2016 G1 Climax

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

2016 G1 Climax

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:13 pm

BLOCK A:
Makabe
Kojima
Ishii
Goto
Fale
Tama Tonga
SANADA
Marufuji
Okada
Tanahashi

BLOCK B:
Shibata
Nagata
Honma
Elgin
Yano
Naito
EVIL
Omega
Nakajima
YOSHI-HASHI

DETROIT_KEJB

Re: 2016 Grade One Climax

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Nakajima-Shibata... Jesus.

wac

Post by wac » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:10 pm

* July 18: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Sanada, Okada vs. Marufuji
* July 22: Nagata vs. Naito, Shibata vs. Honma

* July 23: Tanahashi vs. Makabe, Okada vs. Sanada
* July 24: Nakajima vs. Shibata, Honma vs. Yoshi-Hashi
* July 25: Makabe vs. Sanada, Okada vs. Goto
* July 27: Yano vs. Naito, Shibata vs. Elgin
* July 28: Ishii vs. Marufuji, Goto vs. Sanada
* July 30: Omega vs. Elgin, Shibata vs. Naito

* July 31: Makabe vs. Marufuji, Tanahashi vs. Goto
* August 1: Yoshi Hashi vs. Nakajima, Honma vs. Naito
* August 3: Tanahashi vs. Ishii
, Makabe vs. Okada
* August 4: Nakajima vs. Naito, Shibata vs. Omega
* August 6: Tanahashi vs. Marufuji, Okada vs. Ishii

* August 7: Omega vs. Nagata, Naito vs. Evil
* August 8: Ishii vs. Sanada, Tanahashi vs. Kojima
* August 10: Honma vs. Elgin, Shibata vs. Nagata
* August 12: Goto vs. Marufuji, Tanahashi vs. Okada
* August 13: Shibata vs. Evil, Naito vs. Omega

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:47 pm

How did he do this? I just don't know. How am I so hyped for this G1? I remember when I heard that 4 great guys had gone : Styles, Ibushi, Nakamura and Anderson. Gallows also left.
I thought, that's it. This G1 is going to be an uninteresting tournament of great matches with a lot of guys that'll have to be carried like Tenzan, Yujiro, YoshiTatsu , Yano, Fale. But, this raid of their talent has created the freshest G1 we've had since G1 23. Gedo is great. I know, Naito winning is predictable. But, I think he will have an amazing tournament and when it's all said and done we will be hyped for Naito x Okada at the Dome.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:06 pm

Naito beating Omega of all people in Sumo Hall on the eve of the final would be very interesting wouldn't it? Would certainly make me think they're embracing Naito's popularity. I see him being a full on fan fave after winning G1 and then marching on to the Dome.

I think they might do Naito vs Okada as the final too.

abrasiveobelisksa

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:08 pm

I see Tanahashi over Okada (w/ Goto spoiling Marufuji), and Naito over Omega (w/ EVIL spoiling Shibata) to lead to the final night.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:13 pm

Block A has a number of block-winner threats, like Ishii/Goto/SANADA, and maybe even Marufuji. The only G1-winner threats are Tanahashi and Okada, and it's hard for me to see either. No way they skip the chance to have an opponent build to WK11 by having Okada win, and Tanahashi... maybe they feel forced to do Tanahasi/Okada again, but I can't see it happening for the third year in a row after the feud ended. I feel like it has to be new blood, and maybe Tanahashi takes on Elgin, or even Shibata for the NEVER at WK11, to revive an old feud for Shibata's push. In any case, I'd say Tanahashi wins the block and loses to the winner.

For Block B I'm seeing Omega, Shibata, and Naito. In fact, I could see all three of those winning the G1, although I really don't think they're pulling the trigger on Shibata this year. And Omega would have to enjoy some image rehabbing in the G1, which absolutely is on the table. Naito still seems the favorite.

Anyways, this is all great news. There's a lot of hunger in this tournament's competitors, so I'm really looking forward to this.

JML

Post by JML » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:23 pm

Since he's in the tournament, can anyone explain to me why they hate Naomichi Marufuji?

When people say that they don't like his offense, those same people hate Muto, Tanashashi, Naito before he was Ingobernables and some extent Kaz Hayashi.

Is that they labeled as Wizards or Geniuses in Japan as nicknames so when people see them, they just rip them apart?

I personally enjoy all of those guys. I just want to know why there is so much hate with him?

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:32 pm

JML wrote:Since he's in the tournament, can anyone explain to me why they hate Naomichi Marufuji?

When people say that they don't like his offense, those same people hate Muto, Tanashashi, Naito before he was Ingobernables and some extent Kaz Hayashi.

Is that they labeled as Wizards or Geniuses in Japan as nicknames so when people see them, they just rip them apart?

I personally enjoy all of those guys. I just want to know why there is so much hate with him?
Marufuji's post 2010 offence is contrived on a whole other level compared to those other guys. Some of it is so silly and just doesn't look good. He also just looks like he doesn't care out there - zero fire. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing him in this and am going with an optimistic outlook. I think he'll get fired up for a couple of big matches. He's always brought it against NJPW guys.

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:47 pm

I think we are getting Okada vs Naito at the Dome. If that is headlining the dome, I can't see them also having that be the G1 Climax final.
It seems to me we will have maybe Naito/Omega/Shibata all in the running for the B Block with Evil spoiling Shibata on the last night, also setting up Shibata vs Evil for the NEVER at the Dome (If Shibata still has the NEVER), and Naito beating Omega to go onto the final most likely against Tanahashi. I can't see anyone else from the A Block going into the final against Naito with a storyline that makes sense other than Tanahashi. I don't think they'll do a Naito vs Okada final and Naito vs Okada headlining the dome. Naito of all people beating Tanahashi of all people in the G1 Climax final, then going on to face Okada at the dome is a great story possible here. Anyway, just my fantasy booking.

Regardless, I am pumped for this. I am pumped for every single one of those Shibata matches. Jesus. I think Shibata vs Nakajima is going to be incredible.

I hope Tanahashi's body can hold up. He would be greatly missed from this.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:24 pm

What happened to Kushida in the G1 being a thing?

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:40 pm

DETROIT_KEJB wrote:What happened to Kushida in the G1 being a thing?
My best guess is that he's out due to the Super J Cup running dates around the G1 and him being the favorite to win.

pol

Post by pol » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:24 pm

He is?

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:34 pm

Either Okada beats Omega/Shibata in the finals, or Naito beats Tana in the finals. Not sure which way I'm going yet

LeeJM713

Post by LeeJM713 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:51 pm

Is it possible that this is the year the winner of G1 loses the case? Say Shibata wins G1 but Naito beats him with help from LIJ (probably EVIL) for the case leading to Naito/Okada and Shibata/EVIL at the Dome. Then when Naito beats Okada at the Dome and again at Invasion Attack there is a ready made story with Shibata chasing Naito leading up to WK 12 if they wanna really build it up.