Breaking News: NOAH acquired by Japanese IT Firm

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
PKThree

Re: Breaking News: NOAH acquired by Japanese IT Firm

Post by PKThree » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:43 pm

So I just listened to the special Eastern Lariat episode. And apparently Uchida is the guy who tried to get a All Japan vs WWE feud going when he was president.

Fucking hyped for Fandango vs Kitamiya at Korakuen!

pol

Post by pol » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:48 pm

Setting aside that you'd have to be insane to put your talent on WWE's radar with their hiring practices as of late, I bet Paul would love to have an NXT/NOAH relationship.

powerfulmgp

Post by powerfulmgp » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:59 pm

If Bushiroad was actually financing a number of contracts and sold their stake, this situation gets even more interesting. Oh man.

pol

Post by pol » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:02 pm

Even if that's the case it's possible that the contracts were also sold.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:11 pm

I still contend NOAH was/is likely profitable and that the downsizing was proactive, not reactive. A slow, systematic removal of all high priced gaijin (ZSJ, Hero, Cabana), they stopped using outsiders (Tanaka, Strong BJ, etc) Morishima retired, half of the roster are SZG, and supposedly several of the newer natives have Bushiroad deals. The payroll is likely minuscule.

It is entirely possible they are more profitable post cost cutting with the lower attendance than they were previously. There is a reason they brought Bushiroad into the fold to begin with, and it wasn't because they were stable. It was because they were dying. I think there is a decent chance the downsizing was part of a longer term strategy to stop bleeding red. Get working capitol from a third party minority investor in exchange for handing over creative (Bushiroad), cut costs, keep head above water. From NJPW's perspective, it was a worthy investment as it was a place to dump excess talent (and NOAH would need it with the cuts) and a place to farm talent from to spice up their own booking on occasion.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:22 pm

As far as the contracts being sold as part of the deal, which would seem to be a given as without them there is no promotion, if people like Shiozaki & Kanemaru are really under Bushiroad deals, then I can easily see those contracts not being part of the deal.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:41 pm

Uchida is very smart. All titles, contracts, staff, Noah's name are bought. Whatever this means for Go, Kanemaru, Suzuki Gun members remains to be seen. Uchida vows to reconstruct Noah into a profitable company again. Hinting at return to origin with Misawa's pic in the back.

Now if there's wrestlers jumping ship, now is the time to do so, considering they have money now and a backer now. Man was also close to Mutoh and has ties to Nagata.

Booking might also change certainly.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:06 am

Dragonzombie wrote:Uchida is very smart. All titles, contracts, staff, Noah's name are bought. Whatever this means for Go, Kanemaru, Suzuki Gun members remains to be seen. Uchida vows to reconstruct Noah into a profitable company again. Hinting at return to origin with Misawa's pic in the back.

Now if there's wrestlers jumping ship, now is the time to do so, considering they have money now and a backer now. Man was also close to Mutoh and has ties to Nagata.

Booking might also change certainly.
Was he really close to Mutoh tho? As Strigga and Dylan pointed out on the Eastern Lariat. Mutoh did not exactly rush to bring him into the fold in Wrestle-1.

And Uchida was the guy who tried to get a crosspromotional angle with the WWE going along with some other things, which was why Shiraishi fired him.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:32 am

PKThree wrote:Was he really close to Mutoh tho? As Strigga and Dylan pointed out on the Eastern Lariat. Mutoh did not exactly rush to bring him into the fold in Wrestle-1.
Mutoh's also a business moron at the best of times though. The dude's flighty as fuck.
And Uchida was the guy who tried to get a crosspromotional angle with the WWE going along with some other things, which was why Shiraishi fired him.
The guy who wanted to be Japanese Vince McMahon fired Uchida because he wanted to work with Vince McMahon?

I think it's more likely he fired Uchida because he was a Mutoh appointment.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:35 am

Danwaka wrote:Mutoh's also a business moron at the best of times though. The dude's flighty as fuck.

The guy who wanted to be Japanese Vince McMahon fired Uchida because he wanted to work with Vince McMahon?

Uchida was fired because of questionable business decisions related to All Japan. If shiraishi felt that Uchida made some bad calls that is saying something

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:38 am

PKThree wrote:
Danwaka wrote:Mutoh's also a business moron at the best of times though. The dude's flighty as fuck.

Uchida was fired because of questionable business decisions related to All Japan. If shiraishi felt that Uchida made some bad calls that is saying something
Do we actually know what those decisions are? Because Shiraishi doesn't strike me as a guy who shared power easily in that company.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:47 am

Danwaka wrote:
PKThree wrote:
Do we actually know what those decisions are? Because Shiraishi doesn't strike me as a guy who shared power easily in that company.
Trying to start a cross promotional feud with WWE and booking the Rock among others is what I have heard. Shiraishi wanted to be McMahon, not work with him

jesse

Post by jesse » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:29 am

Uchida reportedly tried to get Kidani to buy All Japan at one point so don't be so naive to think that Kidani had no idea or didn't help facilitate a deal even. Marufuji not being on the board anymore is not a shocking thing to me. There's been whispers for quite a while now all he wanted to do was concentrate on wrestling again.

NOAH isn't profitable at all and they haven't been for a long time. They were losing money hand over fist even when KENTA was still there.

When they started working with New Japan that's when NOAH stopped working with the smaller companies. If that relationship doesn't continue NOAH is in a very rough spot because DDT, Big Japan, All Japan and W-1 have their own little collation and there's only so many dates these people can work. Not to mention they were already burned by NOAH once. NOAH's roster is so small as it is that if they take out Suzuki-Gun and say Shiozaki and/or Marufuji they're up a shit creek.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:37 am

Yeah. What indie companies NOAH would be able to work with will be interesting to see. I guess Zero-1/FMW and possibly Kaientai

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:00 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:As far as the contracts being sold as part of the deal, which would seem to be a given as without them there is no promotion, if people like Shiozaki & Kanemaru are really under Bushiroad deals, then I can easily see those contracts not being part of the deal.