wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
van Fair

wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Post by van Fair » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:48 pm

As the biggest promotion in Germany and one of New Japans partners I think they definitely deserve their own thread. Especially now that their weekly Youtube show Shotgun is available in English. Commentary is done by a guy a lot of you here know quite well and that is none other than Alan.

I really like the that the show is available in English now. Despite me being German the German commentary was always a thing that kept from following them intensely. It just always sounded weird and stilted in German to me.

As for the promotion itself they started out as a hardcore promotion like so many others in the early 2000s. But has mostly moved on from that completely. The roster is mostly made up of German talent mixed with wrestlers from many European countries. wXw has been pretty much Tommy Ends home promotion who has made quite a splash on the American Indie scene recently. Another stand out on the roster is Big Daddy Walter who is arguably one of the best big men in wrestling right now.

Their biggest event of the year is the 16 Carat Gold tournament which is similar to PWGs BOLA. Bringing in guys from around the world that tear the house down over a three day tournament.
It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

BillThompson

Re: wXw - Germany's biggest promotion

Post by BillThompson » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:34 pm

I found this years 16 Carat to be super disappointing. A series of bland and poorly worked matches. It honestly put me off of WXW after having heard many positives about them. I'll probably give them a go again in the future, but the 2015 16 Carat, woof.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:33 pm

I'm going to sound mean here. But the commentary put me off the show. Commentary needs to sound emotionally invested, and this seemed like the guy was just reading off of a script.

STRIGGA

Post by STRIGGA » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:02 pm

I actually liked the english commentary Alan provided for Shotgun. He'll need to get more excitement in his voice, that's right. But generally it wasn't bad.

Also I didn't think 16 Carat was bad this year. There were some great matches like Zack vs. Harada, Tommy vs. Everett, Zack vs. Axeman or Axel Dieter Jrs matches against Tommy and Zack. I've been going to wXw shows since 2004 now and they've made quite the development since then. Chris Hero obiviously set the table for this current generation of wrestlers when he first came over in 2002 I believe. From then on the homegrown talent got a lot better which ultimately led to wXw being able to run shows with the majority of guys coming from their dojo. The dojo has now ben upgraded to a full time wrestling academy so the future should be bright.

I'll probably be in Oberhausen on August 29th for FAN with AJ Styles if I can work it in my work schedule and then in October I'm going to be there for the entire World Tag Team Title Tournament.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:35 pm

The feedback is much appreciated guys.

the energy/excitement thing is something I got in feedback from wXw and even my girlfriend! While I've always been quite comfortable in my minimal commentary experience, I've always either been there live absorbing the atmosphere or I've been doing it with Jeremy in my house and his enthusiasm rubs off. For these matches, it was me on my own in an empty room. So I think I subconciously was trying to be like PROGRESS commentator Jimmy Barnett (Jim Smallman). I love his style of commentary but I know it might be too dry for some.

This week's matches may be somewhat similar to last week as they were taped together, but from here on I'll definitely try to get more fired up (without bothering the neighbours!)

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:37 am

two big shows this weekend. AJ Styles is the marquee name being used on the Saturday show in Oberhausen but they're light on imports aside from that. Seems like a weekend which is very much being used to get over the big in-house storylines for the rest of the year. I'll be there in person doing commentary (so you know it's big!!! haha). I'm really looking forward to seeing Big Damo in action on both shows. Both of his opponents (Ivan Kiev and Marius Al Ani) are talented dudes that will give him a good match.

Looking forward to experiencing the insane Hamburg atmosphere in person on Friday.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:14 pm

I'm on the fence about going to the show on Friday. Hamburg is not that far for me, though I would have to stay the night. Card looks decent, but nothing that blows me away.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Fuck it I've missed too many of their shows because they held it in a town shortly after I moved from that town. Looking forward to an enjoyable evening of wrestling.

STRIGGA

Post by STRIGGA » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:03 pm

Last thing I've heard is that Hamburg is pretty much sold out. I wouldn't make the drive if i didn't have a ticket.

