Effect Of Brexit On Graps

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
ayaashm

Effect Of Brexit On Graps

Post by ayaashm » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:29 am

I wanted to know what sort of effect Brexit will have on wrestling in UK and Europe.How it will impact those travelling to or from EU to other places? What overall effect will it have on independent wrestling?
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

suplexberry

Re: Effect Of Brexit On Graps

Post by suplexberry » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:44 am

I'd assume it will have an effect on the bookings of non-British EU guys, such as folks from Austria, Germany, the Netherlands, Italy and Republic of Ireland. They will need work permits now, as opposed to just getting hired and traveling and working freely within EU borders. A lot of British companies will probably be hesitant to push them long-term, or book them regularly since it'll be more costs, more paperwork and so on. However, I think Brexit is going to take a few years to kick in, and Britain can negotiate different kinds of agreements between individual EU countries, which may benefit the citizens of those countries.

Will probably also affect the UK guys being able to go to Germany, Italy, Sweden, wherever the heck and wrestle a show or two. I don't really know enough about geopolitics of Europe to figure out which countries will open up agreements with the UK where their relations could be about as open as within EU, but there might be some of those countries (guessing the richer ones, France, Germany, maybe?). Some people have speculated life will change very little for those in the better off EU countries wanting to work, study or travel to the UK, but people from Eastern Europe are more shit out of luck.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:53 am

According to Twitter, Brexit is the end of western civilization as we know it, so since we'll all soon be dead or under the rule of fascist overlords very shortly, I expect this to be bad for pro graps.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:33 pm

Thought of another aspect: the schools. There is a huge benefit for any young upstart in Sweden or Italy or wherever the fuck to save up and go train in the UK. I'd be willing to bet that there are decent wrestling schools in other places in Europe, too, but I think there's a reason why the best talent from Europe has either worked or trained in UK places. Some UK promotions also have significant ties to the US and Japan, which are really the two ways to really make a name for yourself in the world of wrestling.

Tommy End is headed to Florida at precisely the right time, is all I'm saying.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:18 pm

Another issue is the inevitable recession that is going to hit Britain now. Things like wrestling are probably first on the chopping block for a lot of guys once the money gets a bit tighter. This is really bad for the British wrestling scene which has been stronger than ever I would say.

A whole other issue is Scotland leaving the UK now and what that means for ICW.
It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:34 pm

van Fair wrote:Another issue is the inevitable recession that is going to hit Britain now. Things like wrestling are probably first on the chopping block for a lot of guys once the money gets a bit tighter. This is really bad for the British wrestling scene which has been stronger than ever I would say.

A whole other issue is Scotland leaving the UK now and what that means for ICW.

Wait, is Scotland going to leave UK? If so, how long till the referendum? What I mean is, the process to get this through, how long will it take?
Well, this is what happens when people listen to guys like Boris Johnson and UKIP. Heard elections will take place in October, who are the leading candidates right now?
Lanza is a geek.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:36 pm

suplexberry wrote:Thought of another aspect: the schools. There is a huge benefit for any young upstart in Sweden or Italy or wherever the fuck to save up and go train in the UK. I'd be willing to bet that there are decent wrestling schools in other places in Europe, too, but I think there's a reason why the best talent from Europe has either worked or trained in UK places. Some UK promotions also have significant ties to the US and Japan, which are really the two ways to really make a name for yourself in the world of wrestling.

Tommy End is headed to Florida at precisely the right time, is all I'm saying.

That is a great point. The Progress School for example gets guys from all over Europe.I imagine diversity will now be reduced and best you'd hope for if you're in eastern europe is wXw (actually, not sure if they have a school)
Lanza is a geek.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:48 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:According to Twitter, Brexit is the end of western civilization as we know it, so since we'll all soon be dead or under the rule of fascist overlords very shortly, I expect this to be bad for pro graps.
And I, for one, welcome out new fascist ovelords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted podcast personality I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their corporate offices.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:52 pm

I feel like this is probably gonna kill the British scene as it is now. Less European talents coming in and less British talents heading to Europe, plus a possible recession means less money to spend on wrestling/book wrestling. Anyone currently a big star in Britain might well be served to see if they can take up more gigs in America with the pound dropping.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:22 pm

I think this sums it up pretty nicely to those who do not know what is going on,

It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:27 pm

van Fair wrote:I think this sums it up pretty nicely to those who do not know what is going on,

HA, great summary.

It's really sad to see how all this Brexit stuff has played out, and it would be a tragic "what if" if the European wrestling scene was seriously damaged during its breakout year.

I think the last thing people want is a political discussion on a wrestling forum, but let the Brexit stand as a cautionary tale of what happens when people don't get off their asses and fucking vote, even if "their" choice isn't their ideal political option.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:49 pm

Overall I think things are overblown. The "inevitable recession" is far from inevitable, and likely way over exaggerated. There's likely to be a short term shock that you get with any large change followed by a period of stabilization. I honestly don't think Brexit will hurt BritWres much at all, aside from maybe Big Daddy Walter not showing up anymore/not as regularly.

