Canis Lupus vs Trauma I MOTY contender

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Canis Lupus vs Trauma I MOTY contender

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:55 pm

Finally getting around to watching the hyped 2016 lucha. I started with this, which I've seen touted as a MOTY (and even MATCH OF THE DECADE) contender.

First two falls were completely forgettable, but I always struggle with the first two falls in lucha. There's never any drama, because 99% of the time we're getting a split. So what you end up doing is waiting around for the guy who lost the first fall to win the second, while resisting temptation to fuck around on your phone or switch windows to check out Twitter or whatever. I try to at least pay attention enough to see if they work any of the early fall psychology into the third fall, but unless it went over my head, that wasn't the case here.

Third fall had nice escalation, and three very good moments of genuine drama before the finish. Each man nearly won the match with a submission, and both times the work was good enough to where the false finishes were believable, so that's a huge plus. The best spot was the ref bump followed by the piledriver by Lupus. The ref bump didn't feel contrived, and the piledriver made me want Lupus to lose because to that point the match was pretty much fought clean. This was a great example of well placed, well worked heel spot that made the heel come off like a cheating coward without hitting you over the head with it.

There was a really corny spot late in the match where Lupus caught the referee's hand as it was coming down on a three count. It felt totally out of place in an intense match like this. This was meant to be desperation, but came off like a badly placed comedy spot.

The finish was well executed and decisive, while still managing to be dramatic. The excessive blood was kind of gross, but I'm not a blood guy. The slow counting ref is lucha being lucha. I try not to let it bother me, but it's hard. The work was good, but very slow and deliberate. I like more "snap" in my action. This was like watching two guys who are slightly more nimble than 2016 Manabu Nakanishi. Everything was clean though, sort of like Nakanishi last week against Nagata, so it was fine for what they were physically capable of. Don't expect Volador Jr level athleticism here if you aren't familiar with these guys. These men are grapplers/brawlers, not "dive" guys.

Match of the Decade is absurd. I could easily rattle off 1,000 matches since 2010 that I think are better than this. I could see this being a MOTY contender if you really dig this style, because I don't like luchagrapple very much and I'm not big on brawls, but I'm still going ****.

Tim Cooke

Re: Canis Lupus vs Trauma I MOTY contender

Post by Tim Cooke » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:13 pm

"There was a really corny spot late in the match where Lupus caught the referee's hand as it was coming down on a three count. It felt totally out of place in an intense match like this. This was meant to be desperation, but came off like a badly placed comedy spot."

I'm guessing what you are talking about is the spot that takes place after the martinete. Trauma is barely able to grab the rope to save himself so Lupis covers again and Trauma, still hurting the damage that the tombstone does, decides it is easier to grab the ref''s hand since he isn't sure he has enough to get his shoulders up. This buys him a few more seconds and when Lupis covers for a third time, he is able to kick out but is still in deep trouble.

Whether you like the match or not, I'm not sure how that comes off as a comedy spot. That's some Scott Keith level analysis.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:41 pm

Tim Cooke wrote:"There was a really corny spot late in the match where Lupus caught the referee's hand as it was coming down on a three count. It felt totally out of place in an intense match like this. This was meant to be desperation, but came off like a badly placed comedy spot."

I'm guessing what you are talking about is the spot that takes place after the martinete. Trauma is barely able to grab the rope to save himself so Lupis covers again and Trauma, still hurting the damage that the tombstone does, decides it is easier to grab the ref''s hand since he isn't sure he has enough to get his shoulders up. This buys him a few more seconds and when Lupis covers for a third time, he is able to kick out but is still in deep trouble.

Whether you like the match or not, I'm not sure how that comes off as a comedy spot. That's some Scott Keith level analysis.
JR Goldberg, in addition to a few other people on Twitter explained the spot to me, and it makes sense.

In the snippet you quoted you can see that I understood what he was going for, but I've seen that spot before in comedy matches so that's what it reminded me of so I wasn't entirely sure.

But hey, thanks for the explanation. And the bonus snark.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:41 pm

I love this thread.

Which gives me an idea-what about a MOTY subforum, where threads for different matches can be made for specific discussion?