NJPW - Young Lions - Excursions

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
PKThree

Re: NJPW - Young Lions - Excursions

Post by PKThree » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:31 pm

How often to RevPro run shows? On their site I see they have shows set throughout October but is that the norm? Or is there usually gaps between shows? If so I could see that being a problem with sending guys there.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:55 pm

If they sent them to work with RevPro they'd be working a handful of British promotions all within a few hours drive, similar to the way Watanabe isn't working exclusively with any one company either. If he was based in Aylesbury for example he'd be within a four and a half hour drive of anywhere in England, so would have the opportunity to work on any of these shows (and a lot of the smaller shows don't show up on here). I can't imagine think of any place in the UK that would turn down Tanaka or Komatsu working for cheap on one of their shows, apart from maybe a student show that is specifically student only.

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&view=res ... a=&region=

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:14 pm

The UK scene (or the Europe scene in general) seems to be in a boom right now. But how long has it been like this? I can totally see NJPW being hesitant to send guys over when there weren't that many promotions around like a few years back. The only company I remember that sent a guy over to the UK was Michinoku Pro sending Fujita Jr to England back when he started. And that was pre 2010

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:08 pm

Yeah, when Takahashi was originally sent over we were just at the beginning of our latest boom period, it was probably a bit too early although could have still worked (injury was a major contributing factor there). Now though would be the perfect time to send somebody over. At the very least they now have three viable options (CMLL, US Indies based with ROH and UK Indies based with RPW), so if for example they wanted to send Shohei out on excursions but were only ready to recall Takahashi and keep Watanabe with ROH then they could go that route.

TCMitchell
VOW Staff Member

Post by TCMitchell » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:01 am

I was looking at cagematch the other day and noticed that Komatsu is 27 years old (same age as Okada). I am not familiar with the young lion system, as I have only been avidly followed NJPW over the last year or two, but is this a detriment to the ceiling this guy can have? Would he be able to be pushed high enough on the card before he reaches his mid thirties? I think this would be an end to the discussion of him being a junior who eventually gets promoted to heavy a la Ibushi. Not only would he have to get a decent push as a jr. coming out of his young lion run, but then he would have to put on weight and then go through the story of a promotion to heavyweight.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:49 am

Historically speaking New Japan has had a problem with people paying their dues/being in the undercard for a bit too long. Kojima originally left for All Japan because he did not get singles opportunities under Inoki. Akiyama under Misawa/Baba is another good example.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Sorry for potentially necroing this thread. But on Tanahashi's podcast with Komatsu and Tanaka and they talked about this. Tanaka would like to go the states apparently and Komatsu to Mexico.

BrianB1027

Post by BrianB1027 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Really would love Tanaka to come to ROH full time for his excursion. He's a million times better then Watanabe.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:20 pm

for what it's worth AJ told me they're going soon

pol

Post by pol » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:25 pm

I'm excited to see Kamaitachi back in NJPW, and also to see what Japanese mythological creature the next guy sent to CMLL gets packaged as.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:48 pm

Samebito pls.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:59 am

Hiromu has improved so much so I can't wait for his return, I thought he sucked before but CMLL has done wonders for him, in the run for most improved.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:02 pm

pol wrote:I'm excited to see Kamaitachi back in NJPW, and also to see what Japanese mythological creature the next guy sent to CMLL gets packaged as.
I call for full on Naruto gimmick

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:18 pm

I hear NXT is always looking to develop wrestlers. :)
Who's Rob Viper ?

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:20 pm

Buzz Sawyer wrote:I hear NXT is always looking to develop wrestlers. :)
They should get a pure homegrown product to main event status first.