wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
steve

Re: wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Post by steve » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:34 pm

I feel like a complete idiot (Der Idiot ?) for not being able to navigage WXW's website and find the 16 Carat on-demand content.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:03 pm

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:07 pm

I never noticed that the wXw website is not even available in English. That seems like a big oversight if they want to attract more international fans.

And yes Steve it is der Idiot is in fact the correct article to use there. ;)
It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

steve

Post by steve » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:57 pm

van Fair wrote:I never noticed that the wXw website is not even available in English. That seems like a big oversight if they want to attract more international fans.

And yes Steve it is der Idiot is in fact the correct article to use there. ;)
Ich bedanke mich bei Ihnen.

I've not seen any wXw, but listening to the last Brit Wrestle podcast I can no longer resist.

Blueisthecolour

Post by Blueisthecolour » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:14 pm

Found out by chance that wxw' stuff including 16 carat is on highspots on demand service.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:18 am

Ospreay and Scurll killed it yesterday. Best match I have ever seen live. Buy this show once it comes up on vimeo for that match alone.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Fri May 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Superstars of Wrestling Night 1 has been uploaded on Vimeo now. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/wxwmtw2016/165403735

I attended the show live and watched it again yesterday to make sure the matches I liked hold up on rewatch.

wXw World Tag Team Title Match
Cerberus (Ilja Dragunov & Julian Nero) (w/Adam Polak & Dirty Dragan) (c) vs. Sumerian Death Squad (Michael Dante & Tommy End)

I was quite excited when this match was announced late for this card, as I am quite a big fan of Ilja Dragunov and the SDS. But I ended up being disappointed by this. There was some nice crowd brawling to start off, but it slowed down afterwards and then just never went into another gear. I liked it a bit more on rewatch but it was still just a match.

GFW NEXGEN Title Match
Sonjay Dutt (c) vs. Black Fire

This was quite fun although it took them a while to hook the crowd. The NEXGEN title is supposed to be GFWs version of the cruiserweight/x-division title and for that it looks ridiculously huge. Then again who cares about GFW. Sonjay Dutt is still very good and I think he is a bit wasted being attached to the hip with Jarett. Black Fire was not someone I was a huge fan of based off previous work, but he is one of those workers that comes across a lot better and more charismatic live. This probably should have been the opener as it was the style of match that is more suited to that.

Singles Match
Bobby Gunns vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

Bobby Gunns is one of the most talented guys on the wXw roster and he has come a long way in the past 6 months. He actually beat ZSJ at the wXws shoot style tournament Ambition and so this the rematch from that. This really is more of an exhibition with both guys showing off their technical skill and unfortunately I have to say they lost the crowd a bit here. Nevertheless this is worth a watch just to watch Bobby Gunns as he is definitely a guy people should keep their eye on.

Singles Match
Axel Dieter Jr. vs. Sasa Keel

Until the next match this was my match of the night. This was just a great Speed vs Power fight and it devolved into just a drag out brawl towards the end. Keel has an amazing presence live and the dude is just incredibly strong. I did not like the finish at first but thinking about it afterwards and watching it again it makes sense with the storyline they are telling with ADJ. Early on Keel got his nose busted open and in a great visual that was unfortunately missed by the cameras he had the blood running down his teeth while Axel had him in a hammerlock. This might become my favorite match from this card again if I rewatch it a couple of times. I love how they are fighting for every hold and it just becomes incredibly nasty very quickly.

Singles Match
Marty Scurll vs. Will Ospreay

After it ended this was easily my match of the night and it still is the best match I ever watched live. I went into it with tamed expectations as this did not have the stakes of their Progress match so I suspected them to not go all out. But going all out is exactly what they did. They worked an incredibly fun spot fest and kept up a frenetic pace throughout the entire match. Not a huge amount of psychology to be found here, but it is still well worth a watch. These guys are just so good at what they do and the crowd went just absolutely mental at the end of this match.

