wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
steve

Re: wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Post by steve » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Just subscribed to WxWNow to watch the 16 Carat tournament. My first experience of WxW and 2 minutes in my first impression is that the production looks really top quality.

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:23 pm

steve wrote:Just subscribed to WxWNow to watch the 16 Carat tournament. My first experience of WxW and 2 minutes in my first impression is that the production looks really top quality.
It's so fucking good, they really stepped it up this year too. You can tell that it's a company with money and experience behind it with a single glance these days.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:55 pm

so wxw is gonna be wwe next target???

oh man.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:38 pm

monster mafia wrote:so wxw is gonna be wwe next target???

oh man.
Where did you read that?

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:53 pm

From all accounts 16Carat was tremendous, so I'll have to pony up and reactivate my wXwNow subscription.
► Show Spoiler
It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

steve

Post by steve » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:59 am

VilinskiKonjic wrote:
steve wrote:Just subscribed to WxWNow to watch the 16 Carat tournament. My first experience of WxW and 2 minutes in my first impression is that the production looks really top quality.
It's so fucking good, they really stepped it up this year too. You can tell that it's a company with money and experience behind it with a single glance these days.
Trying not to sound too much like JR, I think the lighting could be improved. I keep getting taken out of the matches when they go to the hard camera and everything is just a bit too dark for my liking.

Only just done up with Day 1. I'm enjoying it. It has all been pretty good, well worth the 9.99. But I'm not sure this promotion is giving me enough extra over other promotions that I've invested in to keep me subscribing.

wXwNate

Post by wXwNate » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:48 pm

16 Carat was so amazing. Walter is the best real Heavyweight in the World! Ilja vs Walter was the best match in tournament! Walter had 3 ****+ Matches in 3 Days, him vs Ilja was nearly *****.
Watch it now!

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:26 am

steve wrote:
VilinskiKonjic wrote:
Trying not to sound too much like JR, I think the lighting could be improved. I keep getting taken out of the matches when they go to the hard camera and everything is just a bit too dark for my liking.

Only just done up with Day 1. I'm enjoying it. It has all been pretty good, well worth the 9.99. But I'm not sure this promotion is giving me enough extra over other promotions that I've invested in to keep me subscribing.
Highspots Network has the first two nights up and Floslam has night 1 up. I watched Night one on Highspots and was very impressed. Up and down the card, good to very good matches. The main event was great and I saw lots of great talent I had never seen before.

Blueisthecolour

Post by Blueisthecolour » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:19 am

Just started with day one. This Rico on commentary is really irritating me already.

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:59 am

Since Wednesday night I have been bedridden with the worst man-flu I've had in my adult life, which gave me the perfect opportunity just binge-watch all these shows from start to finish. I took-in every single minute of every single show, and I can safely say that I've never been so glad to be sick.
► Show Spoiler

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:22 am

The 16 Carat tournament was really fantastic. The only WXW I'd previously seen were last year's 16 Carat shows (which I downloaded from Vimeo) and Tag League shows (which I admittedly watched on unofficial free streams). This was my first time using the WXW Now service, and I was really impressed with the quality of both the website and the production values of these particular shows.

I thought that the 2016 16 Carat tournament was good but not great, but this year's tournament was really outstanding. Apart from the two Cody matches (neither of which were terrible) and the ACH/Mike Bailey match (also not terrible, but just too focused on goofy crowd work rather than wrestling) I really liked all of the tournament matches and I thought that a number of them were great, whereas last year the only truly great match for me was Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Walter. This year's finals between Ilja Dragunov and Walter is one of the best and most dramatic matches I've seen anywhere so far in 2017.

Thoughts on this year's tournament participants...

ACH – This guy always frustrates me, because he clearly has the athletic skills to be in the same league as Ricochet and Will Ospreay and the other elite high flyers of the world, but he just seems to be less interested in having great matches than he is getting the easy pop from the live crowd by doing dance contests and stuff like that. I thought he seemed out of place in this tournament.

Marius Al-Ani – Marius was the breakout star of last fall’s WXW Tag League, but I remember not seeing what the big deal about him was at that time. With his big muscle tattoo look I didn’t really see how he was much different than guys like Bad Bones or his tag partner Absolute Andy. But after this year’s 16 Carat I totally get it. Marius has all of the tools to be the next big star of the promotion. His Night One match against JT Dunn really caught me by surprise and was one of my favorites of the tournament. Marius botched a springboard move at one point, but the way that he covered for it (with what was either magnificent leg selling or him legitimately fighting through pain) was really impressive and gave me tons of respect for him as a worker, especially since he was able to do that without ever really slowing the breakneck pace of the match.

Bad Bones – I was not impressed with what little I’d seen of this guy prior to this year’s tournament (as I recall last year he was not in the tournament proper but was in a pretty crappy 4-Way WXW Title match) so I was pleasantly surprised by how strong his performances were this year. I really love the way that he does his Suicide Dive between the bottom two ropes. The Paul London and Ilya Dragunov matches were both really good. I wasn’t so impressed with his Cody match in the quarterfinals, but I don’t blame Bad Bones for that.

Mike Bailey – I usually enjoy watching Speedball despite his indy-riffic look. His opening round match with ACH didn’t do much for me, but his striking exchanges with Matt Riddle in the quarterfinals were a highlight of the tournament.

Donovan Dijak - Although Dijak was working as a face toward the end of his ROH run he was received as a heel by this crowd. He looked like a star despite his first round loss to Matt Riddle in a very competitive neck-and-neck contest. He also had a quality non-tournament athletic hoss battle with Jeff Cobb on Night Two.

