NJPW - Young Lions - Excursions

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
pol

Re: NJPW - Young Lions - Excursions

Post by pol » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:23 pm

It will be interesting to see if they send someone else to CMLL when Hiromu comes back or if they wait for Komatsu & Tanaka to come back.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:52 pm

cherrylimeaid wrote:I also saw posted above about Okumura and Shimoda so maybe they are the people I'm asking about but... I've heard that Nakamura went to CMLL before he got his charisma infusion. Naito I got to see leave, come back and have this newly developed persona. This Kamiatchi is loaded with personality not to mention the talent where I can't wait to hope to see him in the G1 (or I guess I could settle for the super juniors) Yet after this fantasticamania show its hit or miss on whose characters shine through. The question is who works with these guys in CMLL to do such in depth character development. And forget stealing in ring talent from CMLL, if WWE can figure out who the character development guy is in CMLL break the bank and get THAT guy.
Ha! CMLL is actually not great at character development on their own, leaving it up to the wrestlers to work on it but giving setting up with people who could help them. (Best example is Hechicero learning his fire trick after CMLL hooked him up with a real magician to teach him some tricks.) CMLL will help with things, but they'll also generally leave it up to the guys to make themselves. It is the anti-WWE thing where the wrestlers are given the freedom to come up with the other ideas, and some guys are more motivated to take advantage of it than others.

Nakamura came to Mexico with his current gimmick; he had the Michael Jackson vest and some of the mannerisms in his first match back. Mexico for him just a month of matches to work on refining it. Naito simply took what was working for his friend Sombra and made it work for him.

FWIW: it's mostly Okumura who's going to be helping Tanaka & Komatsu. Shimoda moved back to Japan years ago. She's primarily on these tours to be an extra translator, reprising her role as an ally of Okumura for fun. She and Okumura aren't married, it's just a running joke.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:31 pm

thecubsfan wrote: She and Okumura aren't married, it's just a running joke.
That is bitterly disappointing.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

JML

NJPW - Young Lions - Excursions

Post by JML » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:37 pm

cherrylimeaid wrote:Two questions ....

One with the latest two young lions leaving I see Jay White in the waiting circle to go excursion. Has there been an example of a gaijin first of all graduating the dojo. And second graduating, going on excursion, and returning. Would love for this to happen with the current crop, including Cody, but with the other two having dads that may want them elsewhere I'm betting Jay is the best bet to return.

Second, maybe cubsfan can chime in if he sees this. I also saw posted above about Okumura and Shimoda so maybe they are the people I'm asking about but... I've heard that Nakamura went to CMLL before he got his charisma infusion. Naito I got to see leave, come back and have this newly developed persona. This Kamiatchi is loaded with personality not to mention the talent where I can't wait to hope to see him in the G1 (or I guess I could settle for the super juniors) Yet after this fantasticamania show its hit or miss on whose characters shine through. The question is who works with these guys in CMLL to do such in depth character development. And forget stealing in ring talent from CMLL, if WWE can figure out who the character development guy is in CMLL break the bank and get THAT guy.

Did not know a thing about Kamiatchi or whatever the returning young lion's name is that fought Dragon Lee. But I feel part of the void that the WWE crew and young lion crew leaving is filled with him here, hopefully.
A lot of gaijins have graduated from the New Japan Dojo. I don't know if the Russians were trained by New Japan only in the 80s and they were also important in the promotion. The earliest class that comes off the top of my head is the class of Benoit, Too Cold Scorpio and Maxx Payne. Even all of these Bullet Club guys (Devitt, Fale) were dojo guys.

As Cubsfan said, the character development is all on the performers. Don't know for sure but I think Shiro Koshinaka became himself in Mexico when he did Samurai Shiro.

The Hirooki Goto you see now is mostly the Goto that came out of Mexico - weight included. He made it a point to become a heavyweight and got jacked in Mexico.

Akira Hokuto also comes to mind as she just went for it on the Kabuki gimmick with Etsuko Mita in 92. But a lot Japanese wrestlers don't become themselves off of Mexico excursions alone. Even Shimoda didn't do that on her own trip in 92.
Last edited by JML on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:49 pm

Well, moving from rigid Japan to easy-going Mexico can do wonders for a person. For starters.

pol

Post by pol » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:48 am

Sasuke got his gimmick in Mexico too I believe.

