole thing is for naught. That's why I think Suzuki keeps the strap for a while longer, until some new viable top guys are produced... which might be a long while at that.

strikamura

Post by strikamura » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:22 pm

Really liked the two recent Harada/Kotoge matches. Thought Kotoge was particularly great in the 7/1 match.

Taichi/Maru from 7/1 was also legitimately good. Fun, wacky match.

whoknew

Post by whoknew » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:47 pm

One of the most incredibly frustrating situation is that they do have THE guy in Katsuhiko Nakajima, who I thought when KENTA left, would finally have him step up as a a major player to fill the void as he;s one from the NOAH heydays which would be easily accepted as a credible upper tier guy on the roster without having to search high and low in their already vanishshingly thin,aging roster.

Sure he is not offcially affiliated to the NOAH brand, but that is an argument for another time because if he's not NOAH enough, then what the hell does working in the promotion for virtually since he started his career make him? When the Suzukigoons invasion started, I had hopes they would eventually build him up to be the one to dethrown Suzuki (and still hopeful that it would be him)and finally grabbing the brass ring. Instead, much like with each year that's passed, he is still relegated to 3rd match from the bottom in nothing tag matches with no sense of direction, and more frustratingly, a guy who is a good hand to have good matches wasted in obscurity because tell me, how many of you never even had the idea once came to you that Nakajima could be a credible challenger ?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:47 pm

Joe and I mentioned him right off the bat as the only legit, younger guys you can put in that spot. We broke it down at length but quickly realized they probably wouldn't do it. I'm with you, he's always been the easy answer but I'm guessing that's not happening anytime soon.

Andy Doran

Post by Andy Doran » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:55 am

strikamura wrote:Really liked the two recent Harada/Kotoge matches. Thought Kotoge was particularly great in the 7/1 match.

Taichi/Maru from 7/1 was also legitimately good. Fun, wacky match.
Agreed. Harada has been under the radar, buried in all the Suzuki-gun shit. He's been having some good matches. Kotoge is hit and miss for me, but I liked the 7/1 match. Even though Kenoh just transferred over and would seem a logical choice to win the Junior League, I wouldn't mind Harada winning it and getting one last shot at Taichi.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:03 am

ROH put out a video from tonight's show, that featured War Machine, after their match, saying that they're going to NOAH to take the GHC Heavyweight Tag Team Titles from The Killer Elite Squad.

It should be interesting to see War Machine in NOAH. I'm not sure when this match would happen, or when War Machine is going to Japan, since War Machine vs. KES has already been announced for Field of Honor in late-August. I could very well be before, since ROH isn't running any shows from Death Before Dishonor XIII weekend in Baltimore in late-July until the Philly/Brooklyn shows in late-August. I think there's a NOAH Tour going on during the G1 Climax, so I guess it could happen there.

I wonder if they will do a title switch on the tour. I can't see ROH & NOAH/NJPW wanting either team losing twice. They could put the titles on War Machine on the tour and have KES win them back at Field of Honor, or KES could win the title defense in NOAH, and War Machine can win in Brooklyn (a non-title match at the moment).

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:32 am

Either way, great for War Machine, I'm a big fan and they deserve the extra bookings in Japan. Hopefully they can parlay this into a more regular thing.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Here's some food for thought. Who will betray NOAH for Suzuki-gun if it happens?

This usually happens in these types of angles in Japan, one or two workers switch over to the invaders/betray the good guys. Yujiro jumped to the BC, Kenzo betrayed Go to form Dark Kingdom (lot of good that did) and Dragon Gate is just a revolving door at times for stuff like this.

Who would betray NOAH for Suzuki if something like this happens?