2016 G1 Climax

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Post Reply
User avatar
Shining Wiz
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:32 pm
Contact:

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by Shining Wiz » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:00 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Heather wrote:More of a general question, is the booking already worked out as to who is going to win this all in the end and how? Or does Gedo go in with a strong outline and the ability to edit on the fly? With so many matches and so many points I would think there's more than one way to skin a cat, so there could be several different approaches that ultimately wind up at the same endpoint. This one is just so hard to predict...
It's all booked out ahead of time, which is why injuries are such a major headache.

What's interesting is that from what we were told by someone who has participated in several is that the wrestlers have no clue on their direction or who is booked out to win it, and show up each night blind as to whether they are winning or losing. Now, it's entirely possible that the eventual winner is clued in on his direction, but from what this dude told us, he would show up, be given a finish for that night, and things would play out for him just as it does us.

Unless you're the guy on the losing streak and you have an ego about it, that's got to be a lot of fun for the competitors.

User avatar
Headlock
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:26 pm
Location: Germany

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by Headlock » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:23 pm

I was sreally surprised that Joe and Rich don't gave Marufuji more chance to win the block. For me he was id the clear winner, cause if Naomichi makes it all the way to the finals while also having great matches, might make some people turb their eye to noah, besides Marufuji vs Naito would be a completely fresh match
Call me leon

User avatar
jesse
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:47 am
Location: usa
Contact:

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by jesse » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:48 pm

He'll beat Okada to set up a match for Destruction or KoPW and he'll finish high but Marufuji isn't winning the block. Not when Okada and Tanahashi are in it.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

User avatar
pol
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:50 am

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by pol » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:41 pm

I was more surprised they thought Okada saying he wants to win the G1 as champion makes it any more likely he might win when he said the exact same thing last year.

User avatar
ssindelman
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:12 pm

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by ssindelman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:54 pm

Just heard ALL of the G1 shows will be multi-camera shoots vs a lot of the single hard cam broadcasts of old. They still won't have commentary for a lot of them but hey, the multi-angle is a plus.

User avatar
Garuda
Posts: 776
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:15 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by Garuda » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:20 pm

pol wrote:I was more surprised they thought Okada saying he wants to win the G1 as champion makes it any more likely he might win when he said the exact same thing last year.
Yeah I kind of think people are going too conspiracy theory with their "everything means something in NJPW" talk. Okada's the champ and he says he's going to win the whole thing. He's not going to say he'll lose. I guess he could've said nothing, but that'd be weirder.

It's just him boasting. Or maybe they'd just like to tease the idea in the fans and feign at it with the booking. It's not impossible, but people are grabbing on it too tight.

Plus I don't think this year of all years is the one where they'd waste a chance to make a clear Tokyo Dome opponent through the G1. Is 2016 really the year where they're not going to use all the structures they have in place to give the WK11 main event huge? I don't see how "shaking it up" would be better then them just making a challenger in the traditional way.

User avatar
itsberlo
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 1:23 pm
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by itsberlo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:30 pm

There is one thing that I have not heard mentioned yet and that is no one has won the New Japan Cup and the G1 Climax in the same year. Could Naito be the first to do it? Something to think about.

User avatar
pol
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:50 am

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by pol » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:13 am

Garuda wrote:
pol wrote:I was more surprised they thought Okada saying he wants to win the G1 as champion makes it any more likely he might win when he said the exact same thing last year.
Yeah I kind of think people are going too conspiracy theory with their "everything means something in NJPW" talk.
Honestly what's said in promos leads nowhere far, far more often than it leads to something. Like 99% of the time. Remember Goto wanting to unify the IC and HW titles?

User avatar
Alan4L
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:15 pm

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by Alan4L » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:49 am

ssindelman wrote:Just heard ALL of the G1 shows will be multi-camera shoots vs a lot of the single hard cam broadcasts of old. They still won't have commentary for a lot of them but hey, the multi-angle is a plus.
Awesome news!

User avatar
wac
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:54 pm

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by wac » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:24 pm

ssindelman wrote:Just heard ALL of the G1 shows will be multi-camera shoots vs a lot of the single hard cam broadcasts of old. They still won't have commentary for a lot of them but hey, the multi-angle is a plus.
Awesome news. The single cam bothers me way more than the lack of commentary.

User avatar
dylanjstx
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:50 pm
Contact:

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by dylanjstx » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:47 pm

Tama Tonga cut another killer promo at the G1 presser. Hoping he does well after the awful run he's had these past few months. Seems super motivated. Pulling for the guy.

User avatar
Buzz Sawyer
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:17 pm

Really think Tama could be a good singles wrestler if they let him.
Who's Rob Viper ?

User avatar
Jacob's Bawks
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:16 pm

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:01 am

dylanjstx wrote:Tama Tonga cut another killer promo at the G1 presser. Hoping he does well after the awful run he's had these past few months. Seems super motivated. Pulling for the guy.
I think Tonga will be one of the jobbers in his block. It's a star-studded block and quite frankly he sticks out like a sore thumb. I predict him getting six points, but if he does well like Ishii did in 2013 he'll get a rocket strapped to his ass afterwards like... well, Ishii.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

User avatar
dylanjstx
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:50 pm
Contact:

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by dylanjstx » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:04 am

Jacob's Bawks wrote:
dylanjstx wrote:Tama Tonga cut another killer promo at the G1 presser. Hoping he does well after the awful run he's had these past few months. Seems super motivated. Pulling for the guy.
I think Tonga will be one of the jobbers in his block. It's a star-studded block and quite frankly he sticks out like a sore thumb. I predict him getting six points, but if he does well like Ishii did in 2013 he'll get a rocket strapped to his ass afterwards like... well, Ishii.
I meant pulling for him as in I hope he performs well, haha. He's to the A Block what YOSHI-HASHI is to the B Block. Will be surprised if he gets more than one win.

User avatar
EvanDeadlySins
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:30 pm
Location: Long Island, NY
Contact:

Re: 2016 G1 Climax

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:21 pm

Meltzer said that there was English commentary for the opening night of the G1, but NJPW hasn't said anything and the ROH guys are in the U.S. What's going on?

Post Reply