JML

Post by JML » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:01 am

pol wrote:Sasuke got his gimmick in Mexico too I believe.
Yes. I forgot about him and Hayabusa as well.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:47 pm

I seriously thought Goto was going to take the throne when he came back from Mexico.

I must have watched this move a hundred times:

http://youtu.be/uMUtfcB1T2Y

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:43 pm

David Finlay vs. Jay White is a very protected match so far. They've only faced once on TV, with Finlay winning, and White with a win on a non-televised show.

I hope we get more 1-on-1 between these two, and some 10 minute time limit matches in there as well. Komatsu & Tanaka squared off a million times and i'm ready for these two to do so as well.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Raijin and Fujin debut tonight in Guadalajara. The show is taped, but only airs locally. (There's actually local radio coverage too if you were really bored.) It may turn up on YouTube.

They, and Okumura and Kamaitachi, will be interviewed on CMLL's YouTube interview show (Wednesdays at 5pm CT), among other guests. It'll be Okumura translating for them into Spanish, but you'll be able to see them.

They're not listed on any of the streamed cards yet, but probably will be before long.

cherrylimeaid

Post by cherrylimeaid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:59 am

thecubsfan wrote:Raijin and Fujin debut tonight in Guadalajara. The show is taped, but only airs locally. (There's actually local radio coverage too if you were really bored.) It may turn up on YouTube.

They, and Okumura and Kamaitachi, will be interviewed on CMLL's YouTube interview show (Wednesdays at 5pm CT), among other guests. It'll be Okumura translating for them into Spanish, but you'll be able to see them.

They're not listed on any of the streamed cards yet, but probably will be before long.

When there is youtube seems like you have a captive audience here.

cherrylimeaid

Post by cherrylimeaid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:06 am

Another question I thought of is how does a typical excursion go? Are Tanaka and Kometsu going to probably stay in the Raijin and Fujin gimmicks for good for their duration there, whatever those gimmicks will appear as? How often is it that things change, whether its names, gimmicks, or mannerisms? How are they typically slated or is it a case by case basis.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:17 am

Observer:
Expect some major moves regarding New Japan World over the next year. At least some big things are in the talking stage. Apparently, no matter how it is positioned publicly, New Japan was very surprised at how little traction the service got within its home country. There wasn’t much thought of outside Japan, as evidenced by no English language site and sign-up page, but they were thinking 100,000 within Japan along would be no problem within a year given the cost and past iPPV performance, and they less than one-third there. Apparently they were way down financially as far as profitability of the big shows from the iPPV days to the New Japan World era, although as noted last week, the company is a profitable entity

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:58 am

Raijin and Fujin make their first CMLL streaming appearance next Tuesday. Show starts at 7:30pm CT, they should be on about an hour in. The link is always on the front page of CMLL.com a few hours before it starts and easy to find on Twitter.
cherrylimeaid wrote:Another question I thought of is how does a typical excursion go? Are Tanaka and Kometsu going to probably stay in the Raijin and Fujin gimmicks for good for their duration there, whatever those gimmicks will appear as? How often is it that things change, whether its names, gimmicks, or mannerisms? How are they typically slated or is it a case by case basis.
The names stay, but the looks are adjusted over time. Kamaitachi started out in a green and brown outfit with a tail before hitting on the red and black. Namajague's mask was adjusted to make it easier to wrestle in. Yoshi-Hashi experimented with a bunch of facepaint ideas he never ended up using in Japan. It's the usual bit of trying stuff and seeing what might work, as much to get them over in Mexico as anything they might bring back to Japan.

cherrylimeaid

Post by cherrylimeaid » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:49 am

Raijin and Fujin make their first CMLL streaming appearance next Tuesday. Show starts at 7:30pm CT, they should be on about an hour in. The link is always on the front page of CMLL.com a few hours before it starts and easy to find on Twitter.

Was not able to watch live, hoping somehow I can scour for archives on their site too or is it a matter of watching live or missing out?