Singles Match
Big Daddy Walter vs. Gangrel

Better than expected honestly. Walter is awesome but I have never had a high opinion of Gangrel's wrestling skills. He held up his end of the bargain better than I thought, especially considering his age and the fact that he is not really an active wrestler anymore. It was fine for what it was.

wXw Shotgun Title Match (Special Enforcer: Nigel McGuinness)
Da Mack (c) vs. Kim Ray (w/Ivanov)

Kim Ray is an amazing heel, it is just so much fun to boo this guy. He has an all time great shit eating grin and he is incredibly over with the crowd as a heel, which with the smarky crowd in Hamburg is quite an achievement. His arsenal is flashy enough to keep the crowd invested but not too flashy that it gets him cheered. Da Mack is decent enough as a wrestler, but he is charismatic enough to make him a very like able baby face. The Nigel and Ivanov was kept to a minimum so overall a enjoyable match.

Tag Team Match
Emil Sitoci & Jurn Simmons vs. Jeff Jarrett & John Klinger

This was all shtick and it was great live. Jarrett basically worked this like an 80s tag match in Memphis and he might be the ultimate carny coming out in full Bullet Club gear. The heels who are both Dutch took a lot of abuse from the crowd based on the fact that the Netherlands failed to qualify for the European Championship and Jarrett encouraged the crowd with every chant. Unusually he was a baby face here and him as a baby face at this stage of his career is much more enjoyable than his heel work. The match itself was fine.

Overall: I definitely recommend this show as no match was bad and two outright great matches with Axel Dieter Jr vs Sasa Keel and Will Ospreay vs Marty Scurll.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Fri May 06, 2016 10:27 pm

I absolutely loved Bobby vs Zack. Thought that trio of matches in the middle of the show was outstanding. All different and all great!

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Thu May 12, 2016 5:20 pm

This weeks Shotgun has the full match of Sasa Keel vs Axel Dieter Jr from the Hamburg show that I really enjoyed.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:47 pm

Just seen this.

Does this make Walter one of the only full time guys on the Euro scene with proper guaranteed money from one promotion? Very interesting development considering he was finally getting over in PROGRESS.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:50 pm

wXwNOW is going to be run via Vimeo for €9.99 a month - marquee events (such as 16 Carat Gold, Shortcut To The Top, Back To The Roots, Fans Appreciation Night, World Tag Team League and the Tour Finale) will be shot with 5 cameras, and will have both German and English commentary. Feature events (the Sumerian Death Squad offer "The End" show was listed as one) will be shot with 3 cameras, with German commentary. Both marquee and feature events will be available within 72 hours of the shows taking place.

There'll also be archive events, and various original programming. "Shotgun Plus" will be a 60 minute version of the YouTube Shotgun show (which will still be produced), which will feature full matches from tour shows. More information is at wxwnow.de

Headlock

Post by Headlock » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:51 pm

Empiresk wrote:Just seen this.

Does this make Walter one of the only full time guys on the Euro scene with proper guaranteed money from one promotion? Very interesting development considering he was finally getting over in PROGRESS.
Walter is the ace of wxw after all, so it's logical that Walter is one of the first guys, probably even the first guy to offer a full time contract to, also just because Walter is on a full time contact doesn't mean you will never see him im Progress again.
Call me leon

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:20 pm

He's also the trainer for their school.

themib

Post by themib » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:35 pm

Karsten Beck was diagnosed with a brain tumour last week, and has already had surgery. It was benign, so the surgeons expect he will make a full recovery, however, he will miss the remainder of 2016, including his scheduled title shot against Jurn Simmons next month.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:49 pm

Tommy End really has been a staple for wXw for most of its existence. He will definitely leave a hole in the roster, but I am confident they will be able to fill it.

The whole Karsten Beck situation really sucks. He had just returned at their last show before their summer break and won the Shortcut to the Top. I was fairly confident that he would beat Simmons and was going to be their top guy going forward. The only good thing is that he will make a full recovery and luckily because he lives in Germany and not the US he won't even need outside funding to afford it.