Dragon Gate (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Headlock

Re: Dragon Gate 2015!!!

Post by Headlock » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:02 am

Off Topic
Alan4L wrote:Eita being out is absolutely the most head-scratching thing DG has done since I started following it. Like what the hell?

he's taken to the role so well and he was the only guy in the group who seemed like a fresh heel (well Shingo too to be fair)
It's very interesting to see these posts, since Eita has rocked in OG ever since the DK Mentor story. So would you guys say Eita out of VerserK was the right decision, or would you sqy otherwise?
Call me leon

Starshine

Re: Dragon Gate 2015!!!

Post by Starshine » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:55 am

Headlock wrote:
Off Topic
Alan4L wrote:Eita being out is absolutely the most head-scratching thing DG has done since I started following it. Like what the hell?

he's taken to the role so well and he was the only guy in the group who seemed like a fresh heel (well Shingo too to be fair)
It's very interesting to see these posts, since Eita has rocked in OG ever since the DK Mentor story. So would you guys say Eita out of VerserK was the right decision, or would you sqy otherwise?
I don't think it really matters. He didn't do anything of note between then and King of Gate the following year. Either he's a second stringer in VerserK, or a second stringer in OG.

It did initially feel weird that they were putting him on a level with the Yamamuras and Ishidas of DG. Even more so when you consider a lot of his Millennial contemporaries were getting pushed in some form at that time. It feels fitting now, but the presentation of both him and OG has changed quite a bit since.
Your signature here.

Empiresk

Re: Dragon Gate

Post by Empiresk » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:20 am

Finally caught up with King of Gate. The Final itself with T-Hawk vs Doi was a very good final. Crowd was red hot and T-Hawk looked great. His new knee strike is great, it's not Omega good, but works so well with guys like Doi and Eita selling it like death.

Kobe World is turning out to be... interesting...

Not a fan of the Triangle matches but at least it gets alot of people on the card. I hope Kagetora vs Flamita gets time unlike previous Brave Gate matches and a Doi and Yosshino Twin Gate challenge should be great.

Korakuen this week is a must watch with the Kobe World build and MaxiMuM vs Jimmyz.

FootOnTheRopes

Post by FootOnTheRopes » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:02 pm

Hopefully this ok to ask, but I was wondering if DragonGate usually ran events in and around the same time Wrestle Kingdom?

rollup

Post by rollup » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:47 pm

FootOnTheRopes wrote:Hopefully this ok to ask, but I was wondering if DragonGate usually ran events in and around the same time Wrestle Kingdom?
yes they do , but usually its mostly smaller shows (mostly tags). From Final gate in december to Memorial gate in March , there are usually no big scale shows other than the Monthly korakuens and Champion gate in osaka show.

FootOnTheRopes

Post by FootOnTheRopes » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:03 pm

rollup wrote:
FootOnTheRopes wrote:Hopefully this ok to ask, but I was wondering if DragonGate usually run events in and around the same time as Wrestle Kingdom?
yes they do , but usually its mostly smaller shows (mostly tags). From Final gate in december to Memorial gate in March , there are usually no big scale shows other than the Monthly korakuens and Champion gate in osaka show.
Thanks man, that is very appreciated, I certainly wouldn't be too bothered of the size of the show just to experience Dragon Gate would be great, especially when you consider DG tags 6 man's etc. I missed out on the opportunity on any live wrestling the last time I was in Japan, this time I would like to go a bit crazy.

rollup

Post by rollup » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:15 pm

FootOnTheRopes wrote:
rollup wrote:
FootOnTheRopes wrote:Hopefully this ok to ask, but I was wondering if DragonGate usually run events in and around the same time as Wrestle Kingdom?
Thanks man, that is very appreciated, I certainly wouldn't be too bothered of the size of the show just to experience Dragon Gate would be great, especially when you consider DG tags 6 man's etc. I missed out on the opportunity on any live wrestling the last time I was in Japan, this time I would like to go a bit crazy.
you can refer to this as a guide http://en.puwota.com/index.cgi?201711

usually if you want to combo Wrestle kingdom with other shows just stick to shows that are in Tokyo/Yokohama/saitama for convenience sake

FootOnTheRopes

Post by FootOnTheRopes » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:27 pm

rollup wrote:
FootOnTheRopes wrote:
rollup wrote:
you can refer to this as a guide http://en.puwota.com/index.cgi?201711

usually if you want to combo Wrestle kingdom with other shows just stick to shows that are in Tokyo/Yokohama/saitama for convenience sake
That's great man thank you very much indeed. Yeah i discovered when I was there the train system and convience of everything in the area, I didn't realise just how easy was in the end to get to the dome, korakuens hall (my prenunciation did not go well I have to say) I went there just from a tourist point, I found the lift up to Korakuen pretty strange at first.

iheartdg

Post by iheartdg » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:33 am

FootOnTheRopes wrote:Hopefully this ok to ask, but I was wondering if DragonGate usually ran events in and around the same time Wrestle Kingdom?
No, from Final Gate until the middle of January there is a break. The first shows of the new year are usually in Kansai the second weekend of January, with the first show in Tokyo the middle of the following week.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:42 pm

When Dragon Gate was doing that UK sub-brand, what was that singles title they were going to have be called?

