Insane Championship Wrestling

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Padje

Re: Insane Championship Wrestling

Post by Padje » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:07 pm

I went to the Halloween show. Experience of it was ten times that of the one a year ago. They upgraded the venue to the bigger room in the Academy, meaning more space, a ceiling that didn't interfere with highspots, and a higher ring. Great atmosphere with half the crowd in fancy dress - Papa Shangos, Macho Men, and even an Everyman Piper.

It was the most professionally organised and run indy show I have ever been to. The production quality is great, with their cameras being the best on the indy level, complimented well by the high spec sound you get in concert venues. The comedian Billy Kirkwood (here, dressed as and entering to Bayley's music), like Jim Smallman at PROGRESS, warms the crowd well and doesn't outstay his welcome. It's something more promotions should do. How many shows have you been to where the announcer is a failed wrestler and friend of the promoter? It's bad for the image.

In an unadvertised match, The Legion took on Polo Promotions. I could not work out who was face and who was heel until Kid Fite came out and smashed in a Polo with a chair. Fite was a firm heel in his own match, although he was against Wolfgang, a heavy fan favourite, who is himself in the heel stable The NAK. I have no idea. The finish of that match was cool, with Wolfgang, dressed as Bane, giving Fite the big backbreaker out of Batman: Knightfall. All of the NAK were dressed as Batman villains.

Some lads didn't know who Tommy End and Mikey Whiplash were, so kept chanting 'The Ascension' at them'. There was a scary spot, seemingly miscommunication - the Polo lads had Tommy End up for a face plant, but he tried to turn right over his head for a back bump, and ended up landing on his neck and head. He rolled out of the ring for a bit but was fine by the end.

Jack Jester is way more interesting as a heel, being an absolute arsehole on the microphone having made himself the special guest referee for the Galloway/Spud match.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:33 pm

Full card looks to be in place for Fear & Loathing VIII on November 15th...

ICW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Drew Galloway (c) vs. Grado
ICW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Polo Promotions (Jackie Polo & Mark Coffey) (c) vs. The 55 (Kid Fite & Sha Samuels)
ICW ZERO-G CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Stevie Boy (c) vs. Davey Boy
ICW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT FINAL MATCH: Kay Lee Ray vs. Nikki Storm
Big Damo vs. Jack Jester
STEEL CAGE MATCH: Legion (Michael Dante, Mikey Whiplash & Tommy End) vs. New Age Kliq (BT Gunn, Chris Renfrew & Wolfgang)
Joe Coffey vs. Rhyno
Joe Hendry, Kenny Williams & Noam Dar vs. Doug Williams, Liam Thomson & Lionheart

themib

Post by themib » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:06 pm

ICW have announced their initial 2016 dates, with so far only two Scottish dates, both at the Barrowlands...

January 24th: Barrowlands, Glasgow (Square Go!)
February 26th: Liverpool O2 Academy
February 27th: Belfast Mandela Hall
February 28th: Dublin O2 Academy
March 25th: London Brooklyn Bowl at the O2
March 26th: Cardiff Tramshed
March 27th: Bournemouth O2 Academy
April 2nd: Newcastle O2 Academy
April 3rd: Barrowlands, Glasgow (Barramania II)

themib

Post by themib » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:28 pm

Fear & Loathing VIII was a massive success by all accounts, and the VOD should be uploaded on ICW on Demand later tonight. Seen some of the stuff on Twitter via fan's videos, pretty massive, and pretty wild.

Next year's Fear & Loathing IX has already been announced for the SSE Hydro, which can hold up to 13,000 people. Last night's show was held in the smaller Concert Hall within the SECC, and they sold over 4,000 tickets for that (maybe even 5,000). Giving themselves a year to sell over 2 or 3 times that amount is super ambitious once again, especially without TV.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:14 pm

The subscription price for ICW on Demand will be increasing from $5.99 a month to $6.99 a month as of Friday (December 4th), but current subscribers will continue to pay $5.99 a month until May 1st 2016, so to save a dollar a month until May, it's best to subscribe either today or tomorrow.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:41 pm

ICW have announced the Shug's Weekender for late July, including an interesting venue choice...

July 29th 2016 - Manchester, O2 Ritz
July 30th 2016 - Birmingham, O2 Institute
July 31st 2016 - Glasgow, O2 ABC (Shug's Hoose Party 3)

The O2 Ritz in Manchester, as of this Sunday, will be the bi-monthly Manchester home of PROGRESS Wrestling, which will have had four shows there before this ICW show, so I'll be interested to see how ICW draws in comparison.

