Dragon Gate (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Statoke

Re: Dragon Gate 2015!!!

Post by Statoke » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:16 am

I forgot there was a show :/
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

Niall

Post by Niall » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:00 pm

Having read the reviews of this show I want to get into Dragon Gate. Is there something similar to the New Japan book that explains the roster, titles and tournaments?

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:27 pm

Just finished the main event. Holy hell did I love that dream gate title match. Match of the year for the promotion for me. I was just so brutal to watch. Couple moments had me cursing by how stuff everything looked. The story that Masaaki just would not go down to this absolute prick was awesome. I have it at 4 3/4 only because the finish was never fully in doubt to me. I don't see shingo losing the title until Akira.
► Show Spoiler
Now after this show I have to wonder where do you guys feel dragon gate should rank for promotion of the year and booker of the year? From a booking perspective I've been more impressed with them this year then New Japan and I feel they have been a little more consistent with their big shows. Even their inbetween shows have more of an importance to them. Honestly I feel guilty when I neglect them for too long to catch up on other promotions because they seem the most consistent in terms of storyline advancement and match quality at least in terms of their infinity tapings. Thankful for iheartdg for keeping me at least in the know of what's going on storyline wise even if I don't watch every show (although I need to stop reading it before I watch shows since I find that I end up being less likely to watch since I know what's going to occur). Has anyone looked in to see if their attendance has been up or remotely similar to the year before?

aladdnzane

Post by aladdnzane » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Niall wrote:Having read the reviews of this show I want to get into Dragon Gate. Is there something similar to the New Japan book that explains the roster, titles and tournaments?
http://www.iheartdg.com/

That is all you need. There's no book. But Jae's website is pretty amazing in regards to giving detailed translation of anytime anyone is on a mic (Also has a title history, upcoming shows, and a nifty new store for people outside of Japan). DG is very rooted in it's own history when it comes to how it's booked. Something could have happened years ago they call back to in a way no other company in the world does. So reading the website for the story progression is pretty important. Recently two of the main factions were disbanded due to those teams losing faction disband matches so it's not a bad time to jump on as everything is falling back into place now with new groups named, teams formed and new stories going forward. DG may be the best booked and most entertaining brand in the world so have fun it's totally worth the commitment.

Niall

Post by Niall » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks for the help. What's a good show to start with?

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:01 pm

dancecab wrote: Now after this show I have to wonder where do you guys feel dragon gate should rank for promotion of the year and booker of the year?
Since NXT isn't a promotion, i'd probably have to go with Dragon Gate on this one too. Triple H for best booker (imagine that) and Dragon Gate for best promotion.

I would also give a nod to ROH for promotion of the year. You have to acknowledge their huge increase in ticket sales over the year, and they've been really solid as well.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:23 pm

Morten VH wrote:
dancecab wrote: Now after this show I have to wonder where do you guys feel dragon gate should rank for promotion of the year and booker of the year?
Since NXT isn't a promotion, i'd probably have to go with Dragon Gate on this one too. Triple H for best booker (imagine that) and Dragon Gate for best promotion.

I would also give a nod to ROH for promotion of the year. You have to acknowledge their huge increase in ticket sales over the year, and they've been really solid as well.
Those are my thoughts as well. It shall be interesting to see how many people vote for NXT and Lucha Underground considering they are brands/tv shows and not full promotion for Promotion of the Year. Would Genki be considered the booker for Dragon Gate?

ROH is defiantly in the running for me as well. I might even give Delirious the nod above Triple H for Booker. Although I know a lot of people are going to disagree due to the dirty finishes.

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Niall wrote:Having read the reviews of this show I want to get into Dragon Gate. Is there something similar to the New Japan book that explains the roster, titles and tournaments?
IHeartDG.com is going to become one of your best friends if you want to get into Dragon Gate. Jae has been covering the company since day one. He still has the roster part of his new site under construction but hopefully that gets fixed soon. He had great bios for each roster member on his old site.

This forum is the best place to discuss DG on the Internet. If you have any questions that aren't answered by checking out IHeartDG, feel free to ask them here. I'm sure Alan, Angry, or I could help you.

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:53 pm

dancecab wrote:
Now after this show I have to wonder where do you guys feel dragon gate should rank for promotion of the year and booker of the year?
They're my promotion of the year. DDT and Big Japan have really slowed down since July. DG had a boring start to the year, but since Dead or Alive, this company has been something else.

1) Dragon Gate
2) Ring of Honor
3) NJPW/Big Japan/DDT

I asked Dave last year who booked Dragon Gate and he said Genki Horiguchi. Jae has since said that Horiguchi isn't booking and never really was. I don't know who is currently booking but they will be getting my Booker of the Year vote. It's not even close. No one touches this company from a booking standpoint.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:05 pm

Funny, I thought DG had a great start but that's probably due to the Jimmyz getting a decent push, BxB Hulk tearing it up and the Millennials. But yeah, since Dead or Alive its been great. They probably are the promotion of the year even if it isn't necessarily my favourite.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:26 am

Yeah DG is my promotion of the year. I think they've been great all year, starting with the Osaka shows in February (Champion Gate I think?)

I'm re-watching the main from the other night, and they do the Hansen/Kobashi turnbuckle lariat spot. What a match.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:33 am

And we haven't even gotten to the highlight of the year yet (hopefully)...

DOI DARTS

skrambr0

Post by skrambr0 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:06 am

still going through the show, but just wanted to say I was shocked by how much I LOVED the Brave Gate three-way - before watching I thought it would be decent, wacky, Real-Hazard-esque fun, and it very much was (red box attack!), but around halfway through everything shifted into another level and it ended up turning into something that far exceeded my expectations. Super great match.

Happy that the Brave is on Kotoka and looking forward to hopefully seeing some of the younger wrestlers get into contention for some fun, meaningful title matches.

jesse

Post by jesse » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:16 am

I've heard one of the main bookers was Don Fujii but it's all just rumors. Pretty much every vet in the company outside of Mocchy has been said to be the one booking DG. :lol:

T-Hawk, Flamita and Eita have been in a lot of meaningful title matches so it isn't like Dragon Gate haven't been pushing them. They just didn't get over in the Millennials. Those guys all being shifted around is a good thing because they get to be helped out by the older guys and they get to establish themselves more. And T-Hawk doesn't have to cut as many promos eheheheheheh
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Cabel

Post by Cabel » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:33 am

I'm slowly getting caught up. I still have have to watch the Shingo/Fuji show and the Shingo/Masa show.