Oberhausen will be sod out too so for the first time ever there will be no tickets left in Oberhausen which is a pretty big deal.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Yeah front row was sold out. Although some front row stuff was still available yesterday. But I bought a ticket for back row, not ideal but it'll do.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Alan described tonight's show in Hamburg as buzzing, passionate, and fucking crazy...
► Show Spoiler

STRIGGA

Post by STRIGGA » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:09 pm

I don't care much for Bones.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:00 pm

Finally got some time to sit down and give my thoughts on Fridays show.

First of all WOW this crowd was amazing. They were red hot pretty much all night long. The Markthalle just provides an amazing atmosphere and I can only recommend it as a place to watch wrestling.

Tag title match Prost: Toby Blunt & Mike Schwarz(c) vs Die Schilds: Bobby Guns & Vincent the Beast
Prost worked the crowd masterfully during their entrance, running through the entire arena clinking glasses with everyone. Match itself was fine. It went a little long, but didn't really overstay its welcome. Both of the Schilds are still green, especially Vincent, but they have potential once they find their voice.

Da Mack vs Jurn Simmons
Simmons does a gimmick where he takes forever to get to the ring to get heat. But he overdid it here, he took around five minutes to get to the ring and everyone was just bored by that time. Da Macks entrance got everyone back again. The Hot & Spicy entrance is chantable anyway but it will always be crazy over in Northern Germany. Simmons took most of the match and the win and yeah it was what it was. This was probably the coldest the crowd was all night. I'm not into Simmons at all, his offence is very boring basic power stuff. Might be best for him to work in a tag team for now.

Shotgun title: Kim Ray(c) vs Michael Schenkenberg
Schenkenberg working the same hometown hero gimmick like Da Mack was a weird decision, since that meant the home town guys lost two matches in a row. He was also the definition of bland white meat babyface, with baby blue tights no less. Kim Ray really impressed me, I had not been a big fan of his previously, but he comes across really well live. His offence was nice and crisp and a well deserved win for him.

Too Cool vs Reich und Schön
If the crowd was hot before it turned into molten lava in this match. I expected Too Cool to get a good nostalgia pop, do a quick match and leave. Well these guys came in determined to be the most over thing that night. They both still look great, which I expected from Scotty because he is a fireman, but not from Brian Christopher. He is clearly juicing though. Was this match mostly shtick? Yes it was. Was it incredibly enjoyable? Oh God yes. It's hard to describe the atmosphere in this match if you weren't there. The wrestling in this match was better than I expected too. All in all thumps up.

Damian O'Connor vs Ivan Kiev
I love watching Damian flattening fools. They essentially worked the match Da Mack and Simmons could have been if Simmons was good enough. Damian has a great throw back look and I hope they will do a hoss fight with him and Walter down the line. Ivan had some nice hope spots but ultimately was put down by Damian. Afterwards Damian made the belt gesture, but I'm not sure which one he would go for since both singles titles are held by heels.

Julian Nero & Robert Dreissker vs Axel Dieter Jr & Big Daddy Walter
One of the main reasons to watch wXw is Big Daddy Walter, the guy is just a tremendous big man worker. Axel Dieter Jr. has a ton of talent and he will probably go heel soon, which should launch his career to the next level. The match was basically an angle to set up a three man tag next night in Oberhausen. They did a stretcher job with Axel Dieter jr problem was they didn't have a stretcher so they carried him to the back. Not a fan of stretcher jobs as it is and this made it look even more fake. Referee wanted to throw the match out afterwards, but valiant babyface Walter did not let that happen. Eventually Axel Dieter Jr returned carrying Dreisskers signature rope and bell weapon that was used to injure him earlier. They heavily teased a heel turn but Dieter stayed face for now. He broke up a Dreissker pin on Walter with the bell causing a disqualification. Afterwards him and Walter argued causing Dieter's tag partner Da Mack to come out leading to some shoving and more arguing.