Ilja Dragunov – This guy doesn’t look very impressive at first glance, but his intense presence is impossible to deny. He’s got a similar aura of dangerous instability to Pentagon Jr. It always feels like something really crazy is about to happen in his matches, and sometimes it does (like when he suplexed Bad Bones from inside the ring to the floor with such force that he took himself over too). I won’t be able to get the image of his bloody chest from his awe-inspiring finals match with Walter out of my head anytime soon. Absolutely the right choice to win this tournament.

Robert Dreissker – The low-rent indie fat guy of 16 Carat. I was not impressed by Dreissker at all, though his Night One loss to Dragunov basically works as a showcase for the far more talented Russian.

JT Dunn – The few times I’ve seen Dunn in the past I’ve always thought of him as a poor man’s Chris Hero (a comparison that’s especially hard to avoid when he’s standing side by side with Hero in tag matches), but I really enjoyed his match with Marius Al-Ani on Night One. The work was incredibly fast-paced and crisp, and Dunn did a lot to hold that match together by smartly covering up for a noticeable botch by Al-Ani.

Koji Kanemoto – I’m really only familiar with Kanemoto by reputation, but it’s pretty obvious even to me that he’s not exactly in his prime. Still, his Night One match with Timothy Thatcher was pretty solid, and smartly structured in a way that allowed the Japanese legend to shine despite taking the loss. He also had a neat little mini-feud with Bobby Gunns that stretched over the three tournament shows, though unfortunately their match on Night Three was pretty dull.

Paul London – Awkward ring gear aside (his outfit looked like a velvet tracksuit), Paul London was pretty impressive here. His first round match with Bad Bones is very fast paced and fun, with London hitting two rapid-fire back to back Shooting Stars at one point. Really good stuff. He was just in some relatively meaningless multi-mans and tag matches on the other two nights, but looked really good during his short stint in the actual tournament.

Da Mack – I loathe this guy based on his look alone, and unlike Juice Robinson he doesn’t compensate for it with quality in-ring work. His opening round match with Cody benefitted from having a super-hot crowd but was certainly one of the less impressive matches of the tournament.

Cody Rhodes – I’ve seen very little of Cody Rhodes in WWE, but judging by his recent work in New Japan, ROH, and PWG I can safely say that I don’t see what the big deal is with this guy. He isn’t really bad per se, but just very average, and noticeably less skilled than most of the talent in the places that he’s wrestling now. His run in this tournament didn’t do anything to turn my opinion around, although I can’t deny that he is very over with the Oberhausen crowd.

Matt Riddle – Riddle is so much fun to watch. I don’t follow EVOLVE much, but I think I’m going to have to at least start seeking his matches out. All three of his tournament matches (against Donovan Dijak, Mike Bailey, and Walter) were great and very different from one another, which is especially impressive since he also wrestled David Starr at Inner Circle and had three worked shoots in the Ambition tournament all in that same weekend. This guy is a star and one of the most exciting and versatile in-ring performers in the world.

David Starr – His main event on Night One against Walter was absolutely fantastic. He’s so over with the crowd that it feels like WXW is his home promotion (though in reality I guess CZW is his main base of operations). I fast-forwarded through portions of his Shotgun Title defenses on the other nights due to them featuring too much of the non-wrestling crowd work that just isn’t as fun to watch if you aren’t there live, but when Starr was actually wrestling he was very impressive.

Timothy Thatcher – Thatcher’s matches in last year’s 16 Carat felt shapeless and boring to me, but he was really good this year. He did a great job taking a beating from Kanemoto on Night One and his match with Dragunov on Night Two was nice and intense, with some cool sequences where both guys were blocking each other’s strikes.

Walter – The first time I saw this guy was in his awesome Zack Sabre Jr. match that opened last year’s 16 Carat tournament, and I’ve been really impressed by everything I’ve seen since. He’s so great at projecting that menacing, unbeatable big guy aura, while still having athletic, fast-paced matches. His bouts with David Starr, Marius Al-Ani and Matt Riddle were all terrific, but his performance in the finals against Ilja Dragunov was some really elite, next-level stuff. Walter is an amazing talent, and clearly the most versatile and skilled performer on the core WXW roster.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 am

Night One was a really fun show. Enjoyed all the matches except the Da Mack vs Cody. Main event was great.

Just like last years 16 Carat, I love the instrumental music they use during the entrances to cover over the music. Really helps the aesthetic and the constant improvements on the production really are noticeable. I would suggest wXw's way of getting away with using licensed music to other companies that are stating to move away from it, but I feel some companies are too far down the line to change to this way like PROGRESS. I'm going to PROGRESS this afternoon and I am very interested to see how many peoples themes are now gone. Some are irreplaceable.

Really looking forward to watching the Night Two and Three in the coming days.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:14 pm

WALTER IS A BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. One of the best tournament performances I have ever seen. Great matches on all three nights (especially that brutal match with Dragunov).

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:16 am

Empiresk wrote:Night One was a really fun show. Enjoyed all the matches except the Da Mack vs Cody. Main event was great.

Just like last years 16 Carat, I love the instrumental music they use during the entrances to cover over the music. Really helps the aesthetic and the constant improvements on the production really are noticeable. I would suggest wXw's way of getting away with using licensed music to other companies that are stating to move away from it, but I feel some companies are too far down the line to change to this way like PROGRESS. I'm going to PROGRESS this afternoon and I am very interested to see how many peoples themes are now gone. Some are irreplaceable.

Really looking forward to watching the Night Two and Three in the coming days.
The instrumental music is really great for setting the mood and a great way to avoid any rights issues.

Night 2 was a little bit down match quality wise, but still a very good show and the main event was great. Jurn Simmons seems to me like Michael Hayes and Terry Gordy somehow mixed up their respective seeds and had a baby on a European tour. His in ring is great, but some of his prematch stuff was a little whacky.

themib

Post by themib » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:40 am

Here's the bumper music, by the way...