WhatCulture Pro Wrestling (WCPW)/Defiant Wrestling Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
themib

WhatCulture Pro Wrestling (WCPW)/Defiant Wrestling Thread

Post by themib » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:31 pm

This is something that's got some people talking over the past couple of months. WhatCulture Pro Wrestling (WCPW) was born out of the website WhatCulture.com and its YouTube channel (the Wrestling portion is at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq8jp0 ... mBxjJ-JLgA), which is noted for its lists and suggestions on how to improve WWE's booking. The YouTube channel has over 775,000 subscribers, leading to a cult following for some of its cast of characters who appear in the videos, such as Adam Pacitti (the General Manager), Adam Blampied (the heel manager), Jack the Jobber (much abused young boy), King Ross (heel commentator) and various others.

The first two episodes of WCPW Loaded have aired on the channel (each part of the first episode has ranged around the 100,000 view mark), featuring names such as Jay Lethal, El Ligero, Rampage Brown, Noam Dar, Big Damo, Martin Kirby, Joe Coffey, Joe Hendry and Joseph Conners so far. The next tapings at the end of July in Newcastle will introduce the likes of Will Ospreay, Grado, Damien Sandow, Doug Williams and Nixon Newell to the roster. Whilst the in-ring action has been good, and the crowd has been lively (even with one or two people trying to get themselves over to a ridiculous degree), where it currently falls down is the very area the parent website criticises WWE for - its booking.

Three of the first eight matches have featured fuck finishes (a DQ in a three way, a needless count-out, and a political finish to protect an ROH Title match from taking place), and we already have a tag team that doesn't get along (two if you include the team that got beaten in that match, who seem to have split up already). Add to that ropey backstage segments (including throwing to ringside when they either instead throw to the commentators in the studio, or even to another backstage segment, and even some embarrassing cuts mid-promos), and the WhatCulture guys being forced all over the product usually at the expense of the wrestlers. And while there's promise with the commentary (Simon Miller who's from a video game website is pretty good for someone who's never called wrestling before), King Ross already has go-away heat from me for his budget look and some pretty annoying quirks he has. And don't talk to me about the ring announcer, who tries so hard to be Simon Cassidy (not a good look with several ICW wrestlers on the roster).

This is a reserved viewpoint for now, as WCPW are likely taking the feedback on board before they film the next shows - if those ones at the O2 Academy in Newcastle have the same problems as these ones, then there's a problem. For now, I'm just hoping they're teething problems. I will say that Jay Lethal vs. El Ligero (before the finish) and Noam Dar vs. Rampage Brown from this week's episode are very good matches.
Last edited by themib on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PKThree

Re: WhatCulture Pro Wrestling (WCPW)

Post by PKThree » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:01 pm

The cringiest promotion alive today

packerman120

Post by packerman120 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:10 pm

I'd argue that not even the wrestling itself is THAT good. Dar vs. Brown was fun, but Lethal vs. Ligero didn't feel right. I don't know what it is about it, but it didn't feel right. And the commentary and everything else about the show just ruins it.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:50 pm

PKThree wrote:The cringiest promotion alive today
Agreed, the booking of that first show was utterly horrendous, I might watch the occasional match because they've got some guys that I like working for them, I just hope a few of them can escape the dreadful self-serving booking that killed the first show dead!

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:07 am

JB Gremlin wrote: Agreed, the booking of that first show was utterly horrendous, I might watch the occasional match because they've got some guys that I like working for them, I just hope a few of them can escape the dreadful self-serving booking that killed the first show dead!
Isn't it ironic that a youtube channel who made its name complaining about the McMahons booking themselves as centerpieces in the WWE start up a promotion and place themselves front and center?

AJR

Post by AJR » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:37 am

I thought this sounded interesting when it was first announced. I don't like everything What Culture puts out, but it definitely has an audience, and it's cool to see that audience being introduced to the British wrestling scene. And hey, Blampied has gained a bit of notoriety for his little series on how the WWE should have booked things, so I figured it might be interesting to see what happens we he and his writer friends actually have the ability to play booker for a local fed.

