WhatCulture Pro Wrestling (WCPW)/Defiant Wrestling Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
themib

Re: WhatCulture Pro Wrestling (WCPW)

Post by themib » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:52 am

They've added two Loaded specific tapings on August 22nd in Leeds and August 25th in Sheffield.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:13 pm

The Round of 16 brackets have been finalized:
► Show Spoiler
Round of 16 Show: 8/23 at Milton Keynes
Quarter Finals: 8/24 at Manchester
Semi-Finals & Finals: 8/26 at Newcastle

Of course, all of these will probably be delayed a couple days before the come out on Twitch & YouTube.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:21 pm

All three are actually airing live on YouTube. There's a show in Sheffield on the 22nd being taped for delayed VOD (I believe featuring Rey Mysterio vs. Ricochet), and a Loaded taping in Leeds on the 25th.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:51 pm

themib wrote:All three are actually airing live on YouTube. There's a show in Sheffield on the 22nd being taped for delayed VOD (I believe featuring Rey Mysterio vs. Ricochet), and a Loaded taping in Leeds on the 25th.
Oh, ok sweet.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:26 am

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:03 pm

I skipped some matches so I suppose take this with a grain of salt, but an overall fun show. I enjoyed most of what I was excited to see (Kenny vs KUSHIDA, Bailey vs Banks and the surprising chemistry of Bad Bones vs Penta). I thought Jay Lethal vs ZSJ had a really nice match, as well. I don't follow the promotion so was lost on all the storyline stuff but the
► Show Spoiler
Really highly recommend the main event, though - if you check out one match out of the show, it's gotta be this one. Was amazed at what Rey can do (given his age & history of injuries) and Ospreay brought it big time against his hero. Very good match.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:26 am

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:44 am

suplexberry wrote:I skipped some matches so I suppose take this with a grain of salt, but an overall fun show. I enjoyed most of what I was excited to see (Kenny vs KUSHIDA, Bailey vs Banks and the surprising chemistry of Bad Bones vs Penta). I thought Jay Lethal vs ZSJ had a really nice match, as well. I don't follow the promotion so was lost on all the storyline stuff but the
► Show Spoiler
Really highly recommend the main event, though - if you check out one match out of the show, it's gotta be this one. Was amazed at what Rey can do (given his age & history of injuries) and Ospreay brought it big time against his hero. Very good match.
I agree this show was great Mysterio & Ospreay was amazing, those guys put on a clinic. After all the crazy stuff they ended up doing, for me, the emotional post-match was close to being the best part of the whole thing. I'm convinced that ZSJ and Hiromu can have a great match with anyone and Lethal can almost always deliver in WCPW Sabre & Lethal and Hiromu & Lucky Kid were fun. Heck, even War Machine & Marty Scurll vs The Prestige was a great breather match.
► Show Spoiler
I'm going to put my feelings for the quarter final show tomorrow, it was easily as good or better than the Round of 16 show.
Last edited by BackLash on Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:04 am

Ospreay's two tournament matches have been incredible, great free examples of what he's capable of.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:40 am

Day 2 of the World Cup was only as long as it needed to be and it delivered mostly in that time.

I feel Hiromu vs. "Elgin's Replacement" was the weakest match, though I chalk that up to a clash of styles. Even then, the match was a well-told story between the two.

Ricochet vs. Penta was an action packed offering with some truly sick spots. All that time spent wrestling on Lucha Underground gave them great chemistry and it showed.

The main even with Sabre and KUSHIDA was a well worked, technical masterpiece that took it's time to tell its story. This played to both their strengths in the submission game and both guys were selling their suffering perfectly. It will be a divisive match for sure, in part because of the pacing but ever since the beginning of the World Cup, I've enjoyed Sabre's style so I loved it.

Ospreay vs. Speedball was fantastic. Say what you want about the "...dive" argument, what those two put on was an exciting match that delivered a lot of great spots and crisp shots. I'm new to Mike Bailey so I haven't seen a lot of his best stuff and while his other matches were pretty good, he and Ospreay took it to another level. Flips and kicks all over the place and I enjoyed the whole thing. Not only was this the match of the night, I honestly belive it has a strong case for being a Match of the Year candidate (Ospreay vs. Rey too, but this match was better IMO). Great, great match which I hope Bailey will get more exposure after this.

