wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Kirk D

Re: wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Post by Kirk D » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:52 pm

They ran a 3-part home story with Ilja on Shotgun. Ilja was portrayed as an all-or-nothing guy. They indicated that there was a potential conflict between Ilya, the wrestler, and Ilja, the husband and father of a baby. When I watched it, it was to methe perfect build for a championship win, but it turned out that he actually cannot combine both. It was left open whether it is a retirement or some longer time out. The ending of anniversary made me really sad, as Ilja was my favorite wXw wrestler last year. His program for Carat and then with Rise was just an outstanding narrative. I hope he returns some day.

Foresite

Post by Foresite » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:10 pm

Yeah 2017 was a true breakout run, are the mini docs worth watching after-the-fact?

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 pm

If you're interested in the person behind the wrestler: definitely yes.

Foresite

Post by Foresite » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:55 pm

In a way I almost I don't want to break the "mad man" illusion! Is Ilja actually Russian or a German working a soviet gimmick?

Any thoughts on who's next for the world strap? With Ilja off the board, Walter in the tag mix and Jurn seemingly spending some time in the midcard, none of the big guns seem next in line. Time to pull the trigger on David Starr?

BohsJohnny

Post by BohsJohnny » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:22 pm

Foresite wrote:Is Ilja actually Russian or a German working a soviet gimmick?
He's a Russian immigrant who moved to Germany with his mother when he was a young child.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:21 am

And he is most probably the only wrestler in history who is billed from the Soviet Union who is actually born in Russia and who does not portray a cold-war stereotype.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:10 am

wXw is quite on a roll:

"Presale Warning for 16 Carat Gold

Due to the incredibly high demand this year, we talked to Turbinenhalle and could expand the capacity of Turbinenhalle 2 to 1,000 fans with our setup. Nevertheless, we are about to sell off 16 Carat Gold 2018.

We still have 100 3-day passes, 148 single tickets for Friday, 9 single tickets for Saturday and 102 single tickets for Sunday. We will not be able to offer any more contingents. The 3-day passes and Saturday tickets are only available in the wXw Shop, and on Friday and Sunday there is also Eventim.

Their show in Hamburg in December sold-out an extended 700 set-up at Markthalle and their anniversary show before Christmas drew unexpected 700 fans as well. Quite impressive as the roster feels a bit thinner at the moment.

For their Dead End Marchee event they announced Mike Bailey challenging Bad Bones for the wXw world title.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:10 pm

They'll likely add one or two more matches to Back To The Roots this Saturday, but this is what's on right now...

DIE KAFIGSCHLACHT EIGHT MAN TAG TEAM MATCH: Monster Consulting (Avalanche & Julian Nero) & Ringkampf (Timothy Thatcher & WALTER) vs. RISE (Ivan Kiev, John Klinger, Lucky Kid & Tarkan Aslan)
wXw WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Killer Kelly (c) vs. Toni Storm
Dirty Dragan vs. Jurn Simmons
Martina the Session Moth vs. Melanie Gray
Chris Colen vs. Da Mack
LIVE Smoking Break with Bobby Gunns

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:53 am

The tour start was a mixed bag.
Highlights:
- the Kafigschlacht was a 35 minutes true Wargames match with plenty of great stuff
- the promo battle between Absolute Andy and Bobby Gunns was tremendous and the subsequent match were delivering
- your new wXw Womens Champion: Toni Storm
Weak Points:
- Da Mack had already lost his heat, the match with Colen should have followed closer to Broken Rules, at this time it fell completely flat
- Absolute Andy should have Traitor-Heat but already has Cool-Heel-Heat, that was not a problem for his match with Bobby, but it will be a big problem for the program with his former tag team partner Al-Ani (same as with Da Mack: is wXw dragging these conflicts for too long?)
- putting a women's hardcore match with thumbtacks as an opener was a quite curious choice

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:25 pm

Just finished Back to the Roots. IT was a very entertaining on the show. Nothing really bored me or I thought was bad. I really enjoyed the War Games match. The ending made me think that Walter was going to be the one to beat Bones which made me originally think that that could be how David Starr get`s his win over Walter. But I`m probabbly just fantasy booking. Really look forward to where they are going next.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:51 pm

Looking forward to the 16 Carat Weekend. Saturday and Sunday are sold out (1000 tickets).

Unfortunately, the main event for Friday, Jurn Simmons vs David Starr Last Man Standing, is cancelled due to a broken ankle of Jurn Simmons at last Sunday's wXw house show.

These are the 8 1st round matches (traditionally wXw does not publish a tournament bracket)
Matt Sydal vs. Lucky Kid
Jonah Rock vs. Timothy Thatcher
Da Mack vs. Matt Riddle
David Starr vs. winner of the pre-show 4-way
Avalanche vs. Keith Lee
Travis Banks vs. Mark Haskins
Chris Brookes vs. Alexander James
Absolute Andy vs. Marius Al-Ani

For Saturday, they also booked three title defenses:
Women's title: Toni Storm (c) vs Melanie Gray
Shotgun title: Bobby Gunns (wXw) vs Mike Bailey
World title: Bad Bones vs Walter (Walter may choose the stipulation)

I can't wait for Friday to arrive.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:18 am

Just returned from a great weekend in Oberhausen. Saturday was a wXw alltime great show from top to bottom.

It all peaked in the world title match. Bad Bones got the Triple H entrance treatment with a band playing his theme, while the crowd seemed to want want to cheer Walter to the title. Then it was up to Walter to decide about the stipulation:
Q"John Klinger, during the last year, you've always been one step ahead of us. I owe somebody a favor so this match will be a THREE WAY DANCE!"

And then the stomping Russian marching theme lead to the biggest pop in wXw history...

Finally, 12 months after his victory at 16 Carat 2017 against Walter, Ilja Dragunov became wXw Unified World Wrestling Champion by pinning Bad Bones John Klinger.

Kudos to wXw, to executing such a longterm storyline and keeping the kayfabe until the end.
Last edited by Kirk D on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:16 pm

It is that time of year.

Resubbed to wXwNow and hoping the binge watch all the big shows since World Tag Team League.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:48 pm

The N2 main event is absolutely incredible. It plays off multiple stories, has an incredible atmosphere and has a huge payoff at the end. Everything worked brilliantly. It's my current MOTY, 5 stars and all of that. Just perfect.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:38 am

Only professional wrestling can create such moments. You really have to give credit to wXw that they perfectly executed the classic babyface chases heel champion over the course of nearly a year, where the babyface already seemed to have lost it all.

Here the official video of the comback.