World Title match: Karsten Beck (c) vs John "Bones" Klinger
They did a nice job building up this match and the crowd was hot for the entire match. Like Strigga I don't care much for Bones, but he was very over here. Match was booked back and forth with some nice counters. Match was heating up very nicely and promised a great finishing stretch and then Bones just won with a roll up out of nowhere. Crowd popped huge, but it was a little anticlimactic for me. Even worse is that he lost the title next night back to Beck in a 3 Way with Aj Styles.

Overall a nice show with an amazing crowd. Nothing here wrestling wise that is going to blow you away, but also nothing horrible.
One thing I really became aware of at this show is just how young the wXw roster is a the moment. Most of the guys on the card are under 30. In the Too Cool vs Reich & Schön match Brian Chrisopher is actually older than both of his opponents combined.
Right now is a perfect jumping on point in wXw since this roster is only going to get better, as the guys get more seasoned.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Great review man - you really nailed alot of things. You make a great point about the youth of the roster. Alot of them will get much better as the years go on (I'm particularly hopeful for The Schilds and Rotation). I think Axel is staying as a face for the forseeable future by the way. Ilya joining Cerberus in Oberhausen pretty much locks that up as a 3 vs 3 feud going forward.

Ilya was AMAZING by the way. I hope the cameras picked up just how great his heel mannerisms were all the way through the match. I was around the whole roster all weekend - driving, sleeping and eating with them. But I make a point of not talking to Ilya. I just love his character so much that I don't want to see too much of the man behind it. He's amazing.

Great news just in! AJ added for the Sunday tag league show! I spent about 3 hours with him on Saturday night and we talked alot and I can tell you him being added to Sunday was because he REEEEEALLY wanted in on that show.

I know a bunch of matches for the October weekend and if things click right it could be off the charts.

STRIGGA

Post by STRIGGA » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:04 pm

AJ Styles is returning on October 4th, just 6 weeks after his match last Saturday which is amazing. The World Tag League weekend from 10/2 - 10/4 has ACH, Tomasso Ciampa, Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows, Jon Gresham, reDRagon, Super Smash Bros and of course Zack Sabre & Tommy End who've been part of the wXw roster for a long time, but have beome more special with their recent exposure. Then there's the core wXw roster of course and two matches were already announced:

Bobby Fish vs. Jonathan Gresham vs. Player Dos vs. Tommaso Ciampa (10/2)

Ilja Dragunov vs. Zack Sabre Jr. (10/3)

Both matches are completely BONKERS. I'm so hyped.

Teams in the World Tag League:

Bracket A:
(1) BULLET CLUB - Karl "Machine Gun" Anderson & Doc Gallows
(2) YOUNG LIONS - Lucky Kid & Tarkan Aslan
(3) HOT AND SPICY - Axel Dieter Jr. & Da Mack
(4) "Der König der Catcher" Karsten Beck & Tyler Bate
(5) REICH UND SCHÖN - Marius van Beethoven & Kevin Roadster
(6) CHAMPIONS OF CHAMPIONS - Absolute Andy & "Bad Bones" John Klinger
(7) WILDCARD TEAM - Big Daddy Walter & Zack Sabre Jr.
(8) FRENCH FLAVOUR - Lucas di Leo & Peter Fischer

Bracket B:
(1) SUMERIAN DEATH SQUAD - Tommy End & Michael Dante
(2) CALAMARI CATCH KINGS - Jonathan Gresham & Chris Brookes
(3) DIE SCHILDS - Bobby Gunns & Vincent the Beast
(4) wXw World Tag Team Champions PROST - Mike Schwarz & Toby Blunt
(5) CERBERUS - "The Avalanche" Robert Dreissker & Julian Nero
(6) SUPER SMASH BROTHERS - Player Uno & Player Dos
(7) WILDCARD TEAM - ACH & Tommaso Ciampa
(8) REDRAGON - Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly