2016 G1 Climax

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Jacob's Bawks

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:32 pm

Okada's had a few rough performances, but his Marufuji, Tenzan, Makabe, and Ishii matches were quite good. His Goto and Tonga performances can't be excused, but he has not bad overall.

I agree with everything Rich said about the Ace arguments and it's what I've tried to get across but I guess failed to.

I'd disagree with Tana carrying A Block. He's one of the top workers, but Ishii and Marufuji deserve about as much credit as far as workrate. Storywise, I'm still more invested in Tenzan than Tana. I don't care to see another story about an "underdog" overcoming the odds, Maggle. I'm more invested in seeing if this old bastard can survive another match.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

TranquiloColectionAT

Post by TranquiloColectionAT » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:46 pm

One of the reasons why I feel Tana deserves more praise than most for this G1 is that there was doubt he was even gonna be able to make the tournament.

Imagine missing 2 months with injury, rushing back risking further injury, and then doing one of the most grueling tours in wrestling. The fact that Tana has made you seemingly forget that is a testament to how great he has been. At the end of the day, Tenzan's body broke down and they ended his story half way through (which was stupid of them, there was more story left to tell and people wanted it); Okada and Marufuji had some night off; Tana didn't take nights off really and he had more than enough reasons to. First match back he jumps right into the fire and makes SANADA look like an absolute superstar; since then it's just been Tana doing Tana things and he's made people forget he missed months leading up to the G1.

For me, it's more than just snowflakes.
Last edited by TranquiloColectionAT on Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:01 pm

Tana's been very, very good. I have a huge soft spot for his match against Tenzan where he reads the crowd and just starts acting like a total dick. It's not rocket science, but it added to the match, and even if the fired up old man Tenzan fell in the end, it was still so much fun to watch. There is so much to be said for a great last hurrah. I love Tenzan right now.

There have been so many other good micro stories in this tournament, too. I'm really happy and excited about Marufuji doing his best work in the tournament, or the newbies like YOSHIHASHI and EVIL finding themselves in energetic bouts with veterans and others alike. I love SANADA and I love Elgin fitting in so well in NJPW, seems like he should've been there always. I like Naito being the effortless block topper - like the kid who skips class and still gets straight A's, upsetting everybody else. Some guys are floundering, or maybe just working hurt (Shibata?), but that's to be expected. Some days, I find life is too short to watch Makabe matches.

My top 5 right now would be Ishii, Marufuji, Tenzan, Yoshihashi and Omega. Ishii tops the list in terms of match quality, Marufuji is second in that regard, Tenzan in terms of story, YH due to his fire, and Omega because it's clear he's got something to prove. But even this list I could easily add about 3-4 names to, and yeah, Okada and Tana would probably be among those names.

skeach101

Post by skeach101 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:19 pm

Am I the only one that still thinks we're getting Tanahashi vs. Omega in the final?... in the REMATCH that we keep getting taken away from us.... which I think would be Tanahashi getting his redemption, but ultimately losing the briefcase to Naito at KoPW or something. I think Naito backdooring his way into the WK11 Main Event is such a douche heel move, and it would be perfect for him to do it.

As far as WHY does Naito get a title shot?.... here is my "Fantasy booking of this"

At the first Destruction show

Tanahashi vs. SANADA for the briefcase, since SANADA beat Tanahashi. Naito is at ringside. SANADA loses. Tanahashi and Naito have a staredown.

At the second Destruction show

LIJ vs. Tanahashi and a few others in a tag match. Tanahashi takes a pin from Naito. Naito cuts a promo after the match demanding a match at KoPW for the case.

King of ProWrestling.

Naito wins. Gets the case. Naito vs. Okada at WK11, with Naito getting some nice heat out of it.

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:06 pm

I dunno, isn't the best story that can be told simply Naito winning the G1 by beating Tana and finally HEADLINING WK against Okada?

In 2013 Naito won the G1 by beating Tana, failed to get over with the fans, so his match against Okada was voted out of the headlining spot at WK and was replaced with Tana vs Nak.

Now in 2016, for Naito, as arguably the most over guy in the company, to win the G1 once again by beating Tana and ACTUALLY headlining WK against Okada, with all the fan support behind Naito as the top heel of the company? That is the best long term revenge story to be told here.
Last edited by saviorofstrongstyle on Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TranquiloColectionAT

Post by TranquiloColectionAT » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:19 pm

yeah skeach you may be the only one tbh but who knows

I would think it was possible if NJPW hadn't literally spelt out for us that Tana is their Ace and telegraphed that Okada/Tana are having another match this year. If we look at the road map and see where this could potentially be going, the 2 destinations are Tana/Okada at KoPW and then Okada/Naito at Tokyo Dome. So, it's like, figure out the directions to get there.

