Mexico indies

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
TKD

Mexico indies

Post by TKD » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:39 am

Someone mentioned in the CMLL thread that there wasn't a place for indie lucha, so let's rectify that. :)

CaraLucha and Chilanga Mask have been really strong lately, and I have no problems with those two constantly trying to outbook each other [... well, except for booking Pagano all the time], and are running pretty much every 2-3 weeks now. Beyond that, there's also IWRG, XMW, Lucha Libre Boom, and any number of smaller promotions running every few weeks. It's pretty hard to be in the Mexico City metro area and not find some interesting show to occupy every Saturday and Sunday. We're fortunate that Black Terry Jr. tapes most of the indie stuff he gets to see live.

JML

Re: Mexico indies

Post by JML » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:19 am

Thanks for replying about the Rowe/Cavernairo match and making this thread.

It's interesting cause I've paying more attention to lucha cause of the unique matchups on the indie lucha scene like Flamita/Volador Jr that's like the American indie scene.

Is this a recent thing in indie lucha or has that been like that for years?

DylanZero

Post by DylanZero » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:59 am

CaraLucha literally might be one of my favorite companies in the world. Between the awesomeness that is Tortugas Ninja to matches like Satanico vs Blue Panther, Every time I see one of their shows I'm impressed whether it's by the guests or the local talent. It's a great company.

Speaking of Blue Panther, who else is hyped for BP vs. Trauma II for Chilanga Mask? That sounds swanky to me.

Welcome to the forum btw TKD!
Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

http://www.mlwradio.com/eastern-lariat.html - Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling Podcast (w/cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

TKD

Post by TKD » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:12 am

JML wrote:It's interesting cause I've paying more attention to lucha cause of the unique matchups on the indie lucha scene like Flamita/Volador Jr that's like the American indie scene.

Is this a recent thing in indie lucha or has that been like that for years?
Feels recent because of the surge in DF-area indies willing to book CMLL guys: CaraLucha, Chilanga Mask, AULL, XMW, Lucha Libre Boom, Promociones Sánchez, Lucharama / Lucha Mutante, Guerrero Indy Wrestling, and All Elite immediately come to mind, and there are probably others. Except for AULL and XMW, many of these didn't exist 2-3 years ago (Chilanga Mask celebrated its 2nd anniversary in March, and CaraLucha its 1st at the end of May, for example).

I've heard that CMLL is significantly more flexible than AAA is in terms of allowing their roster to be booked independently. [If Flamita ends up going to AAA as Fireball long-term, I'm going to miss this aspect of his work. Somewhat selfishly, I hope Flamita gets at least one more Mexico indie run -- with a Titán/Flamita singles match -- before that happens, if it is happening.] Say what you will about CMLL (and there are a lot of not-so-great things to be said), but a significant subset of their talent gets a lot of independent work; as an anecdote, when I was last in Mexico a couple weeks ago, I heard that a certain CMLL luchador was booked for four shows in two days, and Luchablog's database knew about only one of those shows (the CMLL one).

The CaraLucha anniversary show is as of right now my favorite show of the year. I made a bit of a gamble and flew down to Mexico City solely for that show -- ended up being completely worth it. Loved the main (Volador/Titán vs. Flamita/Bestia) of course, but the Guerra de Facciones cibernético was a wild divefest, and it was fun watching Hechicero work mostly técnico.

The Chilanga August 16 card looks like lots of fun too. Especially looking forward to Guerrero Maya Sr. vs. Guerrero Maya Jr.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:42 pm

Maya/Maya should be a fun father vs. son violence.

Ludark's YT channel is awesome: https://www.youtube.com/user/LuDarKShAiTAN/videos

JML

Post by JML » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:35 pm

Saw the Rush vs Pagano match from that channel last night and I thought it was a fun match. I definitely know now why people online rave about Rush so much and if he jumps to AAA, he would definitely make some serious money for them with all of the tecnicos they have there.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:37 pm

Check all the Pagano/Nicho matches, they're insanely fun trainwrecks. So bad they're actually totally fun.

pol

Post by pol » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:42 pm

That Rush/Pagano match is quite good. As I said over on PWO, Pagano is kind of terrible but there's something so deliciously nostalgic about the whole Juggalo sloppy indie garbage brawler/spot monkey shtick. You just don't see stuff like that outside of Mexico any more, at least not in the promotions I pay any attention to. Probably you do in JCW.

TKD

Post by TKD » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:09 am

In case you don't follow +Lucha, they uploaded a complete recording of Black Terry vs. Último Guerero from July 18 Lucha Mutante. Very good maestros match:

JML

Post by JML » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:35 am

I've checked out that channel and BTJr's channel for highlights but I didn't know they did post recent stuff in full until I saw the Blue Panther vs Satanico match on their channel. I'm gonna watch UG vs Black Terry and the Flamita vs Xtreme Tiger match tonight.

TKD

Post by TKD » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:49 am

JML wrote:I've checked out that channel and BTJr's channel for highlights but I didn't know they did post recent stuff in full until I saw the Blue Panther vs Satanico match on their channel. I'm gonna watch UG vs Black Terry and the Flamita vs Xtreme Tiger match tonight.
+Lucha uploads full matches occasionally. BTJr. used to a long time ago but but now keeps the video files available for sale.

CheezeWhiz

Post by CheezeWhiz » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:56 am

Looking at an upcoming Chilanga Mask card and it has Trauma II vs. Blue Panther and Trauma I vs. Pagano. Trauma I must've lost a bet or something.

There's so much good/great Mexican indy stuff, but there's also Pagano haunting us.

stomperspc

Post by stomperspc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:42 pm

A lot of stuff from July that I really enjoyed. Ultimo Guerrero vs. Black Terry, Blue Panther vs. Satanico, Leo vs. Hombre Bala Jr., Titan/Triton vs. Aeroboy/Violento Jack, and Traumas vs. Caifan/Dr. Cerebro were all good. Panther/Satanico might be my favorite maestros match of the year and the Traumas match was as good as any tag I've seen from this year.

Really looking forward to the next Chilanga Mask card. The top four matches on that card rival rival the top four matches on any card in any promotion this year in terms of potential.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Guerrero Mixtico Jr. vs. Felino which was the best Felino performance in ages.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:29 pm

So I stumbled across this video and was surprised to find a young looking Dario Cueto in it. I assume that this isn't an actual wrestling promotion, since it seems way to amateur and over the top even for low level indie stuff. But on the off chance that this is a real thing I guess this is the only place where anyone would know where this is from.

It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

TKD

Post by TKD » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:29 am

van Fair wrote:So I stumbled across this video and was surprised to find a young looking Dario Cueto in it. I assume that this isn't an actual wrestling promotion, since it seems way to amateur and over the top even for low level indie stuff. But on the off chance that this is a real thing I guess this is the only place where anyone would know where this is from.

Likely satire. "Federación de Lucha Internacional" gets three Google hits, and the station KPWN is likely named for the "PWN" lulz. (A station with those call letters does exist but is in Washington state.)

[By the way, I've watched the vast majority of Lucha Underground through the UniMás Spanish version, and Dario Cueto has a distinct peninsular (Spain) Spanish accent, and this isn't it, either.]