wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Foresite

Re: wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Post by Foresite » Mon May 21, 2018 5:33 pm

Just a quick one that probably has an obvious answer, but how come wXw can show undubbed entrances on their Youtube channel?

They show the full entrances too, so I know its nothing to do with the length of the clips. Do you not need to pay licensing fees for YouTube content?

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Fri May 25, 2018 10:40 am

It's not an obvious answer but there is one. Music copyrights in Germany are represented by a cooperative of composers (by the letter of the word, de facto its the music companies) called GEMA. GEMA offers standard tariffs for certain forms of usage. So if you play music on your radio station you don't need permission of the music company, you just pay GEMA fees for the number of hours you play their music. Same applies to the music played at the local village festival, in a school musical or in a disco. Schools, churches, boy scouts and other social organizations enjoy special rebates. This also applies to Youtube and this has been a reason of argument between Youtube and Gema for years and lead to certain music not being available on Youtube in Germany but nowadays Youtube pays fees to GEMA. But that's why wXw can have entrances with music on Youtube.

Now, there are usages which you can license from GEMA but you need a separate permission from the rights holder. Because you cannot just produce a horror movie and use the mormon choir singing some tune without the mormon choir approving their music being used in some satanic movie. Or the company that i am working for wanted to use a Coldplay song for clip and guess what, Coldplay did not like my company and did not approve. Streaming services fall into this category and even worse: if your service is available in several countries, you have to identify all rightsholders in all countries and they are not identical. That is practically often difficult, many rightsholders don't want to be associated with wrestling or they want a royalty advance that is too high for a small wrestling streaming service.

And yes, legally the same applies to all streaming services that can be received in Germany and they are all just lucky that GEMA has not yet started sending invoices to these streaming services. I won't tell them though.

Foresite

Post by Foresite » Sat May 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks for the answer buddy!

themib

Post by themib » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:50 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbaxmiLy4jk

Notes from this update video...

*wXw are selling a season ticket for the Cologne Shotgun tapings, and most of the tour will be based around it
*Zack Sabre Jr. is getting the Unified World Wrestling Championship shot at FAN Hamburg - Oberhausen the next day is also a FAN show
*The first four names were confirmed for Femmes Fatales during World Tag Team League weekend - Women's Champion Toni Storm, Killer Kelly, Wesna... and MEIKO SATOMURA!
*PCO will be at Broken Rules in Dresden in November
*Kris Wolf, Coast To Coast and Fred Yehi will make regular appearances during the Shotgun Tour

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:26 am

wXw are back from their summer break and started their autumn tour with the Shortcut to the Top event last Saturday in Oberhausen.

- Marius Al-Ani, the winner of a pretty entertaining No.1 contender tournament, won the Shotgun title from bobby Gunns, ending a very remarkable title run.

- Monster Consulting defeated Rise and the newly heel team of Kaspin/Skillet in a table elimination match. Unfortunately for the effort by the wrestler's, this will be a highlight of the next Botchamania due to three "I AM THE TABLE" spots. You have to give credit that the wrestlers did not even attempt to repeat their spots but actually tried to create new spots to break the table. After the third unsuccessful attempt, the fans chanted Dragunov's UN-BE-SIEG-BAR (INVINCIBLE).

- Tarkan Aslan pulled off a Fake Retirement speech, which worked well, but then the segment got lost in an opaque sequence including an incomprehensible backstage video. I struggled on wXwNow but live it must have been even worse.
This is what I understood:
- Tarkan is angry that he is allowed to wrestle everywhere but not in wXw where he is not medially cleared (referring to his No.1 contender spot at a local Berlin promotion)
- Tarkan has a gift for his protegee Lucky Kid (a backstage video)
- Lucky Kid received a fine for speeding and the letter with the fine was found by Pete Bouncer
- Bouncer claims that the letter contains proof that Tarkan Aslan has faked his injury
- Tarkan Aslan behaves as if he beliveves he is very smart
- Bouncer lies down as if he had been beaten down by Aslan (in which situation he had been found by Ivan Kiev at the end of a shotgun episode)
CMJ will most probably have to spend several askCMJ episodes to explain why Aslan benefitted from faking an injury, why he complained about not being cleared and why Bouncer lied down. This one was a clear example of an highly overthought segment that was displayed very poorly by Aslan and Bouncer.

- AND NEW wXw Champion Absolute Andy: This came as shocker given that ZSJ is the next contender and Dragunov vs ZSJ is kind of a dream match. Also Dragunov is challenging Pete Dunne at Progress' Wembley show. On the other hand, Andy had a stellar heel run with perfect momentum and Dragunov chasing for the title is a well proven formula at this point in time. The match itself was average because Andy either was out of steam or played to be out of steam. Dragunov spent some time in the Gym this summer though.

The Shortcut to the Top match, wXw's version of the Royal Rumble, saved the day. Great match layout, no dull moment in the whole match.
- Jurn Simmons returned from injury
- Kaspin/Skillet renew their beef with Ringkampf
- Alpha Female aka Jazzy Gabert made a surprise appearance accompanied with a huge pop
- Bobby Gunns wins and is well deservedly moved up to the World Title scene.
(the only weak point was another chapter of the incomprehensible Tarkan Aslan masterplan, when he got support from Marius Al-Ani who interfered)

themib

Post by themib » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:48 pm

I took it as though Aslan drugged Bouncer with some type of patch. Although on Shotgun, it looks as though Aslan attacks Lucky Kid in the toilets, but you don't actually see him do it.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:47 am

I spent the weekend in Oberhausen at the World Tag Team League. Like 16 Carat it's just a great overall experience of wXw and its fan community. The Ttag tournament was amazing and is certainly worth a watch on wXwnow. Penta/Fenix, CCK (Brookes/Gresham), Aussie Open, Cobb/Angelico and Okami (Hashimoto/Kamitami) were an exquisit selection of guest teams and guaranteed great matches along with the wXw roster teams. Best tag tournament I ever saw.