Would be floored if Kenny beats Naito. Naito is on the cusp of superstardom, and Kenny is a guy who has stumbled since February after they tried to make him the #1 heel and #1 gaijin. They need to go back and re-work his stuff to get that Elite stink off of him before he gets the rocket strapped to him again (or maybe he's just not meant to be and is going to NXT). TBH I don't even know if they go back to Tana/Omega this year. The natural story would've been for Omega to beat Elgin in the G1, beat Elgin for the IC, then do Tana/Omega. But Omega lost to Elgin and Tana is now being positioned as the top guy so IDK if their paths cross again in the immediate future. They could, but I don't think it's a lock.

I wouldn't be worried about getting Naito heat, either. Whatever heel tactics they have are not gonna work because he's gonna be the babyface at Tokyo Dome whether Gedo likes it or not. If Naito beats Tana for the title shot, they will love just as much for it as they would if Naito wins the G1 outright so, like, why not just have Naito win the G1?

Will say that if Tana is meant to win the G1, then Kenny is his obv opponent. I just don't think Tana is meant to win the G1.

skeach101

Post by skeach101 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:23 pm

TranquiloColectionAT wrote:
I wouldn't be worried about getting Naito heat, either. Whatever heel tactics they have are not gonna work because he's gonna be the babyface at Tokyo Dome whether Gedo likes it or not. If Naito beats Tana for the title shot, they will love just as much for it as they would if Naito wins the G1 outright so, like, why not just have Naito win the G1?
Nobody has ever lost the briefcase. I feel like they should do it at least once.

TranquiloColectionAT

Post by TranquiloColectionAT » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:28 am

skeach101 wrote:
TranquiloColectionAT wrote:
Nobody has ever lost the briefcase. I feel like they should do it at least once.
True, but the title shot gimmick hasn't been attached to the G1 for that long. Is this year 4? It's still a relatively young concept. I think there is a much better shot the reigning champ wins before the winner drops the title shot.

I do agree that whenever they do have the guy lose the title shot, Tana is the one who has to drop it. He's one of like two guys who is bullet proof enough to not have it damage him. If they let the wrong guy (like Shibata) drop it then it could cause way more harm than good. You could give the guy who loses it that Goto stink.

Naito is not really much of a heel right now tbh. My mind may be slipping on me and I just don't remember, but has he really attacked refs this G1? Kicking people in the dick? Spit at his opponents? Look around: he's fist bumping kids, preaching to the masses who support LOS, and it's 90% of the NJPW merch in the crowd is LOS. Maybe he has been doing this stuff and I've just become so used to it that I don't even notice anymore; if so disregard this paragraph.

The time to have done the "Naito steals the briefcase" story was last year when Naito was a scumbag, had mucho heel heat, and had not caught fire where the fans turned him babyface. Of course it wasn't gonna happen because it would've meant they'd have to scrap Tana/Okada III. If this were WWE, I could see it happening because that's very WWE booking, but Gedo doesn't usually book like that. Doe sit mean it can't or won't happen? No, anything can happen, just seems like whimsy.

jesse

Post by jesse » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:04 am

TranquiloColectionAT wrote:Naito is not really much of a heel right now tbh. My mind may be slipping on me and I just don't remember, but has he really attacked refs this G1? Kicking people in the dick? Spit at his opponents? Look around: he's fist bumping kids, preaching to the masses who support LOS, and it's 90% of the NJPW merch in the crowd is LOS. Maybe he has been doing this stuff and I've just become so used to it that I don't even notice anymore; if so disregard this paragraph.
If people looked at the things Naito does and actually look at what he says the only thing that makes him a heel is that he speaks his mind. People are spending so much time on what Gedo is trying to tell them instead of just looking at how the fans respond. To them Tanahashi is the Ace and Naito is not a heel. You could make an argument they don't even have a #1 heel right now. Fale maybe?

I feel like every year we have the same thing happen over and over. People try to convince themselves of something odd happening when Gedo just books the most obvious thing.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:24 am

I re-watched Shibata vs Naito and have to say it is my favorite match of the G1 thus far, even more so than Okada vs Ishii.
It just feels like a really special match with a special ending that continued the sort of hatred between the two we saw earlier in the year and will hopefully have implications for what goes down in 2017.

TranquiloColectionAT

Post by TranquiloColectionAT » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:50 am

For all intents and purposes, it looks like Elgin might be out before he even wrestles which is really fucking dumb (CC says it's his home turf, so I see why). Probably still alive for tie breaker purposes, but I don't think they'd do such a convoluted tie +I think Nakajima beats him so NOAH can have the "hooray! our 2 guys beat your 2 top singles champions!"