Honestly the company this will hurt the most is wXw, because wXw have a far higher reliance on British wrestlers than British companies do on European stars. They'll either have to shell out for working visas or stop using them.

It's also very important to note that this isn't happening now, we've just had the vote. It's almost certain to be a slow and gradual separation over the next two years.

However, the thing that really could effect BritWres is that Brexit will likely trigger another Scottish Independence Referendum (Scotland voted to Remain alongside London, Northern Ireland and most Southern, Midlands and North Western cities but were outweighed by Wales, the North East and Rural England) and my gut tells me Scotland will vote to leave after this clear example of a difference of interest. This would potentially have a far greater impact on BritWres as we know it, but that's all probably half a decade down the line before the repercussions really start showing up.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:08 pm

Robareid wrote:Overall I think things are overblown. The "inevitable recession" is far from inevitable, and likely way over exaggerated. There's likely to be a short term shock that you get with any large change followed by a period of stabilization.
DISCLAIMER: I know nothing about British politics and am not pretending to. The following statement simply relates to what is quoted and how it ties to social media.

Social media in general is dominated by liberals, and quite frankly, liberals do social media better. This vote went against them, so the social media meltdown was inevitable, and I suspect the reactions are a overblown and filled with a mix of disappointment, anger, anxiety, and exaggeration for effect, just because that's how social media works. Watching it in real time as a complete outsider, you would think the free world is coming to an end shortly.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:17 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Robareid wrote:Overall I think things are overblown. The "inevitable recession" is far from inevitable, and likely way over exaggerated. There's likely to be a short term shock that you get with any large change followed by a period of stabilization.
DISCLAIMER: I know nothing about British politics and am not pretending to. The following statement simply relates to what is quoted and how it ties to social media.

Social media in general is dominated by liberals, and quite frankly, liberals do social media better. This vote went against them, so the social media meltdown was inevitable, and I suspect the reactions are a overblown and filled with a mix of disappointment, anger, anxiety, and exaggeration for effect, just because that's how social media works. Watching it in real time as a complete outsider, you would think the free world is coming to an end shortly.

Well that's all true. Twitter isn't the place to go for proportionate responses to politics. It's no surprise that coverage of anything on Twitter past a certain threshold only has two knob settings: "Off" and "Meltdown." But that isn't to say that just because many effects will be over the long-term that people shouldn't have a passionate response in the short-term. And I don't mean to imply that you're saying that either.

My point is that yeah: The sun rose today and Twitter overreacted. There's only so much surprise one can have.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:04 pm

The biggest thing that probably contributed to this was that the Remain campaign looked set to win, but the North East did a last minute heel turn and Scotland had a low turnout and things unexpectedly swung. Had people expected the UK to leave then I don't think the reaction would have been close to as vocal. I am as guilty as that as anybody, I stayed up till 6am and anybody following my twitter would have seen a tirade of shocked tweets, when in reality my base stance should have meant I didn't care that much.

Without going into politics too much, when not watching wrestling I'm an economist and I almost exclusively form my views from an economic perspective because that's kind of just the way I view the world. The way I see it, both sides were completely over-exaggerating in their campaigning. I really don't think either outcome would spell economic doom. On one hand free trade is inherently beneficial overall, but on the other monetary and political union without fiscal union is a long term recipe for disaster if you're not an optimal currency area (which the EU very clearly isn't).

My view always was that the status quo is the safe option, although long-run it could lead to problems unless there's big changes to the EU system, while leaving would likely be a short term negative of small magnitude with the potential for a long-run benefit but there's a lot of uncertainty around that as there is with almost any long-run economic prediction, especially when you're having to predict future political movements. However, now is not a particularly good time to leave due to the ongoing TTIP negotiations.

Overall I leant slightly towards the Remain camp, partly because of timing, partly because uncertainty is no fun and partly because in the long-run we're all dead. But I didn't think either result would be disastrous. My biggest problem was that a lot of the Leave campaign was built on the back of xenophobia, racism and the "they took our jobs and steal our benefits" mentality when studies consistently show otherwise (created as many jobs as they've taken, are net contributors...). I don't necessarily have a problem with the result, but the reasons behind it disgust me.

Now getting back to the graps, because I did have a point here at one point: I really don't think it'll cause a large scale recession that will noticeably affect BritWres. As stated, I always (and this isn't just me going out on a limb on this, it's widely accepted on both sides) that there'd be a short-term shock to the economy if Leave won, both after the result and after we eventually leave (likely in around two years), and that this shock was made worse because the markets in general were not expecting the outcome that occurred. I lost a lot of money yesterday as many of my UK investments plummeted in value due to the panic. I fully expect them to recover, at least partially, over the coming weeks because for the most part, at their core, the businesses won't be terminally affected. I don't expect this to lead to a downturn that will case people to noticeably cut-back on the graps, and I REALLY don't think that this will "kill the British scene as it is now". The pound will almost certainly recover somewhat over the next few days too. The sky is not falling.

The promotion who should be most worried now that I think about it is probably OTT, but hopefully over the next two years they'll be able to build up enough domestic stars that this won't hurt them too much.