CMLL, the home of Cavernario

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Rah

Re: CMLL, the home of Cavernario

Post by Rah » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:50 am

That gif reminds me... biggest athletic/talent gaps between wrestlers and their minis? I'd guess Mascara Sagrada has that one wrapped, though.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:52 pm

Shocker and Shockercito is a pretty big gap. Shocker isn't a non-athlete or anything, but there isn't any way he's doing half the shit that Cito does.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:35 pm

Probably Sagrada, yeah, unless we're forgetting something painfully obvious.

Boss Diablo has uploaded this yesterday. I've never watched it before. It's an amazing mask match, so interesting to see such a workrate hectic in 1983. Rayo Jr. was making all the horrific torture noises during first two falls. And the video title has it wrong, it's Egipcio, not Faraon.

Rah

Post by Rah » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:22 pm

AH NUTS.

I downloaded that video today, hoping to see some more Faraon. I've seen that match a couple times, and gif'd a few moments. Egipcio takes a HELLUVA beating there, and anyone who thinks lucha rings are jumping castles needs to see Egipcio's head come up short when hitting it. Chismo's not lying about Rayo putting over the torturous nature of an apuesta bout... perhaps a bit too comedic at times

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:29 pm

No discussion of Cavernario vs. Triton in here lads? what the heck?? I thought it was by far Cavernario's best ever performance. Admittedly I haven't been as big a fan of his as some, but he totally won me over here. And this Triton, I've NEVER heard much about him but he was incredible here. Might be in my top 5 lucha matches ever.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:32 pm

my bad, just saw it linked by Chismo on Pg9. Didn't realise it happened all the way back in September.

TKD

Post by TKD » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:51 am

Alan4L wrote:And this Triton, I've NEVER heard much about him but he was incredible here.
For some background, Tritón has always been flashy dating back to his days as Metal Blanco, but he had a long stretch of consistency issues until 2014. These were more mental than anything else, and probably not helped by the fact that he's had two regular partners (first Máscara Dorada, later Titán) rise up the cards faster than he and thereby more or less end the team.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:09 am

Rush/Sombra: http://www.clarosports.com/lucha-libre/ ... ra-574701/

Good match, but not great.

JML

Post by JML » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:32 pm

Chismo wrote:Rush/Sombra: http://www.clarosports.com/lucha-libre/ ... ra-574701/

Good match, but not great.
Thanks for posting this. I messed up and fell asleep after work and missed the whole show.

I agree that the match was good but not great. I was surprised how much the crowd was booing both guys and how back and forth it was. Still feel iffy that Sombra is staying in CMLL or not, despite what he's saying publicly. And I'm basing it off of how other people have left for WWE. (examples like Dark Angel, ADR and Mistico.)

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:35 am

I said it earlier that Tritón was probably one of the most improved guys in wrestling and that match is a great example of that. I too am not in love with Cavernario but he did a great job in that match, as well as the Titán match from May which I actually liked even better.

Rush/Sombra are both actual heels, I knew neither would get cheered. They seemed to be training for a mini version of a big NJPW match than have an epic and I enjoy it for that. If they go all out and have a truly big match they have something special in them I think.
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:53 am

FantasticaMania 2016

Mistico
Volador Jr.
Atlantis
Guerrero Maya Jr.
Dragon Lee
Stuka Jr.
Fuego
Mascara Dorada
Titan
the Panther
Mephisto
Ultimo Guerrero
Hechicero
Bobby Z
Virus
Barbaro Cavernario
Okumura

pol

Post by pol » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:42 am

Rush vs. Sombra did some damage to my opinion of both guys as singles workers. There are ways to work a heel vs. heel match to elicit a stronger crowd response - Sombra should have played de facto babyface with Rush giving him a serious beatdown - but they obviously had an idea for a match and weren't willing to adjust for context. Even ignoring that, I still thought the match was bad. They were just doing moves with no sense of build or psychology. Sombra kicking out of a Rush move and hitting a Shadow Driver with no transition was particularly egregious. The sloppy imitations of Japanese spots (an annoying trend in general) were cringe inducing.

Frankly between this and Volador/Sombra (one of the most utterly moronic matches I've seen this year) I'm pretty worried about how the CMLL main event singles match style is going to look after the old guys finally hang it up.

SammyJ_D

Post by SammyJ_D » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:09 pm

thecubsfan wrote:FantasticaMania 2016

Mistico
Volador Jr.
Atlantis
Guerrero Maya Jr.
Dragon Lee
Stuka Jr.
Fuego
Mascara Dorada
Titan
the Panther
Mephisto
Ultimo Guerrero
Hechicero
Bobby Z
Virus
Barbaro Cavernario
Okumura
This is DEFINITELY a more hits than misses lineup. Heck, this might have more homeruns than misses. Maya, Dragon Lee, Titan, Panther, Hechicero, Virus, and Cavernario! Wowowowowowow!

pol

Post by pol » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Yeah that lineup is absolutely great. Don't know why it took 2 years to send the 2014 En Busca final four over but I'm glad they finally did it.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Excellent line-up. Now watch Atlantis, UG, Volador, Mistico and Okumura getting booked in all the mano-a-manos, with Virus and Panther doing token lucha spots in Mascara Don and Eddie Taguchi prelims.