wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
themib

Re: wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Post by themib » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Marty Scurll is off tomorrow's show in Cologne because he's currently applying for a US Visa so he can work for Ring of Honor in the States. It shouldn't affect him being available for other wXw shows he's booked for.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:03 pm

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:53 am

So over the last few days, I watched both the 2016 16 Carat Gold Tournament and the 2016 World Tag Team League. Really enjoyed all six shows!! wXw has a really fun product and I'm excited to look more into them. Two quick questions though (as I just watched the 2016 World Tag Team League Finals today)....

- What does "JML" actually stand for?

- Was it ever revealed why Shane Strickland was basically exiled (if that's the proper term) from wXw shortly after the World Tag Team League?

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:42 am

DXvsNWO wrote:So over the last few days, I watched both the 2016 16 Carat Gold Tournament and the 2016 World Tag Team League. Really enjoyed all six shows!! wXw has a really fun product and I'm excited to look more into them. Two quick questions though (as I just watched the 2016 World Tag Team League Finals today)....

- What does "JML" actually stand for?

- Was it ever revealed why Shane Strickland was basically exiled (if that's the proper term) from wXw shortly after the World Tag Team League?
they joke about nobody knowing what it stands for. I have a theory that it's linked to the hand signal kinda looking like the letters JML squished together.

no idea about why Shane is gone. It was kept very quiet whatever it was.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:04 pm

Alan4L wrote: they joke about nobody knowing what it stands for. I have a theory that it's linked to the hand signal kinda looking like the letters JML squished together.

no idea about why Shane is gone. It was kept very quiet whatever it was.
That's really unfortunate about Shane Strickland. I really enjoyed their work from the World Tag Team League. JML vs. The LDRS in the finals was particularly awesome. Good to see that David Starr is getting a run with the Shotgun Title though.

Also, you did a great job on commentary Alan!

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:51 am

Something that I noticed while watching the World Tag Team League is that Timothy Thatcher is much more tolerable in a tag team setting. He's just so much easier to watch in tag team matches where he's not the center of attention (like he is in Evolve). You're only getting him in spurts instead of long singles matches.

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:15 am

DXvsNWO wrote:Something that I noticed while watching the World Tag Team League is that Timothy Thatcher is much more tolerable in a tag team setting. He's just so much easier to watch in tag team matches where he's not the center of attention (like he is in Evolve). You're only getting him in spurts instead of long singles matches.
I think he's better in Europe in general. In America he's either on an EVOLVE show where he's really struggling to be as interesting as the guys at a similar or higher ability level to him (which is now at least half the roster, or was before signings happened so now it might be a little less, but still enough so Thatcher really struggles to be as big of a name as his booking intends). He doesn't exactly fit so well to the PWG style either unless he's in there with a guy like Hero who he could go in and brawl with. In the European promotions he just seems more natural, and also a little closer to the change of pace that he was when he really started getting hot in EVOLVE, before the rest of the roster began to catch up and in some cases surpass him.

I would expect Thatcher's European tour this year to be very good indeed.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:40 am

VilinskiKonjic wrote:
DXvsNWO wrote:Something that I noticed while watching the World Tag Team League is that Timothy Thatcher is much more tolerable in a tag team setting. He's just so much easier to watch in tag team matches where he's not the center of attention (like he is in Evolve). You're only getting him in spurts instead of long singles matches.
I think he's better in Europe in general. In America he's either on an EVOLVE show where he's really struggling to be as interesting as the guys at a similar or higher ability level to him (which is now at least half the roster, or was before signings happened so now it might be a little less, but still enough so Thatcher really struggles to be as big of a name as his booking intends). He doesn't exactly fit so well to the PWG style either unless he's in there with a guy like Hero who he could go in and brawl with. In the European promotions he just seems more natural, and also a little closer to the change of pace that he was when he really started getting hot in EVOLVE, before the rest of the roster began to catch up and in some cases surpass him.

I would expect Thatcher's European tour this year to be very good indeed.
Those are my thoughts too. I saw him live last year at a show in Hamburg and he just seems to enjoy himself a lot more in wXw than in Evolve.
It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

BohsJohnny

Post by BohsJohnny » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:25 am

Not quite sure how this hasn't been posted yet but I'm very excited that I'll be there to see him

themib

Post by themib » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:55 am

Great show last night in London, they're coming back on October 28th. Jurn Simmons was incredibly over, had a great match with WALTER, and got to close out the show by piledriving Axel Dieter Jr. Really good main event too with ADJ and Marty Scurll.

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:50 am

Super interested in getting into wXw this year. How long does it usually take from their shows to hit VOD?

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:35 pm

themib wrote:Great show last night in London, they're coming back on October 28th. Jurn Simmons was incredibly over, had a great match with WALTER, and got to close out the show by piledriving Axel Dieter Jr. Really good main event too with ADJ and Marty Scurll.
It's one of the best top to bottom shows I've ever been to. Everything delivered and then some.

This weekend is gonna make Jurn Simmons as the next guy as far as European wrestlers go. He's already built up a great following amongst wXw fans but this is gonna cement his crossover to a UK crowd. He was an absolute megastar last night, and debuting against Roy Johnson at Progress today is gonna be perfect.

Progress need to keep building him and have him take the Atlas belt from Riddle. Ideally at the July 1st Oberhausen show but as long as he's the one to take the belt next, anywhere should work.
Murrr wrote:Super interested in getting into wXw this year. How long does it usually take from their shows to hit VOD?
The London show may be fairly quick as its on FloSlam. Usually the big shows are up in decent time but the tour shows take a little longer.

themib

Post by themib » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Last night's show will be on wXw NOW on Tuesday, on FloSlam on Thursday, and on the Highspots Network on Saturday.

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:05 pm

That's tremendous, lads - thanks. Looking forward to getting stuck into some German graps next week then.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:04 pm

The London show was arguably the most enjoyable show I have been to in years. Will definitely make a weekend of it again when they come back in October for another show on a PROGRESS weekend.

Will now defo try and keep up with wXw's bigger shows and not watch 16 Carat/Tag League months after they have happened.