WhatCulture Pro Wrestling (WCPW)/Defiant Wrestling Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
BackLash

Re: WhatCulture Pro Wrestling (WCPW)

Post by BackLash » Mon May 22, 2017 11:42 am

WCPW Loaded Tapings have been canceled for the foreseeable future because of the YouTube Ad Boycott.

One of the few silver linings of all this is the confirmed dates for the rest of the tournament:
German Leg - 7/2 in Berlin
Japan Leg - 7/9 in Manchester (confirmed on TwitLonger (thanks themlb) and the video's comment section later on as it was missing in the actual video)
USA Leg - 7/21 in Manchester
Rest of the World Leg - 7/22 in Newcastle
Finals - 8/23 in Milton Keynes, 8/24 in Manchester, and 8/26 in Newcastle

Last edited by BackLash on Mon May 22, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themib

Post by themib » Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 am

They posted a TwitLonger that included the Japanese Qualifiers. Still, basing a company around YouTube revenue was always going to bite them up the arse.

JamieOD

Post by JamieOD » Mon May 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Only $43 for a video with a million views? That's bonkers. I never expected Youtube money to be worth loads to begin with but I'd never thought it would hit that low either.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon May 22, 2017 2:25 pm

themib wrote:They posted a TwitLonger that included the Japanese Qualifiers. Still, basing a company around YouTube revenue was always going to bite them up the arse.
Definitely unsustainable. It's one of the reasons I was always weary of even attempting or thinking about going full time with VOW. I had a friend who was making $1k+ per week on YouTube. He got caught up in a controversy and in a few weeks was down to a few hundred dollars per week to almost nothing in a month's time. It's a violate business model.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Tue May 23, 2017 4:21 pm

I could be looking at this too harshly but is it not a bit out of line to be calling YT out for what is essentially something they pay voluntarily. Is there anything about YT that gives anyone the explicit right to be compensated at any level? If anyone has a problem with what YT offer, then that’s on them to go out and find their own platform and their own advertisers, right? Seems to be a very entitled attitude from people about this. I get that it’s disappointing but YT are well within their rights.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Tue May 23, 2017 7:48 pm

The full bracket for the Japanese Leg of the World Cup was just announced:
-Jushin Thunder Liger
-KUSHIDA
-Hiromu Takahashi
-BUSHI
-Ryusuke Taguchi
-Sho Tanaka
-Yohei Komatsu
-Tiger Mask (didn't say which one it was, probably TM 4)
Alan4L wrote:I could be looking at this too harshly but is it not a bit out of line to be calling YT out for what is essentially something they pay voluntarily. Is there anything about YT that gives anyone the explicit right to be compensated at any level? If anyone has a problem with what YT offer, then that’s on them to go out and find their own platform and their own advertisers, right? Seems to be a very entitled attitude from people about this. I get that it’s disappointing but YT are well within their rights.
I do understand that this was a business decision YouTube needed to make or they would not have advertisers at all.

For me, I'm not a fan on how this all was handled, YouTube got scooped by the press that this was a problem and that never should have happened. Also, thousands of people who did nothing wrong are getting screwed by the racist or ill-advised actions of a few.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Wed May 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Tomohiro Ishii has been announced as a competitor in a non-tournament match for the event.

themib

Post by themib » Fri May 26, 2017 3:08 pm

BT Gunn vs. Kenny Williams will meet to decide who replaces Drew Galloway in the Pro Wrestling World Cup at the Built To Destroy iPPV on June 16th.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Fri May 26, 2017 11:30 pm

themib

Post by themib » Tue May 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Bobby Fish and Ricochet are in the US qualifiers on July 21st. The Japan qualifiers will feature a non-tourney match between Kyle O'Reilly and Marty Scurll.

themib

Post by themib » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Cody Rhodes and James Storm have been added to the US Qualifiers. The first entrant into the Rest of the World Qualifiers is Mark Davis, representing Australia.

WCPW will be adding a Hardcore Championship - Jimmy Havoc and Primate will meet for it at Built To Destroy 2017 on June 16th.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:07 am

Welp:

As a result, the entirety of the Fight Back show that was done today has been taken down. In a follow up tweet WCPW was told by YouTube that their "...ability to live stream has been revoked."

themib

Post by themib » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:30 am

They've posted the full show onto Facebook now.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:14 pm

David Starr and Jay Lethal added to the US World Cup Qualifiers.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Last two in the US qualifying round are Moose and Matt Sydal.