The Femmes Fatale women's tournament was pretty good, with Meiko Satomura winning the final against Lufisto, who wrestled an excellent tournament to my surprise.

A crazy indie fans highlight was the title match on Saturday. As wXw Champion Absolute Andy was injured on very short notice, the triple threat became a fight between wXw's two biggest crowd favorites, Ilja Dragunov and Bobby Gunns for the "interim" championship. This unexpected matchup created an epic crowd meltdown. For the first 12 minutes, Turbinenhalle exchanged a passionate GUNNS, BOBBY GUNNS - ILJA! chant duel. Nobody attending had ever experienced anything close to this atmosphere, though it hurt the match big time because the wrestlers had no reaction to work with. To my surprise (but delight), Dragunov won the interim title and will have to face Absolute Andy upon his return.

Fans of wXw hardcore matches may also want to watch the Hair vs Hair match of David Starr vs Jurn Simmons (who is now bald), which was a strong contradiction to the company's statement that they don't do death matches anymore. My wife left when Starr had thumbtacks all over and many (especially younger) fans at ringside felt uncomfortable.

Foresite

Post by Foresite » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:00 pm

So...
Is anyone able to give me bullet points for what exactly is changing moving forward with WxW and why they've cancelled Shotgun?
Also I've heard there will be changes with WxW Now?

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:48 pm

nxt germany.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:21 pm

The card for the 18th Anniversary Show on December 22nd in Oberhausen:

wXw UNIFIED WORLD WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Absolute Andy (c) vs. David Starr
wXw WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Toni Storm (c) vs. Kellyanne
wXw SHOTGUN CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Marius Al-Ani (c) vs. Lucky Kid
wXw WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP GAUNTLET MATCH: Jay-FK (Francis Kaspin & Jay Skillet) (c) vs. The Crown (Alexander James & Jurn Simmons) vs. Avalanche & Emil Sitoci vs. "Good" RISE (Ivan Kiev & Pete Bouncer) vs. "Bad" RISE (Da Mack & Tarkan Aslan)
British Strong Style (Pete Dunne, Trent Seven & Tyler Bate) vs. Ringkampf (Axel Dieter Jr., Timothy Thatcher & WALTER)
Bobby Gunns vs. Shigehiro Irie
THREE WAY DANCE: Alpha Female vs. Killer Kelly vs. Yuu
WARM UP MATCH: Julian Pace vs. Timo Theiss

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:53 am

An awesome card, they expect a crowd around the size of 16 Carat as they expanded the setup because the standard setup sold out a few weeks ago.

@ Foresite:
CMJ is on indefinite leave due to a burnout so they reorganized some of the processes.

Shotgun had less viewers than there "feature events" on wxwnow. At the same time the shotgun tapings which they held in Cologne, did not draw at all, wile feature events regularly sold out. So they cancelled shotgun and introduce more feature events, which they just call "Road to". I was very hesitant towards the change because I was afraid the storylines would suffer but the first "road to" events were very good and advanced stories.

Re wxwnow I am not sure. They moved it into a different company "to allow some of the involved persons to participate in the value they created". With wxw becoming an official WWE partner (or more bluntly selling out to WWE), this can mean two things: either CMJ got an offer and in the light of his burnout he decided to cash in, but they want to keep wxwnow to continue as an indienetwork. Or WWE has secured a Call-Option on wxw AND wxwnow and they just allow to distribute some of the purchase price to the owners of the wxwnow company (maybe to clarify IP issues or to keep motivation of the visual creators up). Under German tax regime the latter is certainly much more tax efficient than redistributing WWE money by a bonus payment.

I personally hope that WxW will still be available on wxwnow and not move to the WWE network, as otherwise I will have to switch to more obscure means of watching one of my favorite promotions.

Foresite

Post by Foresite » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:33 pm

That explains everything perfectly, thanks Kirk D.

One would hope WWE would want their "territory's" to keep their original flavours.

Not had the time to watch any WWE NXT, but from what I've read, this is not the case.

Foresite

Post by Foresite » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:52 pm

@Kirk D I've been watching other promotions pretty much since RISE formed (family/work means I can't watch everything I would like to), and just re-subbed to wxw now.

Love me some Ilja, Ringkampf, Gunns, Avalanche and the former A4.

Anyone new to the roster that is of note?

Any of the RISE guys particularly interesting?

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:26 pm

RISE was highly impacted by the suspension of Bad Bones and the injury of Da Mack. Lucky Kid though has moved on well with great matches against Zack Sabre Jr or Jay Lethal.

Otherwise, Monster Consulting have dominated the tag teams scene before Julian Nero's injury and Jay FK immensely benefitted from their heel turn in May. Still, Andy's promos, Ilja's passion and Bobby's attitude have been the highlight of the promotion.

RIngkampf have stepped more into the back and it's mainy Thatcher carrying the torch now. They tease Veit Mueller, a rookie with an old school gimmick (and the Kevin Owen's ripoff tagline Veit Mueller Veit - Veit in German is pronounced fight) to want to join Ringkampf. He will stand at ringside during the Ringkampf vs British Strong Style 6-man tag at the anniversary show.

Foresite

Post by Foresite » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:09 pm

I've seen some of the Ringkampf promos. Are they teasing Thatcher/Mullet turning on WALTER or am I misreading that?