Insane Championship Wrestling

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
themib

Re: Insane Championship Wrestling

Post by themib » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:59 pm

Based on Dublin, he's more concerned right now about getting back at Stevie Boy and Wolfgang. Not sure who Damo's got at BarraMania, but I'm sure the next TV this weekend will set that up.

Also, for only the second time, Zack Sabre Jr. will be on an ICW show - he'll be at the London show on March 25th. His only other appearance was at Fear and Loathing IV in 2011.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Been mulling over Sunday's Dublin show for a few days. Alan sums it up at the end of his latest DKP - "it was a show". And to me, I'm in two minds over the effect of losing End/Scurll. Would they have lost a classic match that would have got major buzz for the show, or would they have toned it down like they toned down Dar/Galloway, and had Coffey/Grado as mostly comedy?

One thing that stuck with me was Davey Boy/Scurll, and how things kind of went downhill from that point because Marty never locked on the Chicken Wing. His charisma completely overwhelmed Davey Boy and I think it honestly threw him. He was giving the bird to fans booing him for winning, as the room was a good 75% Scurll. And then they followed it up with Mark Coffey vs. Luther Valentine - not the first time I've personally seen a Mark Coffey match fall flat, and neither time was his fault.

Shows the different attitudes between ICW and OTT that weekend - OTT were all out to make a name for themselves with new eyes on them, ICW saw their show as just another show, and even prioritised Belfast with the title change. I will be in London, mainly because I don't pass up chances to see Zack Sabre Jr., but I learned that the ICW shows that REALLY matter are the four big shows in Glasgow, the Garage tapings, and if you're lucky, shows like Belfast.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:06 pm

BarraMania II is starting to take shape...

ICW ZERO-G CHAMPIONSHIP SCRAMBLE MATCH: Davey Boy (c) vs. Joe Hendry vs. Kenny Williams vs. Liam Thomson vs. Lionheart vs. Noam Dar
I QUIT TOWEL MATCH FOR THE ICW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - LOSING MANAGER LEAVES ICW: The 55 (Kid Fite & Sha Samuels) (c) (w/James R. Kennedy) vs. Polo Promotions (Jackie Polo & Mark Coffey) (w/Coach Trip)
LOSER LEAVES ICW MATCH: Nikki Storm vs. Sammii Jayne
Grado vs. Red Lightning
New Age Kliq (BT Gunn & Chris Renfrew) vs. Stevie Boy & Wolfgang

Sure there'll also be a World Title match, plus Paul London is on the show. Second straight BarraMania where the women's match is a Loser Leaves ICW Match, and one of the managers are going too.

themib

Post by themib » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:16 am

Fun show in London tonight, with a very good ZSJ/Whiplash match, but the end was ruined by some idiots who thought it was a good idea to throw drink at Drew Galloway. Wolfgang went into the crowd to go after them, and it got pretty nasty. Some people got too drunk and thought the post match beatdown was real, couldn't handle the banter. If it was the 90s, they'd have caught a beating for real.

DrHero

Post by DrHero » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:15 pm

Both Mark Coffey and Jackie Polo have tweeted that regardless of the result, they're done with ICW after Barramania.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:38 pm

DrHero wrote:Both Mark Coffey and Jackie Polo have tweeted that regardless of the result, they're done with ICW after Barramania.
I did tweet about that, but I'm not so sure if this is legit or part of the angle with them and The 55.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:41 pm

DrHero wrote:Both Mark Coffey and Jackie Polo have tweeted that regardless of the result, they're done with ICW after Barramania.
Any news on if it is a straight up retirement or just them moving on?

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:42 pm

The promotion is so overbooked who knows if that's a work or shoot?

themib

Post by themib » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:49 pm

Not sure what's storyline and what isn't, but ICW lost Nikki Storm (for sure), Jackie Polo, Mark Coffey, James R. Kennedy AND referee Thomas Kearins last night. Quite the bloodletting.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:05 pm

As for Barramania II, didn't really feel like a show that advanced all that much, Polo Promotions leaving with the ICW Tag Titles aside. Even though the NAK got the win in their match, they sold it totally like it's not ending the feud, probably because Kay Lee Ray was in there instead of Stevie Boy. The Powerbomb she took out of the ring and through chairs and a table was sickening, but at least it wasn't over fans and against a wall like she's suffered in the past.

Only real thing coming out of this was Joe Coffey's search for a title shot, with him getting a singles match with Red Lightning later this month. Still not clear the main direction for the Hydro, I'd like to think Coffey will be the challenger, but I can't really see him and Damo being the match. Fans liked the Jayne/Storm match at the end, and it was called one of the best women's matches in ICW, but the fans were eerily silent throughout like they didn't care all that much about it. The main event fell into a few usual ICW tropes, but it had a good finish that stamps Damo as a legit champion.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:29 pm

Super fun match from last month's show in London - Mikey Whiplash vs. Zack Sabre Jr.!

themib

Post by themib » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:00 pm

After leaving ICW, Polo Promotions have been stripped of the ICW Tag Team Championship by majority owner Red Lightning. There'll be a several month long tournament starting at Friday Night Fight Club tapings, with the semi finals at the first two nights of Shug's Weekender in Manchester (July 29th) and Birmingham (July 30th), and the final at Shug's Hoose Party 3 on July 31st in Glasgow.

Padje

Post by Padje » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:13 pm

themib wrote:After leaving ICW, Polo Promotions have been stripped of the ICW Tag Team Championship by majority owner Red Lightning. There'll be a several month long tournament starting at Friday Night Fight Club tapings, with the semi finals at the first two nights of Shug's Weekender in Manchester (July 29th) and Birmingham (July 30th), and the final at Shug's Hoose Party 3 on July 31st in Glasgow.

Looks like the SDS will be in the Birmingham semi. Any idea who the mystery team will be?

Padje

Post by Padje » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:41 am

ICW has booked some local flavour for the Birmingham show.

It's Travis Banks, the New Zealander (ha). The promo photo is him in his Comedy Heel guise, which is nowhere near as interesting or popular as his Strong Style persona he uses in Fight Club Pro. The difference is night and day, and I fully expect him to be in his hard hitting mode on this show. If he abandons the string vest dickweasel character, he's going to have a lot of people talking about him within the year. Although, given how fast BritWres moves these days (The Rise And Fall of The GZRS in less than a year) he'll be big by summer.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:06 am

Padje wrote:
It's Travis Banks, the New Zealander (ha). The promo photo is him in his Comedy Heel guise, which is nowhere near as interesting or popular as his Strong Style persona he uses in Fight Club Pro. The difference is night and day, and I fully expect him to be in his hard hitting mode on this show. If he abandons the string vest dickweasel character, he's going to have a lot of people talking about him within the year. Although, given how fast BritWres moves these days (The Rise And Fall of The GZRS in less than a year) he'll be big by summer.

Whatever happened to the Geezers? Did they just burn out the gimmick or did they piss enough people off?