Tommorrow's Card for the Semi-Finals and Finals is pretty much set:

Non-World Cup Matches
WCPW Championship Title Match: Joe Hendry (c) vs. Jack Swagger
Magnificent 7 Briefcase Match: El Ligero (c) vs. Rampage
World Cup Matches
► Show Spoiler
Martin Kirby and Primate are comfired to appear and it's pretty obvious the most of the Prestige will be represented as well. I really don't know if they'll appear, but considering Drake and Alex Gracie don't seemed to be booked for anything tomorrow, they also may or may not be there.

Should be fun.
Last edited by BackLash on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:49 pm

I only had time to take a peek at KUSHIDA vs ZSJ and Bailey vs Ospreay. Might catch Penta vs Ricochet on my commute tomorrow or something.

Both excellent matches, but I felt like had they known how they'd turn out, they wouldn't have booked them in the order they did. KUSHIDA & Sabre's style was appreciated but in a different environment it would've brought the house down. As such, people liked it, but felt like crowd had poured most of their energy into the previous match. I still loved it, the technical stuff was all crisp, interesting and well-paced. Surprising victor (or is it? my head is too deep into NJPW booking to consider to parse this one).

Bailey and Ospreay had a solid great match at RevPro last year and I think I said then I hope they have another down the line, one with bigger emotion or an angle or some kind of bigger stakes attached to it. I think they still have that ultimate match in them but this was definitely a step above their previous encounter. Excellent match that had shades of epic, where they definitely towed the line of doing too much, but I loved it all the same. Even if Ospreay hasn't been used the best in NJPW, the influence is so evident these days in his style. There are the obvious influences from Shibata and a lot of tributes to Okada, but then there's just the slow building of intensity towards the end of the match that I think he's really beginning to put together. Same as the Rey match, this match just crescendoed beautifully and both guys had spots where they drew upon the fighting spirit psychology, which makes perfect sense for both, having matured in their separate journeys to Japan.

Not a flawless match by any means but just great stuff, and the crowd ate it up. Any Ospreay haters left in the world, come fight me. This guy is so good, and he's only going to get better, so why not get on board now.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:56 am

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:18 pm

Watched the Milton Keynes show so far. Crowd were a bit weird for the bulk of it (somewhere between Full Sail NXT and Takeover NXT, where they'd at least react for big stuff, but not much in between unless the right person was in there), but the top two matches were well worth it. Having not seen any post-WWE Rey matches, I was really pleasantly surprised at how good he looked. Favourite match was definitely Zack and Lethal though.

What Culture's been 'that Youtube channel you keep telling yourself you'll get around to eventually' for me, so it was a decent first impression. I don't know if it's representative of where the regular product is at, but I'll probably end up giving them a shot and find out now.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:54 pm

I don't know the in's and out's of WhatCulture but these guys were all the wrestling-focused staff they had so I suspect they were not just on-air personalities but also promoters of the WCPW side of things. Robin Reid recently went into some detail on how the wrestling side had to be losing money, but the press release doesn't say whether they were let go or leaving on their own accord, so who really knows at this point.

If WCPW comes to an end, it's a shame for all the UK talent that got to work there. May not have watched or been a loyal fan myself, but things like Martin Kirby becoming such a key part of this promotion was very heartwarming. So long as clickbait money goes into El Ligero's pocket, I'm totally cool with them existing.

Edit: Somebody in the comments, an ex-employee, went off on the boss of WC. It might've been that they left collectively because they'd just had enough of working with this particular guy.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:10 am

Just as I started watching, good timing.

Blampied's twitter is teasing something, his profile pic is some kind of logo with a 5 in the middle. Which could easily just be some new channel the five of them are making. But, out there speculation, apparently 5 Star Wrestling is not only still a thing, but they've got a TV deal starting in February. And looking at their Twitter, their last tweet before announcing it, which was also their first tweet in a while, was this...