Dragon Gate (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Tigerkinney

Re: Dragon Gate

Post by Tigerkinney » Mon May 08, 2017 11:01 pm

So after looking through the schedule for the King of Gate tournament, I have Eita winning the A-Block, Susumu winning the B-Block, Doi winning the C-Block and Hulk winning the D-Block as my picks, with Doi defeating Eita in the finals. What are everyone else's thoughts?

Anyway I hope a good chunk of this tournament makes tape, between this and BOSJ in NJPW fans of Junior Heavyweight wrestling are in for a real treat this month :D

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Tue May 09, 2017 12:29 am

Tigerkinney wrote:So after looking through the schedule for the King of Gate tournament, I have Eita winning the A-Block, Susumu winning the B-Block, Doi winning the C-Block and Hulk winning the D-Block as my picks, with Doi defeating Eita in the finals. What are everyone else's thoughts?

Anyway I hope a good chunk of this tournament makes tape, between this and BOSJ in NJPW fans of Junior Heavyweight wrestling are in for a real treat this month :D
Mike from OTVG got a schedule up complete with the taping schedule. I believe it's all up to date. Some stuff that I'm quite surprised isn't making tape but there's a good amount in there.

throwstuff165

Post by throwstuff165 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:01 am

I'm a pretty casual DG fan, but I've got Shimizu winning A, Susumu winning B, Doi winning C, and Takagi winning D. Doi over Susumu in the finals. Every block besides C seems pretty tough to call, though. Could easily see all three of those being wrong.

Starshine

Post by Starshine » Tue May 09, 2017 3:00 am

I'm a little surprised to see some fans are down on the fact Doi didn't win the DoA cage match. Especially since the match has always been about establishing either a sobering (face loses his hair) or solaced (face finally gets the last flag) feeling. If you have popular face Doi win the title, but also have popular face YAMATO lose his hair, then both events would likely hurt the overall impact of the other. It's probably why we've never had one of these matches end with two faces, or two heels, closing the match. It's the one drawback of that match design.
Your signature here.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Tue May 09, 2017 8:16 am

Looking at that schedule- Jimmy K-Ness and 'Cyber Kong' don't even get to appear on TV at all, poor them. Bit disappointed to see only one Jimmy Kagetora match make tape too.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue May 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Can someone recommend a DG/TORYUMON match that exemplifies the Llave Style?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue May 09, 2017 8:17 pm

Our very own Milo wrote a deep, emotional piece on their life and how Kotoka relates to it. Definitely worth a look: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2017/0 ... cter-work/

Headlock

Post by Headlock » Tue May 09, 2017 8:34 pm

Both CIMA vs Super Shisa matches from 2013 & 2014 do that
Call me leon

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:37 pm

Haven't decided who wins certain blocks. But I do have T-Hawk winning the entire thing.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Sat May 13, 2017 4:40 am

I know this probably sounds crazy as fuck but I'm way more invested in Yashida then I was when he was Cyber Kong. I dunno if it's just the gimmick had run its course and he needed freshen up or if it's the fact I can read his facials now and tell what he's thinking. But just from the most recent kouraken hall in less inclined to want to skip his matches. Am I alone on this?

Speedy Bellerin

Post by Speedy Bellerin » Sun May 14, 2017 10:52 am

So I watched Dead or Alive. It was kind of a cool moment for me seeing as last years Dead or Alive was the first DG show I watched, despite explicit warnings from Joe & Rich not to start with that. Sure I was confused and it took me a while to realise that Dragon Gate wasn't like that all the time but it was a start.

I've seen so much cool stuff in the last year. The Monster Express disbands and last Tozawa match were particularly emotional. I've seen veterans kick the ever living piss out of rookies. A 20 minute time limit draw that has become one of my favourite matches and Shingo, Big R and El Lindaman have become some of my favourite wrestlers. I've seen a company where multiman tag matches aren't forgettable, instead they're one of the best things in wrestling. And I've seen a greasy Gamma scale a cage in nothing but speedos and a hard helmet.

Dragon Gate is awesone

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Mon May 15, 2017 10:55 am

This promotion rules.

There was a point a few months ago where I thought I'd never get into Dragon Gate at the same level as some of the fanatics on this site. The history just seemed too deep and impregnable, and nothing was connecting as a result. I was cherry-picking the shows, however, and realised that that is no way to enjoy a company like this.

After deciding to watch every show from start to finish (using the wonderful iheartdg.com for promo translations), I'm totally into it. I bloody loved Dead Or Alive: it was goofy, silly, and over-the-top, but still crammed-in lots of storyline stuff too. Cyber Kong, for all his flaws, is one of the most genuinely interesting characters in wrestling at the moment. There's so much they can do with him now that he has been unmasked, and his teddy bear-like charm endures.

DG is full of my favourite character types, too - from the grumpy wrestledads (Mochi, Fujii), to fired-up rookies (Yamamura), to total asshole bully heels (Shingo). I made all kinds of noise at the May 9th main event finish. I'm hooked.

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Murrr wrote:This promotion rules.

There was a point a few months ago where I thought I'd never get into Dragon Gate at the same level as some of the fanatics on this site. The history just seemed too deep and impregnable, and nothing was connecting as a result. I was cherry-picking the shows, however, and realised that that is no way to enjoy a company like this.

After deciding to watch every show from start to finish (using the wonderful iheartdg.com for promo translations), I'm totally into it. I bloody loved Dead Or Alive: it was goofy, silly, and over-the-top, but still crammed-in lots of storyline stuff too. Cyber Kong, for all his flaws, is one of the most genuinely interesting characters in wrestling at the moment. There's so much they can do with him now that he has been unmasked, and his teddy bear-like charm endures.

DG is full of my favourite character types, too - from the grumpy wrestledads (Mochi, Fujii), to fired-up rookies (Yamamura), to total asshole bully heels (Shingo). I made all kinds of noise at the May 9th main event finish. I'm hooked.
This is always awesome to hear stories of people getting hooked. This is so cool.

rollup

Post by rollup » Fri May 19, 2017 2:07 am

They have to turn cyber kong babyface now , there is no way he can heel it up with that cute chubby face of his

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:46 pm

I gotta say after watching King of Gate Night 3, my favorite thing going on in the company is the MaxiMuM and Jimmyz feud. I love how bitter they are getting towards each other and how much the Jimmyz are bullying the young boys. Does anyone get the feeling that this could be the end of the Jimmyz? I just have a strange feeling this whole feud is going to escalate into a unit vs. unit disband match.