B Block scenarios still remain the same as we've bantered back and forth over the last week:

Naito: must beat-or-draw Omega
Omega: must beat Naito + EVIL Must beat Shibata + Nakajima must beat Elgin
Shibata: must beat EVIl + Omega must beat Naito + Nakajima must beat Elgin
Elgin: must beat Nakajima + who the fuck knows what else needs to happen

Although it goes against typical Gedo style booking where X comes into last day as underdog and wins the block, it would really make Naito look legit if he walks into the last day in the lead and comes out victorious. Naito is the clear top guy of his group so such dominant booking should be welcomed. But god damn are they making Shibata look like a killer right now. Don't sleep on him winning B Block and losing to Okada (although totally see EVIL spoiling him and it will destroy me because I love them both).

There are 4 legit scenarios and I don't know which way they go, so that's good at least

A) Tana/Naito with Naito winning
B) Okada/Shibata with Okada winning
C) Tana/Omega with Tana winning (eventhough I still disagree with the WWE booking of switching the breifcase)
D) Marufuji/Naito with Naito winning

Tech there are more than just these 4, but I think these are the most realistic ones. I'll guess A or D. This is Naito's G1 and he needs to be legitimized above all else.
Last edited by TranquiloColectionAT on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:37 pm

jesse wrote: If people looked at the things Naito does and actually look at what he says the only thing that makes him a heel is that he speaks his mind. People are spending so much time on what Gedo is trying to tell them instead of just looking at how the fans respond. To them Tanahashi is the Ace and Naito is not a heel. You could make an argument they don't even have a #1 heel right now. Fale maybe?

I feel like every year we have the same thing happen over and over. People try to convince themselves of something odd happening when Gedo just books the most obvious thing.
Very well put. I agree completely, Gedo chooses the safe option 99 times out of 100. This briefcase thing isn't impossible, but it's silly, and it only "makes sense" using a form of logic that Gedo never uses when making booking decisions.

jesse

Post by jesse » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:39 pm

The thing is if Tanahashi wins he would have to defend his case against Tama, Fale and SANADA. How do you even get to Naito getting a shot at Tanahashi to win it? They were in total opposite blocks and haven't and any interaction for about a year now.

I just really think they should have Naito win. I'd have him beat Tanahashi not with the Destino but with the Stardust Press. Give a tease that he'll still use his old finisher to win and Okada's countered the Destino before anyway. It would also establish that Naito can win and dominate a field just fine on his own. It's been pointed out already that we haven't seen the low blows or LiJ run out for any of his matches. He's been going over clean as a whistle. Just have Naito beat the shit out of everyone until WK and then whatever happens happens in the main event.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

skeach101

Post by skeach101 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:44 pm

jesse wrote:The thing is if Tanahashi wins he would have to defend his case against Tama, Fale and SANADA. How do you even get to Naito getting a shot at Tanahashi to win it? They were in total opposite blocks and haven't and any interaction for about a year now.
I actually laid out a scenario how you get to that above.

However... I'm starting to hope for Okada beating Shibata in the finals. Those two have been kept far apart.

TranquiloColectionAT

Post by TranquiloColectionAT » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:48 pm

jesse wrote:The thing is if Tanahashi wins he would have to defend his case against Tama, Fale and SANADA. How do you even get to Naito getting a shot at Tanahashi to win it? They were in total opposite blocks and haven't and any interaction for about a year now.

I just really think they should have Naito win. I'd have him beat Tanahashi not with the Destino but with the Stardust Press. Give a tease that he'll still use his old finisher to win and Okada's countered the Destino before anyway. It would also establish that Naito can win and dominate a field just fine on his own. It's been pointed out already that we haven't seen the low blows or LiJ run out for any of his matches. He's been going over clean as a whistle. Just have Naito beat the shit out of everyone until WK and then whatever happens happens in the main event.
Totally agree.

What skeach proposed made sense in theory:

Tana defends the title shot at the first Destruction show against SANADA, then he has to work LOS in a tag match on the next Destruction show with Naito pinning him, then Naito would challenge and beat Tana at KoPW. So basically a lot of fantasy booking has to happen. Also, Tama/Fale get fucked (not that important tbh) and Tana never gets his wins back (that, however, is important).

Agreed that the better solution is for Naito to just flatout win. I've read some have concerns Okada/Naito may not be big enough for the Dome main. So let's build Naito some more, and what better way to build him than to win the G1 and win his block outright in impressive fasion. He could then beat Nagata and Shibata in a briefcase defense (although they could hold off on the next Shibata/Naito match until after the Dome. They can get away with this because Shibata could be busy defending the NEVER). Last time Naito won he was utterly fucked because fresh out of the G1 they booked him against Tanaka and Yujiro to try and get him hot. Not this year.
Last edited by TranquiloColectionAT on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.