Dragon Gate (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
PKThree

Re: Dragon Gate

Post by PKThree » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:44 pm

They are one of the more promo heavy promotions so they should definitely allow her to understand the characters and motivations if she has a decent grasp of the language

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:37 pm

The thing with Dragon Gate is, while you've got the deep backstories and lots of storylines, even if you ignore or just aren't interested in all of that, Dragon Gate's probably the best bet for getting a fun show with a bunch of characters, some comedy and lots of action.

Goat

Post by Goat » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Cabel wrote:Mochizuki/Fuji vs. Ishida/Yamamura may have had one of my favorite finishes ever. Everything you needed to know about the story of the match summarized and punctuated with a "fuck you" stomp from Mochi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I loved that match. Thought it was the best thing on Final Gate.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:34 pm

cbacon87 wrote:The thing with Dragon Gate is, while you've got the deep backstories and lots of storylines, even if you ignore or just aren't interested in all of that, Dragon Gate's probably the best bet for getting a fun show with a bunch of characters, some comedy and lots of action.
yep and they do so many little things to make for a really fun fan-friendly live experience.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:00 am

Thanks a lot guys, I knew I could count on this place for opinions on this. I'm a complete DG newbie but the style of wrestling is really fast-paced and fun, the aesthetic is brightly colored and interesting, and the character stuff on the surface level should be easily understood (face/heel, faction vs faction, and veteran vs rookie as has happened on recent shows) so that's why I was thinking DG might be good, but also knowing the storylines run deep in this company had me a bit worried. I'm looking forward to getting deeper into this promotion myself so I can get more out of seeing them live.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:29 am

Spent last night watching some 2004 Toryumon and it is amazing to see the continuity in the promotion.

Saito and Horiguchi were tagging together and pretty much are still putting on the exact same match on 12 years ago. I am convinced I saw an identical match in 2004 just a few months ago at Korakuen Hall. Amazing longevity by the two.

The Florida Brothers now maybe the best comedy act of all time. Coming out to Living in America wearing Ribera Steak House jackets and Steiner/Angle-esq American flag singlets. Hokey, cliched, patronizing starts to their promos, in English, and sprinting up to their feet when they win a match to stand up for the US National anthem. I am sure some of the old time watchers may have gotten tired of them at the time but they are a major highlight when I go back and watch the old shows.

Also, Milano Collection A.T. looks like the biggest star in the company. Would love to know more as to why he ended up leaving and joining New Japan. I do recall Jae on the OTVG podcast saying he did not like Magnum Tokyo but would love to know more.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Hulk will face YAMATO for the Dream Gate title on the 2/2 Korakuen show! Also Doi, Yoshino, Ben-K and Kotoka seems to be the new stable considering the angle at the end of the 1/18 show.

Speaking of which, it was good, but still one of the weakest Korakuen shows in a long time. Main event was really good but the rest was forgettable. Still, storylines look really intruiging and the Hulk vs YAMATO match should be really fantastic, and it's in Korakuen so the atmosphere should be excellent.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Gamma is out with an elbow injury.
Kotoka has injured his kneew (guy is made of glass. He just came back and just got injured again)
Masato Yoshino ir out with a herniated disk in his back and a spinal injury. No known date for his return,

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:26 pm

The "spinal injury" is three fractured vertebrae. Shit...
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:38 am

Jacob's Bawks wrote:The "spinal injury" is three fractured vertebrae. Shit...
My thoughts exactly. Sounds like a career threatening injury for Yoshino :(

iheartdg

Post by iheartdg » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:43 pm

Injuries.

For Kotoka, it was a nagging thing he was trying to just work through. Made it worse. No timetable on a return. Hoping it isn't too long.

Gamma was also a nagging thing and the time off was planned. They did an angle to explain it. He was going to take awhile off, but with the mess now he may have to come back sooner.

As for Yoshino. It happened on a Death Valley bomb from Takagi. He finished the match on adrenaline but as soon as he got backstage we went numb. Couldn't move. No feeling in his extremities. It came back at the hospital everywhere but his arms. Got MRIs and the hernia diagnosis. It's really bad, the doctor was advising retirement because it could have lasting effects on his quality of life. He made an appearance at an event but couldn't sign autographs because he couldn't hold a pen. Not sure how bad it is compared to Kanda way back when, but it's a similar situation. Tragic. That said, I expect him to be back next year.

Don't know about Kaito.

Tomorrow is gonna something. Don't know how they salvage what was planned.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Oh my god. Oh my god. I hope he's alright. I really couldn't give a shit whether he wrestles again or not, I just hope he comes out of this okay.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

packerman120

Post by packerman120 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:42 pm

That is horrible to hear about Masato Yoshino. Hope he can make a full recovery.

strikamura

Post by strikamura » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:46 pm

ayaashm wrote:Oh my god. Oh my god. I hope he's alright. I really couldn't give a shit whether he wrestles again or not, I just hope he comes out of this okay.
This. It really sucks.

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:47 pm

That Yoshino news just made me cringe. Man that is awful. Wish him nothing but the best.