Padje

Post by Padje » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:05 pm

I was annoyed Birmingham was skipped from the Spring tour, but thrilled we're getting something special a bit later in the year instead.

It's clear the Birmingham show has been named after Trent Seven ("Shug's Weekender: Seven Nation Army"). I guess they'll build him up and give him a title shot.

I saw Lucha Britannia in the Birmingham Institute before, and it's a good place for wrestling. Just a shame they got rid of the church organ that stretched two floors.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:19 pm

Friday Night Fight Club is back on ICW on Demand for its second season, and a pretty good opening lineup...

*Davey Boy & Kenny Williams vs. The New Age Kliq (BT Gunn & Stevie Boy)
*Joe Coffey vs. Lionheart
*ICW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Viper (c) vs. Nikki Storm
*ICW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Polo Promotions (Jackie Polo & Mark Coffey) (c) vs. The GZRS (Sebastian & Tom Irvin)

The Black Label of Drew Galloway, Jack Jester and ICW "Majority Owner" Red Lightning are also on, and Liam Thomson debuts "The LT Degree" with his first guest, his former girlfriend and opponent at Square Go, Carmel Jacob.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:46 pm

This week on Friday Night Fight Club...

*Big Damo vs. Wolfgang
*Mikey Whiplash vs. Lewis Girvan
*IF NOAM DAR LOSES, HE IS FIRED FROM ICW: Noam Dar vs. Drew Galloway

Dar and Galloway have been having a great series of matches in PCW, so hopefully this one's just as great!

themib

Post by themib » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:49 pm

Dar/Galloway was really good, far more storyline than their PCW matches, but some great drama as a result of Galloway kicking Dar off the balcony, and the fans getting fully behind Dar.

ICW also launched their new original reality series, "Total Davey", following the adventures of Davey Boy. The series will be on ICW on Demand, but the first ep got put on YouTube, as Davey Boy plans to make his Fear & Loathing VIII entrance on a horse.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:29 am

I thought Total Davey was genuinely funny.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:51 am

If you've somehow got a spare 90 minutes or so during your Christmas weekend, and you're subscribed to ICW on Demand...

NOTE: It isn't just Mastiff that Grado defends his title against... one of Mastiff's pals from The Origin in PROGRESS is involved too!

themib

Post by themib » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:07 pm

Excellent hype generated for the Square Go title match between Grado and Chris Renfrew on January 24th...

Chris Renfrew criticised Fighting Spirit Magazine's coverage of ICW, which referred to Grado as a "TNA star" (though as a writer on the FSM staff, I can defend the thinking as readers are generally more familiar with TNA than ICW, although it was somewhat tone-deaf to the ICW fanbase). Renfrew says that it's TNA's stars that are dependent on ICW, not the other way round. He also took a shot at Grado for betraying ICW and its fans by going to America instead of defending the title at ICW shows.

Grado responded, defending his decision to branch out internationally, promoting ICW wherever he goes, and even one time heading to the airport in his gear after a PROGRESS show so he could make ICW later in the day. He's even cancelled other bookings so he could make ICW, and when he got a concussion during a TNA taping block, he defied doctors' orders in order to fly back so he could appear on a big ICW show. He claims Renfrew's criticism is because Renfrew only wrestles within a short radius, and if it's anywhere outside that, it's for ICW. And the tipping point that I feel won Grado the argument is that who else is supposedly "betraying ICW" by wrestling internationally and missing ICW shows? Renfrew's own partner in the NAK, Kay Lee Ray, who's in Japan for three months.

The fans in attendance at Renfrew's speech may have turned against Grado there (though there is a lot of NAK fans at ICW shows), so it'll be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like for the Square Go match, should be molten hot.

DrHero

Post by DrHero » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:44 am

Out of the two promos, I feel like the one that doesn't hit you over the head with "THIS IS A SHOOT" is the more genuine of the two. Renfrew's promo just seemed to want to try and tear Grado down without doing anything to build him up whilst Grado was atleast saying Renfrew is the same as Grado but it's Renfrew's bitterness that is the difference.

What I didn't like in all of this was Renfrew and the band of ICW diehards taking shots at anyone who dared say Renfrew's promo wasn't the second coming of Jesus - an actual line someone put on Twitter was "have ur own opinion but why post it openly where everyone that agreed with his words can read it?!" which is just the height of stupidity. It's a problem I've had with ICW for a while now, some of the talent seem very thin skinned and the ICW militia on Twitter/Facebook don't help.

I also don't understand ICW's relentless campaign for taking shots at TNA. They are barely rivals. Just seems petty from ICW.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:57 pm

The ICW fans and community seems to need to follow the advice of progress.
Don't be a dick