wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
dancecab

Re: wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Post by dancecab » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Quentin Moody wrote:
dancecab wrote:So I just started getting into wXw the last couple weeks watching the last three shotguns and FAN. What are the must watch stuff from 2017?

Assuming you haven't seen any of 16 Carat weekend, here's every wXw match I've given 4* or higher to.

Ringkampf vs David Starr and Jurn Simmons: wXw Dead End
WALTER vs Ilja Dragunov: wXw 16 Carat Night 3
WALTER vs David Starr: wXw 16 Carat Night 1
Timothy Thatcher vs Jeff Cobb: wXw AMBITION 8
Timothy Thatcher vs Matt Riddle: AMBITION 8
WALTER vs Ivan Kiev: wXw 6/2
Jurn Simmons vs Emil Sitoci: wXw 6/2
Chris Colen vs WALTER: wXw 8/5
Young Lions vs A4: wXw 8/5
Matt Riddle vs Marius Al-Ani: wXw 7/1
WALTER vs Matt Riddle: wXw 16 Carat Night 3
Ilja Dragunov vs Bad Bones John Klinger: wXw 16 Carat Night
WALTER vs Axel Dieter Jr: wXw Frankfurt 4/29
Jeff Cobb vs WALTER: wXw AMBITION 8

Truthfully you should just watch all of 16 Carat (and AMBITION if you're in to shoot style stuff) if you have the time or interest. Can't recommend the shows enough. The best Carat tournament in almost 10 years in my opinion. There's other lower key stuff that I liked a lot that I could point you to if you get through this stuff.
Ok word. Thanks. I'm def going to start with 16 Carat this weekend. Just finishing my catch up of NOAH (well mainly all the Nakajima and Kenoh matches) and the penultimate show before Ally Palace Progress show the next few days.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:13 am

Yeah, dancecab, wXw is really doing a good job with the presentation of story and characters. I love how relaxed most of the segments feel and it's helped ground some of the more over-the-top characters like Ilja for me. Watching something as simple as Da Mack and Francis Caspin discuss their careers on a sofa, or Ringkampf arguing over something that happened at a show, all of these little things make me want to watch what happens next. This is gonna sound like a diss, but it's not, but watching Shotgun reminds me of the German soaps we used to get on TV in the 90's over here. I used to get so hooked on them and watch them every day after school.

I'm the first person to talk about in-ring storytelling and truth be told I don't always need the big stories or characters, dream matches can be cool, but I just really dig seeing a promotion put effort in and have it also be so accessible with the English subtitles/commentary. Another good thing is that it doesn't feel like WWE lite kinda storytelling - it's very much its own thing and they aren't just trying to ape the big company.

And even if I just buried Bobby Gunns (that gimmick is disgusting, and meant to be disgusting) I just watched a Shotgun ep where he cut a hilarious promo, so I'm starting to see his charisma, too.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:07 am

Amazing weekend at World Tag Team League, not quite as gripping as 16 Carat Gold is, but there were some really good matches and some major moments...
► Show Spoiler
Also met up with a load of great people which always make these weekends better.

The first three names for 16 Carat Gold 2018 are Jeff Cobb, Travis Banks and Penta El Zero M, will be interesting to see if they land any other big names. They also announced a new project, "Wrestling Deutschland" for the Saturday of Carat Weekend which will be a showcase for the other German promotions, although GWF in Berlin haven't accepted their invitation to participate as of yet.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:05 pm

Just finished Night 1 of World Tag Team League and Femme Fatale. I'm sooo into this promotion right now it's not even funny. They have really hooked me in with the story telling and in ring work. Really loved Night 1 of WTTL especially the Ringkampf VS. Briscoes and Massive Product Vs. A4. Both matches were easy ***3/4-****1/4 range for me. Walter is easily getting up there on being one of my favorites to watch. Between this and his Progress run I'm all in on him. And he seemingly seems to make Timothy Thatcher soo much more interesting.

What happened to Alpha Female?

BohsJohnny

Post by BohsJohnny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:06 am

dancecab wrote:Just finished Night 1 of World Tag Team League and Femme Fatale. I'm sooo into this promotion right now it's not even funny. They have really hooked me in with the story telling and in ring work. Really loved Night 1 of WTTL especially the Ringkampf VS. Briscoes and Massive Product Vs. A4. Both matches were easy ***3/4-****1/4 range for me. Walter is easily getting up there on being one of my favorites to watch. Between this and his Progress run I'm all in on him. And he seemingly seems to make Timothy Thatcher soo much more interesting.

What happened to Alpha Female?
Everybody assumes WWE pulled her.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Quentin Moody wrote:
dancecab wrote:So I just started getting into wXw the last couple weeks watching the last three shotguns and FAN. What are the must watch stuff from 2017?

Assuming you haven't seen any of 16 Carat weekend, here's every wXw match I've given 4* or higher to.

