Mexico indies

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
TKD

Re: Mexico indies

Post by TKD » Thu May 12, 2016 5:00 pm

JML wrote:Do you think more fans will come to his Indy matches now since he's been on TV and in the middle of this controversy?
His runs in Japan and his May/June Mexico indie sprint last year had already established him as a big indie name, and AAA really didn't do much for him. They gave lip service to the Octagón Jr. name but, outside of his Rey de Reyes qualifier debut match, he was not really treated as a guy to pay attention to. So at least in Mexico, I don't think his AAA run changed anything.

The one lasting thing that his AAA run did for him is help him to get his US visa situation sorted out. He'll probably draw a fair amount of interest for the promotions that bring him in.

TCMitchell
VOW Staff Member

Post by TCMitchell » Thu May 12, 2016 5:25 pm

What is this "Promociones Reza" (name according to Cagematch) promotion that the Casas/Hechicero match took place for? Cagematch only has this listed as their second event ever with their first being in 2015. Is it a new indie? or just a group that has one off's?

TKD

Post by TKD » Thu May 12, 2016 8:21 pm

TCMitchell wrote:What is this "Promociones Reza" (name according to Cagematch) promotion that the Casas/Hechicero match took place for? Cagematch only has this listed as their second event ever with their first being in 2015. Is it a new indie? or just a group that has one off's?
"NICE" is the more common name of the promotion, and they've been around for a while; Cagematch is missing most of their cards. They promoted the Héctor Garza vs. Rey Hechicero title match in Monterrey back in 2011:

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Fri May 13, 2016 5:20 am

definitely has come off as the babyface in this whole fiasco ala Alberto El Patron.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

TCMitchell
VOW Staff Member

Post by TCMitchell » Tue May 17, 2016 12:31 am

TKD wrote:
TCMitchell wrote:What is this "Promociones Reza" (name according to Cagematch) promotion that the Casas/Hechicero match took place for? Cagematch only has this listed as their second event ever with their first being in 2015. Is it a new indie? or just a group that has one off's?
"NICE" is the more common name of the promotion, and they've been around for a while; Cagematch is missing most of their cards. They promoted the Héctor Garza vs. Rey Hechicero title match in Monterrey back in 2011:

NICE? What does that stand for?

TKD

Post by TKD » Tue May 17, 2016 1:35 am

TCMitchell wrote:NICE? What does that stand for?
As far as I know, nothing; just more commonly written that way.

Rah

Post by Rah » Thu May 19, 2016 4:53 pm

Not a co-promoted event, and Reza is just a new entity? Fighters NICE did a helluva lot of joint promotions with FILL years back and are pretty much a Monterrey staple. Lots of shows would be marked as "FILL/Fighters NICE: [show name]".

That or I'm seriously confused.

So, Sergio Reza used to run Fighters NICE. Cagematch/Wrestling Data has NICE as a separate entity (that mostly co-promoted shows). Rebranding? Same venture? Whatever.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:27 pm

I asked Alfredo on twitter, he's the RIOT promoter in Monterrey - "Martes Nice was a concept dedicated for "fancy people" .. Some people use the nice to refer to them."

Monterrey, like most lucha groups who run regularly, refer to the Sunday shows as "domingo familiar" and upper class Mexicans won't attend those shows because they are usually full of families/low income folks getting in for cheap prices.

Anyways...

The much hyped Flamita/Mascara Dorada match was this weekend at CaraLucha. I can't say it lived to my own hype at all. It was really shorter than I imagined it'd be & the crowd wasn't as hot as you'd figure compared to last year's Flamita/Rey Horus match & this year's Dragon Lee/Dorada match both for Chilanga Mask/Lucha Memes. Some of the crowd even boo'ed Flamita which is surprising as they tend to go hard against the CMLL guys by chanting "putos a Consejo" (basically "fuck CMLL"). There was nothing technically wrong with the match, it was two professionals having a solid but not overly spectacular match. Though it was the type of match I'd expect to see if they had 3 bookings in one day and this match was the first one so they had to conserve energy for later. I'm sure it was a better experience live as most things are but just watching the video I can't say it'll end up anywhere near my top tier matches. I don't think it'll even end up as my 2nd or 3rd favorite matches on the show at the end of the day.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

JML

Mexico indies

Post by JML » Mon May 23, 2016 8:50 pm

RobViper13 wrote:I asked Alfredo on twitter, he's the RIOT promoter in Monterrey - "Martes Nice was a concept dedicated for "fancy people" .. Some people use the nice to refer to them."