But boy howdy, the few matches I've seen were rough. And I know the shows have some talented guys on them, but something about the whole package feels so off. Seeing the What Culture guys in an actual wrestling ring kind of makes it feel more like it's a backyard fed that can somehow afford actually talented wrestlers. It's cool to see British wrestling matches with hundreds of thousands of views, but at the moment it's just a weird, awkward experiment that I'd rather not waste my time with.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:01 am

I was pretty interested in this, and gave the first episode a shot and even watched some of the videos leading up to it, like the ones with Hendry and Damo. think the wrestlers work hard and I liked some of the matches on the first episode (Kirby vs El Ligero was a fun little comedy bout) but overall, I just wasn't into it enough to tune in for episode two. Hated the heel commentator, the face guy wasn't much better. It's an interesting conundrum because obviously the appeal for the Youtube channel is going to be the guys featured in the videos, but for an outsider and a broader audience, those guys aren't appealing enough as characters, and people who perform for a living should be more front and center.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:42 pm

El Ligero vs. Noam Dar vs. Will Ospreay from this week's episode, which was the first one taped at the larger O2 Academy in Newcastle. They're getting better, though some matches still drag, and YMMV on how much you can tolerate Alex Shane on commentary.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:48 pm

I know it's already blown up on Twitter with the Britwres lot but this is just insane.

Minoru Suzuki and El Desperado coming over for the October tapings. Opens up alot of questions as to how much money WCPW have and who in Japan allowed it. I think Suzuki could be a freelancer but Desperado is surely tied up being a recent Dojo graduate?

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:28 am

They are offering £5 tickets to show too. Not a great fan of them over paying for talent and undercutting other promotions.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:32 am

rovert wrote:They are offering £5 tickets to show too. Not a great fan of them over paying for talent and undercutting other promotions.
But their product is still very bad, they are sort of interested, to me, in getting enough people in the building so it doesn't look awful for their youtube subs rather than actual takings on the door (Otherwise they'd start putting on better all round shows)
LOL at cutting off the Suzuki song before the great Kaze Ni Nare bit drops, that would sell a few of those £5 tickets by itself!

themib

Post by themib » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:10 pm

The latest Marty Scurll/Will Ospreay match from tonight's WCPW Stacked show.

wac

Post by wac » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Kirby vs. Ospreay was an excellent match, definitely worth going out of your way to watch

themib

Post by themib » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:54 pm

WCPW has their iPPV tonight, "Refuse To Lose", airing at 7:30pm UK time, 2:30pm US Eastern. It's $14.99 on FITE TV, or $6.99 per month if you subscribe to WhatCulture Extra (if you only want tonight's show, make sure you cancel your subscription right afterwards)...

*Kurt Angle vs. Joe Hendry
*WCPW CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Joseph Conners (c) vs. Martin Kirby
*TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE WCPW INTERNET CHAMPIONSHIP: Alberto El Patron vs. El Ligero vs. Travis Banks
*WCPW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Nixon Newell (c) vs. Kimber Lee
*Cody Rhodes vs. Doug Williams
*STREET FIGHT: Rampage vs. Adam Blampied
*Joe Coffey vs. Minoru Suzuki

Jim Ross, Jim Cornette and Alex Shane on comms, plus Bret Hart will be appearing at some point.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:59 pm

Not posted since the last iPPV (and what a shambles it was on the WhatCulture Extra service)... and now Wednesday is the next one, "Delete WCPW" from Nottingham. A good card on paper... and then two Import vs. Import matches got added to it.

*TRIPLE THREAT STEEL CAGE MATCH FOR THE WCPW CHAMPIONSHIP: Joseph Conners (c) vs. Drew Galloway vs. Joe Hendry
*WCPW INTERNET CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: El Ligero (c) vs. Cody Rhodes
*ADAM PACITTI TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT FINAL FOR THE WCPW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP: The Coffeys (Joe Coffey & Mark Coffey) vs. Johnny Moss & Liam Slater
*TWO OUT OF THREE FALLS MATCH: Martin Kirby vs. Will Ospreay
*Alberto El Patron vs. Johnny Mundo
*Bully Ray vs. Matt Hardy
*Moustache Mountain (Trent Seven & Tyler Bate) & Nixon Newell vs. Bea Priestley & The Swords of Essex (Paul Robinson & Scott Wainwright)
*Primate vs. Rampage

Adam Pacitti is now the STEREOTYPICAL HEEL GM, naming a tournament after himself, and making a heel stable called the Pacitti Club with WILL OSPREAY in it (their shirt is a parody of the Bullet Club shirt, which given that Will is a member of CHAOS in New Japan is totally awkward) - it's him, his girlfriend Bea Priestley, and Paul Robinson and Scott Wainwright.

Also, the main event was meant to be a one-on-one steel cage match with Conners and Hendry, but Drew Galloway returned right at the end of the go-home show and inserted himself in because Conners was the one who gave him the neck injury he had. And the less said about why there's two matches exclusively featuring old WWE wrestlers, the better.