Ringkampf vs David Starr and Jurn Simmons: wXw Dead End
WALTER vs Ilja Dragunov: wXw 16 Carat Night 3
WALTER vs David Starr: wXw 16 Carat Night 1
Timothy Thatcher vs Jeff Cobb: wXw AMBITION 8
Timothy Thatcher vs Matt Riddle: AMBITION 8
WALTER vs Ivan Kiev: wXw 6/2
Jurn Simmons vs Emil Sitoci: wXw 6/2
Chris Colen vs WALTER: wXw 8/5
Young Lions vs A4: wXw 8/5
Matt Riddle vs Marius Al-Ani: wXw 7/1
WALTER vs Matt Riddle: wXw 16 Carat Night 3
Ilja Dragunov vs Bad Bones John Klinger: wXw 16 Carat Night
WALTER vs Axel Dieter Jr: wXw Frankfurt 4/29
Jeff Cobb vs WALTER: wXw AMBITION 8

Truthfully you should just watch all of 16 Carat (and AMBITION if you're in to shoot style stuff) if you have the time or interest. Can't recommend the shows enough. The best Carat tournament in almost 10 years in my opinion. There's other lower key stuff that I liked a lot that I could point you to if you get through this stuff.
With my new WXW subscription, this is a very helpful list.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:14 pm

HOLY. Watched Walter Vs. Starr this morning. SOOOOOOO damn good. I still need to watch 16 Carrat Gold but this is one of my favorite matches of the year.

SoZe

Post by SoZe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:39 pm

dancecab wrote:HOLY. Watched Walter Vs. Starr this morning. SOOOOOOO damn good. I still need to watch 16 Carrat Gold but this is one of my favorite matches of the year.

Starr vs WALTER has been an easy highlight of 2017 for me. From the Massive Product vs Ringkampf tag in February, 16K singles, WTTL finals and the singles rematch in London, I’m all in on that being one of the best rivalries in wrestling. Starr shows some of the best fire I’ve seen all year in that London match. Killer match and one of my recent favorites.

themib

Post by themib » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:34 pm

Penta El Zero M and Rey Fenix have had to pull out of 16 Carat because they're filming Lucha Underground that weekend. Here's the revised lineup so far...

Jeff Cobb
Travis Banks
Chris Brookes
Mark Haskins
Avalanche
Jonah Rock
Jurn Simmons
Matt Riddle
Matt Sydal

themib

Post by themib » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:22 pm

wXw have designated venues for Shotgun tapings this year, with Cologne the main venue they're being held in, though there are a few others...

January 21st: Cologne - Club Bahnhof Ehrenfeld
February 24th: Weyhe - Sportcenter Dassbeck
March 11th: Oberhausen - Turbinenhalle (Fan Expo)
April 22nd: Cologne - Club Bahnhof Ehrenfeld
May 19th: Bielefeld - Forum
June 1st: Munster - Sputnikhalle
July 22nd: Cologne - Club Bahnhof Ehrenfeld
August 5th: Cologne - Club Bahnhof Ehrenfeld
September 22nd: Fulda - Kreuz
October 7th: Oberhausen - Turbinenhalle (Fan Expo)
October 27th: Cologne - Club Bahnhof Ehrenfeld
November 24th: Cologne - Club Bahnhof Ehrenfeld
December 16th: Cologne - Club Bahnhof Ehrenfeld

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:29 pm

I was thinking of going to Oberhausen for the 16 Carat this year. Anyone got tips or advice for attending these shows? I've never been to Germany before.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 am

I am going to be there for all three days and attend the 16 Carat main shows plus the Fan Expo on Sunday.

You can reach Oberhausen with a 30 minutes train ride from Duesseldorf airport, Cologne airport should be a bit longer but also easily doable. German trains are safe and pretty reliable (connections can be found at https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml.

When I booked, there were quite some fair value hotels available. The Turbinenhalle is located not too far from the center of Oberhausen. Germany in general is safe, so if you have a hotel nearby, just walk to Turbinenhalle. Oberhausen is a pretty average former industrial city, don't expect anything sexy except that it hosts Germany's biggest shopping centre (Centros), which is not far from Turbinenhalle either.

VonLInus

Post by VonLInus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:38 pm

I bought the 16 Carat 84.99 all access ticket, but as the various parts of that are now no longer all available, the description has been removed. Does anyone know exactly what it allows you to access? I got a ticket to the 3 day event also.

BohsJohnny

Post by BohsJohnny » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:47 pm

VonLInus wrote:I bought the 16 Carat 84.99 all access ticket, but as the various parts of that are now no longer all available, the description has been removed. Does anyone know exactly what it allows you to access? I got a ticket to the 3 day event also.
The afterparty on night 2 and access to the fan expo on Sunday are included I'm pretty sure. The official t shirt and a picture with all the wrestlers involved too.

Foresite

Post by Foresite » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:23 pm

Finally caught up with 17th Anniversary.
The Thank You Ilja message seemed quite ominous, is he on his way out?