Starshine

Post by Starshine » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:31 am

Holy shit, DK busted out the Dragonrana. I'm really surprised CK-1 retained. But ending it like that is totally worth it, and I liked the match quite a bit to boot.

When was the last time he used it? Was it one of the Ricochet matches?
Your signature here.

Starshine

Post by Starshine » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:21 am

Wow, I really liked T-Hawk/YAMATO. This is the sort of stuff I wanted when YAMAto won the title last year. I've been critical of T, but this was miles better than his previous Kobe World main event. The crowd was really into it, it had a really engaging story, and I could believe either guy had a chance of winning.

YAMATO had early control, but a nasty Cerberus from T-Hawk on the outside shifted the match in his favour. Then you had T-Hawk dropping the resilient champion with multiple bombs, but YAMATO would persevere. Then YAMATO chips away at T-Hawk until the latter is worn out and puts him away with the Galleria. Honestly, outside of the Dead or Alive Cage match, this was probably my favourite title defence of this run.

Overall, I really liked Kobe World. Considering some of my reservations in T-Hawk main eventing out of nowhere, I think it really delivered.
Your signature here.

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:30 pm

This might be the most divisive year that I can recall in terms of how the Western fanbase perceives this year. I feel like there's this divide that's forming where they are people who really despise this year and those who think this year has been fine. Regardless, though I do think there's also been this weird thing going on where people who don't hate this year hounding those that do and I think it's led to some vitriol being spewed. People have the right to think or feel any way about something and even if that contrast with what you personally feel, I think this is important to remember when we are voicing our opinions. Reasoning and understanding where people come from is much better than berating someone who doesn't have the same opinion.

With that out the way, look, I think this is one of those years where if you want immediate results, you're not going to get it. 2013 to DEAD or ALIVE 2016 was a hell of a run but eventually that was going to end. And we're getting to the point where you can start to see small signs that the Next Gen is about to take over; T-Hawk's push, Eita's 2016 plus him winning Block A this year, Big R squashing the Dream Champ in Korakuen, winning the Triangle Gate and being a key part to the new cool unit, Lindaman's slow elevation in which he's literally only lost to the Big Five, Fujii, Mochy, Kagetora while pinning the likes of Big R and Eita and becoming a champion, Ben freaking K already being a champion and apart of aforementioned cool new unit. Not to mention, the way they elevated Yamamura. Again this is a year where you haven't seen the obvious big thing and I think some would prefer that, but stuff is happening.

With that said, I think for newer fans that haven't gone through a cold period, it does sucks. Which makes sense. It's also interesting how CK-1's reign really is the mood point as to how people perceive this year. if you like it, you think this year is fine. If you hate it, and there's people that HATE it, then it's the personification of why you may not like this year. It's interesting for sure. Me personally, I think there's enough future building this year that makes me know that they are doing things, even if it's not huge. Now if we're in this same spot come next year's Kobe, then I'll be concerned. But for now, to me, this year is what it is.

Headlock

Post by Headlock » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:40 am

Starshine wrote:Holy shit, DK busted out the Dragonrana. I'm really surprised CK-1 retained. But ending it like that is totally worth it, and I liked the match quite a bit to boot.

When was the last time he used it? Was it one of the Ricochet matches?
Last time Used it on Ricochet 2012
at Kobe World and Dead or Alive before that the last time He before that was against Susumu at Kobe World 2006
Call me leon

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:20 pm

T-Hawk fully did his part in helping YAMATO pull out the best singles match of his title reign so far. MaxiMuM looked great, and it seems like the Unit Survival League is gonna put a big focus on Big R which I'm fully here for. Pretty sure he'll be the one to ultimately save his unit when it comes down to them and one or maybe two others as to who disbands.

Fine with Jimmyz beating MaxiMuM here, not too bothered with VerserK retaining as their bullshit managed to look better than it has done for a long time, thanks in no small part to some great work from the Jimmyz. If they're on the way out this year, then I have no doubt they're gonna be putting in massive shifts between now and then to go out on the biggest high possible.

Really not happy with CK-1's dire title reign continuing. Had the perfect time to do the change but nope. At least CIMA gets his record, I suppose, hopefully now he'll drop it to Mochi and Yamemura or whatever the fuck team they throw together.

Kagetora-Flamita was alright, but the show was all about the Dream and Triangle gate matches for me. Far from the best big DG show of the year, but more than enough to keep things interesting going into the Survival League.