Breaking News : The push that is being given to Will Ospreay in NJPW was originally meant for Tetsuya Endo (self.njpw)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Breaking News : The push that is being given to Will Ospreay in NJPW was originally meant for Tetsuya Endo (self.njpw)

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:03 pm

I've got a great scoop for you. I have a close friend living in Japan who found a great piece of news which was leaked by someone in the NJPW Office to the Maitsuki Puroresu magazine. The rough translation of the report is :-

The push that is being given to Will Ospreay in NJPW was originally meant for Tetsuya Endo of the Dramatic Dream Team promotion. New Japan Pro Wrestling had been searching for the next Junior Heavyweight star (after KUSHIDA). They wanted to bring in Tetsuya Endo and push him as the latest member of CHAOS, BOSJ winner, etc. They offered him slightly less than what DDT was paying him. but promised to push him big time. However, Endo changed his mind at the last moment (2 weeks before New Japan Cup) and didn't sign with NJPW out of loyalty to his home promotion. However, Gedo had already formulated big plans for Endo, so he decided to search for a replacement. He spoke to various people. It was Okada(who had a match with Will Ospreay at a RevPro/NJPW joint show) who recommended Gedo to sign Ospreay

abrasiveobelisksa

Re: Breaking News : The push that is being given to Will Ospreay in NJPW was originally meant for Tetsuya Endo (self.njp

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:35 pm

Even though Ospreay was rumored to come in since the end of January?

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Re: Breaking News : The push that is being given to Will Ospreay in NJPW was originally meant for Tetsuya Endo (self.njp

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:31 pm

abrasiveobelisksa wrote:Even though Ospreay was rumored to come in since the end of January?
According to the full story, even though they had been in talks with Ospreay from January, that was only for a spot in the BOSJ/Super J Cup or at most a one off IWGP Jr. Title Challenge.If that worked they may have brought him back However, after Endo didn't sign, they decided to go full steam with him.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:11 pm

Ospreay-New Japan was a thing last November at the very least.

Planet

Post by Planet » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:00 am

If this is all true: Man, did New Japan become fortunate with Ospreay in BOSJ, between the Ricochet match and making Young Will even more of a hot commodity. It's truly a testament to Gedo's patient booking and finding the right pieces for the right roles even when you're forced to replace parts of the plan. It does make a kernel of sense to have Ospreay come in for the hot Invasion Attack match, and have someone like Endo come from relatively nowhere, start slow like Will did, and roll through the last so many opponents and go over Taguchi to get his championship match.

That said, I'm not sure I fully believe it, or maybe that it was originally for Endo but booking changed course when Ospreay took the world by storm earlier this year. Either way, an interesting claim.

jesse

Post by jesse » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:09 am

This seems more in line with the rumors surrounding Endo last year than this year.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:06 am

jesse wrote:This seems more in line with the rumors surrounding Endo last year than this year.
It happens with this guy every year, we think he is going to sign some place better, but stays loyal to his home promotion.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:44 am

I think some of this was probably lost in translation (literally) with two or three different stories combined into one. I don't doubt NJPW made a play(s) for Endo, but I don't think Will got his spot because they whiffed on Endo. Will was coming in either way. I suppose it is possible Endo would have gotten the CHAOS junior singles spot, with Will coming in as New Japan Army, but who knows.

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:29 am

Joe Lanza wrote:I think some of this was probably lost in translation (literally) with two or three different stories combined into one. I don't doubt NJPW made a play(s) for Endo, but I don't think Will got his spot because they whiffed on Endo. Will was coming in either way. I suppose it is possible Endo would have gotten the CHAOS junior singles spot, with Will coming in as New Japan Army, but who knows.
Yeah, even I'm pretty sure they would have signed Will anyways. But, would Will have won BOSJ if they had signed Endo as well ??

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:19 am

I know alot of people loved the King Of DDT final, but I thought it made it glaringly obvious that Endo is not ready for the spot Ospreay got. There were times in the match where he looked really green and sloppy still. Potential there for sure but he's not close to the finished article.

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:23 am

Alan4L wrote:I know alot of people loved the King Of DDT final, but I thought it made it glaringly obvious that Endo is not ready for the spot Ospreay got. There were times in the match where he looked really green and sloppy still. Potential there for sure but he's not close to the finished article.
Apart from one botched spot it was a MOTYC. A star making performance from Endo ****3/4

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:42 pm

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap wrote:
Alan4L wrote:I know alot of people loved the King Of DDT final, but I thought it made it glaringly obvious that Endo is not ready for the spot Ospreay got. There were times in the match where he looked really green and sloppy still. Potential there for sure but he's not close to the finished article.
Apart from one botched spot it was a MOTYC. A star making performance from Endo ****3/4
again, like I said I know alot of people loved it and I may be on an island but I didn't think it was all that great. Thought their timing was off on alot of stuff.

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:37 am

Alan4L wrote:
ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap wrote:
again, like I said I know alot of people loved it and I may be on an island but I didn't think it was all that great. Thought their timing was off on alot of stuff.

Can totally understand where you're coming from. A person's enjoyment of such a match depends upon how important you think those things are