Monterrey, like most lucha groups who run regularly, refer to the Sunday shows as "domingo familiar" and upper class Mexicans won't attend those shows because they are usually full of families/low income folks getting in for cheap prices.

Anyways...

The much hyped Flamita/Mascara Dorada match was this weekend at CaraLucha. I can't say it lived to my own hype at all. It was really shorter than I imagined it'd be & the crowd wasn't as hot as you'd figure compared to last year's Flamita/Rey Horus match & this year's Dragon Lee/Dorada match both for Chilanga Mask/Lucha Memes. Some of the crowd even boo'ed Flamita which is surprising as they tend to go hard against the CMLL guys by chanting "putos a Consejo" (basically "fuck CMLL"). There was nothing technically wrong with the match, it was two professionals having a solid but not overly spectacular match. Though it was the type of match I'd expect to see if they had 3 bookings in one day and this match was the first one so they had to conserve energy for later. I'm sure it was a better experience live as most things are but just watching the video I can't say it'll end up anywhere near my top tier matches. I don't think it'll even end up as my 2nd or 3rd favorite matches on the show at the end of the day.
It's interesting what you said about them looking like they were conserving their energy cause Flamita did work the Humo show earlier in the day so maybe he was gassed. Don't know how far about the matches were. TKD would probably know that. I still need to watch the match though. I've only seen highlights.

TKD

Post by TKD » Tue May 24, 2016 2:04 am

JML wrote:
RobViper13 wrote:The much hyped Flamita/Mascara Dorada match was this weekend at CaraLucha. I can't say it lived to my own hype at all. It was really shorter than I imagined it'd be & the crowd wasn't as hot as you'd figure compared to last year's Flamita/Rey Horus match & this year's Dragon Lee/Dorada match both for Chilanga Mask/Lucha Memes. Some of the crowd even boo'ed Flamita which is surprising as they tend to go hard against the CMLL guys by chanting "putos a Consejo" (basically "fuck CMLL"). There was nothing technically wrong with the match, it was two professionals having a solid but not overly spectacular match. Though it was the type of match I'd expect to see if they had 3 bookings in one day and this match was the first one so they had to conserve energy for later. I'm sure it was a better experience live as most things are but just watching the video I can't say it'll end up anywhere near my top tier matches. I don't think it'll even end up as my 2nd or 3rd favorite matches on the show at the end of the day.
It's interesting what you said about them looking like they were conserving their energy cause Flamita did work the Humo show earlier in the day so maybe he was gassed. Don't know how far about the matches were. TKD would probably know that. I still need to watch the match though. I've only seen highlights.
Flamita was at the pre-show convivencia (basically, a meet-and-greet) for CaraLucha, went to work HUMO, and then came back to work CaraLucha. The matches were not far apart timewise. I don't think that was a primary factor though.

Time management for this show wasn't so hot because both this match and the main were short. Some matches in the undercard probably shouldn't have been 3 falls. Though also if they have a rematch planned they didn't need this one to be as long.

Flamita being boo'ed may have to do with some combo of (a) the family relation to Toro Negro Jr. (the crowd was divided for the upcoming mask match and rioted during it); (b) a certain faction of fans thinking Octagón Sr. is worth anything; (c) certain fans being drunk.

I think the big spot that elevated the match for me watching live -- and do keep in mind that I'm the crazy gringo wearing a silver/yellow/red Flamita mask generally to the left in BTJr.'s video -- is the Dorada Driver counter. Totally did not see that coming.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Tue May 24, 2016 7:54 am

Oh Jesus...

Blasts will be thrown around.

JML

Post by JML » Tue May 24, 2016 2:28 pm

According to Morten VH's schedule, Dragonmania XI is going to air on Samurai TV on June 11th at 9AM EST.

JML

Post by JML » Sat May 28, 2016 9:24 am

Here is the match that Flamita worked before the Caralucha match with Dorada.

It got changed to Flamita and Freelance vs Suicida and Rey Gato.

Check out the dives at 2:58

This is a lesson for people to move out the way when everyone else is getting out of dodge because they see dives coming.

JML

Post by JML » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:38 pm

I'm catching up on Elite and why doesn't CMLL sign Magno for their Heavyweight division. He's way ... way better than Thunder and can he can work in trios with the smaller guys.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:47 am

How great was Volador Jr. in the ELITE Rumble this past week? Seriously, how great was he? One man show. That crowd dive was batshit nuts.

Caristico not being able to base for his own finisher was pretty funny. They got it on the second try though.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer