Australian Indy Wrestling - Home of TMDK

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Danga

Re: Australian Indy Wrestling - Home of TMDK

Post by Danga » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:42 pm

KLC wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:41 am
Was my first MCW live show with Ballroom Brawl. Really enjoyed it, MCW's production live is next level compared to what I'm used to. Thought that Lochy Hendricks vs Danny Psycho was MOTN (great WWE style/sports entertainment drama); on workrate level could see people preferring Slex vs Moody or the opening tag. Pop for Brooksy's return was ginormous.

I tolerated the Aunty Donna stuff (their opening promo was fine, LUX's vignette was much funnier than any of the sketches they did)
Hadn't heard of Aunty Donna. And they didn't really make a big impression. They had fun with it I guess but overall didn't bring much to the show in my view.

Outside of that very enjoyable show. Felt the Locky Hendricks control portion of the match with Psycho was a but far fetched - Danny is just a beast and I didn't think the setup for him being on the receiving end was enough. That aside, fun match and good end to the tourney. Slex V Moody had the tough post intermission spot. Good match but I think would've been better with the crowd seated and good to go. The Ballroom Brawl itself had the usual logic flaws (i.e. if your whole team is in the ring, surely you team up, throw everyone out, wait for the next person and repeat until the end), but overall was entertaining. Some good things setup for August show though so far. Jake Andrewartha needs a new finisher. The standing hug/choke looks awful. For a big guy, he just isn't intimidating at all and his new manager doesn't really add anything. At least Julian James could talk and got a response. Would rather see him as a big happy good guy.

Wrestlerock was another fairly fun show Friday night. Wahlberg V Taylor probably my favorite of the night. Had never seen or heard of Emmann the Kid but he was pretty impressiv. Main event (Scarllet V Avary) had a weird end but was fine prior to that. I'm still not into Avary and don't really understand all the love she seems to be geting lately.

KLC

Post by KLC » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:40 am

Danga wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:42 pm
KLC wrote:
Was my first MCW live show with Ballroom Brawl. Really enjoyed it, MCW's production live is next level compared to what I'm used to. Thought that Lochy Hendricks vs Danny Psycho was MOTN (great WWE style/sports entertainment drama); on workrate level could see people preferring Slex vs Moody or the opening tag. Pop for Brooksy's return was ginormous.

I tolerated the Aunty Donna stuff (their opening promo was fine, LUX's vignette was much funnier than any of the sketches they did)
Hadn't heard of Aunty Donna. And they didn't really make a big impression. They had fun with it I guess but overall didn't bring much to the show in my view.

Outside of that very enjoyable show. Felt the Locky Hendricks control portion of the match with Psycho was a but far fetched - Danny is just a beast and I didn't think the setup for him being on the receiving end was enough. That aside, fun match and good end to the tourney. Slex V Moody had the tough post intermission spot. Good match but I think would've been better with the crowd seated and good to go. The Ballroom Brawl itself had the usual logic flaws (i.e. if your whole team is in the ring, surely you team up, throw everyone out, wait for the next person and repeat until the end), but overall was entertaining. Some good things setup for August show though so far. Jake Andrewartha needs a new finisher. The standing hug/choke looks awful. For a big guy, he just isn't intimidating at all and his new manager doesn't really add anything. At least Julian James could talk and got a response. Would rather see him as a big happy good guy.

Wrestlerock was another fairly fun show Friday night. Wahlberg V Taylor probably my favorite of the night. Had never seen or heard of Emmann the Kid but he was pretty impressive. Main event (Scarllet V Avary) had a weird end but was fine prior to that. I'm still not into Avary and don't really understand all the love she seems to be getting lately.
I'll likely write up a proper review of Ballroom Brawl once VOD goes up. Agree re: first half of Brawl being weaker, and it made Disruption look like geeks rather than an actual force.

Re: WrestleRock, I had lots of fun, would agree re: Wahlberg and Taylor being the best match, would like to see them have a main show match as I think they're natural opponents. (think Avary and Scarlett was getting there until the weird finish, don't know if it was just a mistake that they didn't announce it as Falls Count Anywhere. Also guessing that the deal with bring Scarlett in meant that she had to go over. Avary was fine after the match).

I had the column last month where I highlighted some of Avary's best matches (which some of them have been in Underworld or the MCW GIRL shows) and tried to explain why she connects with people. https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2019/ ... -to-avary/

BigAlanPayneFan

Post by BigAlanPayneFan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:48 am

So I've caught up on the OVO channel (which is a must have for Australian wrestling fans) and Headhunter Rig is probably my favourite of those up and coming guys. I still miss Juan Direction though,

There is a lot of talk recently about schools and training being limited to promotions and it is hosting a problem for the perception of Australian wrestling (especially in the Melbourne scene).
PCW has a great group of guys who if were in MCW would be getting talked about like Sam Osborne, Kai Drake, Rig etc. But since no one can see their things it stays under the radar.

Stevie and Tome are teasing a US tour, I would not be surprised if their NJPW dojo stint is actually at the LA dojo.
Indi is having her last indi match next weekend (which leaves the melbourne female scene even more lacking).

30th and 31st of August are a big couple of days however.
PWA, MCW, EPW all have shows and BCW are running a Melb/Syd double header featuring Masashi Takeda, Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock. Should be sick

KLC

Post by KLC » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:48 am

Watched Newy Pro Rumble last week and it was eh. Rumble itself was disappointing considering that I thought last years was one of the better Indy Rumbles I've seen apart from the stupid finish.

I've made my stance clear; restricting your students once they're trained from working or training elsewhere is dumb. I understand if you try and warn students off unsafe/unprofessional shows; but otherwise I think you're setting up talent and promotions to stagnate with that attitude.

Danga

Post by Danga » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:35 pm

KLC wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:40 am
Danga wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:42 pm
KLC wrote:

Wrestlerock was another fairly fun show Friday night. Wahlberg V Taylor probably my favorite of the night. Had never seen or heard of Emmann the Kid but he was pretty impressive. Main event (Scarllet V Avary) had a weird end but was fine prior to that. I'm still not into Avary and don't really understand all the love she seems to be getting lately.
I'll likely write up a proper review of Ballroom Brawl once VOD goes up. Agree re: first half of Brawl being weaker, and it made Disruption look like geeks rather than an actual force.

Re: WrestleRock, I had lots of fun, would agree re: Wahlberg and Taylor being the best match, would like to see them have a main show match as I think they're natural opponents. (think Avary and Scarlett was getting there until the weird finish, don't know if it was just a mistake that they didn't announce it as Falls Count Anywhere. Also guessing that the deal with bring Scarlett in meant that she had to go over. Avary was fine after the match).

I had the column last month where I highlighted some of Avary's best matches (which some of them have been in Underworld or the MCW GIRL shows) and tried to explain why she connects with people. https://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2019/ ... -to-avary/
I read the Avary article when it came out. It was a good article. But it's like we see two different wrestlers :-) I don't deny she has something. I've taken non wrestling fan friends to Brewery Brawl and the last Wrestlerock and she was a favorite of theirs. One of the great things about wrestling is there are things that cater for lots of tastes. PLenty of people obviously like her, which is fine and if she's getting people along to shows and invested in a character, it can only be "best for business"

Checked out the OVO stream of PWA last night. First PWA show (I never managed to find time to watch the free one). Stream worked well for the most part - one drop out about 15 people into the rumble for a minute or two. Otherwise had no issues. Show itself was OK. Felt a bit flat, but maybe it's because I'm not super familiar with a lot of the wrestlers? Enjoyed tag titles and Troy V Diamond the most. More than likely will stream Colosseum in October.

KLC

Post by KLC » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:51 am

https://www.amazon.com/Underworld-Wrest ... 07GJ9WS1Q/

All of Underworld Season 1 is up on Amazon for people with PrimeVideo subscriptions.

I think it's a very much mixed-bag show (as demonstrated in my reviews), and I got more and more sick of their dumb magic storyline as it went on. (I'm not totally averse to that sort of heightened fantasy wrestling, but when the world-building is as shoddy as it is on Underworld it falls flat for me).

Ritchie Taylor vs Slade Mercer on Episode 5 is very good; and I really dug the Avary vs Vixsin match on Episode 6. Also highlights some of the people in Melbourne not working in MCW like Carlo and his students. (Slickback Cash is now working MCW as Kaz Jordan)

BigAlanPayneFan

Post by BigAlanPayneFan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:32 pm

Put up my second list on twitter (this was the first ). Ranking female wrestlers was a lot easier, only had 10 unused compared to the near 100 males. A tag team one will come sometime in the next month (even if half the teams are broken up by then).

It’s using a win/loss championships and promotions “PWI” style. Of course there is bias in which promotions I rank higher and the male list definitely had some misses (Ricky South would be on it now that’s he’s out of SMS, Jackson Kelly has had a lot more single matches than I’ve realized) but it’s a good base list for both current, overlooked and future stars.

KLC

Post by KLC » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:19 pm

Finished New Horizons; holy fuck that Dowie promo at the end.

(Thought show was good overall, but a lot of stuff at least on tape felt good rather than great)

Danga

Post by Danga » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:26 am

KLC wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:19 pm

(Thought show was good overall, but a lot of stuff at least on tape felt good rather than great)
Probably the best promo I've ever seen live. Heat was crazy. But everything he said was right. Looking forward to his heel run! The main event itself was great and even with the finish still just about the best match in MCW this year.

Liked the rest of the show. Wahlber V Psycho was a good opener. Pretty abrupt ending. Hoping Wahlberg is a mainstay (as a heel).

Thought DCT V Ritchie was a fitting end to their program. Just a violent brawl which is what it needed to be. Hadn't seen or heard of DCT prior to MCW, but his run has been excellent. Hopefully he sticks around a bit longer. Not really sure what next for RItchie - they teased a team with him and Mike Burr a while back which could be good (since there are almost no teams).

The tag match was fine but the ending was fairly predictable given the Filips heading off. The whole division really needs build / some direction.

The Disruption were better this month, but they need someone with more credentials to seem a threat. I thought maybe JXT? He's been gone a while and kind of fits the mold - a next big thing, won the Ballroom Brawl, title contender etc. then was gone and could make a case that the Ritchie Taylors etc. took his spot.

I liked that Andrewartha did a throw after the standing hug. It at least looks devastating. There is hope for him yet!

Indi farewell was a bit flat, but the streamers were a nice touch. A shame she's leaving just when there is finally a Womens Championship. Announcement for it got a huge pop. It is long overdue so pretty excited for how it pans out.

October double header should be good (Womens Championship Tournament, Jag, Aussie Open, fallout from Dowie Heel turn) then the November show already has Slex V Brooks rematch announced.

KLC

Post by KLC » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:38 am

Danga wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:26 am
KLC wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:19 pm

Probably the best promo I've ever seen live. Heat was crazy. But everything he said was right. Looking forward to his heel run! The main event itself was great and even with the finish still just about the best match in MCW this year.

Liked the rest of the show. Wahlber V Psycho was a good opener. Pretty abrupt ending. Hoping Wahlberg is a mainstay (as a heel).

Thought DCT V Ritchie was a fitting end to their program. Just a violent brawl which is what it needed to be. Hadn't seen or heard of DCT prior to MCW, but his run has been excellent. Hopefully he sticks around a bit longer. Not really sure what next for RItchie - they teased a team with him and Mike Burr a while back which could be good (since there are almost no teams).

The tag match was fine but the ending was fairly predictable given the Filips heading off. The whole division really needs build / some direction.

The Disruption were better this month, but they need someone with more credentials to seem a threat. I thought maybe JXT? He's been gone a while and kind of fits the mold - a next big thing, won the Ballroom Brawl, title contender etc. then was gone and could make a case that the Ritchie Taylors etc. took his spot.

I liked that Andrewartha did a throw after the standing hug. It at least looks devastating. There is hope for him yet!

Indi farewell was a bit flat, but the streamers were a nice touch. A shame she's leaving just when there is finally a Womens Championship. Announcement for it got a huge pop. It is long overdue so pretty excited for how it pans out.

October double header should be good (Womens Championship Tournament, Jag, Aussie Open, fallout from Dowie Heel turn) then the November show already has Slex V Brooks rematch announced.
Ha, don't know if you read my review on the main page yet or not but we largely have the same views on the show.

I'm not as anti-DCT as some other people in this thread (Hi @Tim_dawg) but he kind of has an Elias/Bray Wyatt thing going for me where I largely switch off when the bell rings. They announced DCT vs Mike Burr again for Anniversary, which feels regressive to me.

We're on the same track re: Disruption. To me there's really two choices who could work in that role, JXT or Carlo Cannon. It's kind of a question of one of them politically being in a place where MCW will book them again. (If I had my way, Disruption would be called The Vicious Pursuers since they were all trained by Carlo).

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:51 pm

Here's the thing about Disruption's gimmick (or how it comes across): They are jobber group who aren't self-aware or in denial that they are a jobber group. And it's the little things that make them geeks: The name change to 'Atlas Whittaker', Emmanuel wearing that 'Hardest Worker in The Room' t-shirt during a match, Atlas growing out his hair & it looks like a mess, Shaun Young initially still wearing TD tights etc.

KLC

Post by KLC » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:35 am

ScorpioCorp wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:51 pm
Here's the thing about Disruption's gimmick (or how it comes across): They are jobber group who aren't self-aware or in denial that they are a jobber group. And it's the little things that make them geeks: The name change to 'Atlas Whittaker', Emmanuel wearing that 'Hardest Worker in The Room' t-shirt during a match, Atlas growing out his hair & it looks like a mess, Shaun Young initially still wearing TD tights etc.
Yep, all of this. They were kind of killed by their weak presentation in the Ballroom Brawl. They had 3/4 of the opening entries and achieved nothing. Emmanuel was a guy who was seen as being a future star pre-his injury; but he was out for so long that you end up with three guys without credibility.

BigAlanPayneFan

Post by BigAlanPayneFan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:23 am

Disruption..yeah, no one takes them seriously. It’s very hard to take them seriously when they look the way they do. Mark Davis injury would be keeping the MCW9 card on notice, he hasn’t officially been ruled out but what they do with Kyle Fletcher would be interesting.
DCT, Ritchie Taylor and Loverboy have been the shining lights in MCW this year (I’d include Avary also).

Speaking of Avary, she just completed her first international tour and that’s pretty swell. Here’s hoping she comes back and wins that MCW women’s title.

Colosseum weekend should be really fun. Not sure how many more singles matches there will be considering how stacked that roster is (and the amount of names missing so far).

Danga

Post by Danga » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:45 pm

BigAlanPayneFan wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:23 am
Disruption..yeah, no one takes them seriously. It’s very hard to take them seriously when they look the way they do. Mark Davis injury would be keeping the MCW9 card on notice, he hasn’t officially been ruled out but what they do with Kyle Fletcher would be interesting.
DCT, Ritchie Taylor and Loverboy have been the shining lights in MCW this year (I’d include Avary also).

Speaking of Avary, she just completed her first international tour and that’s pretty swell. Here’s hoping she comes back and wins that MCW women’s title.

Colosseum weekend should be really fun. Not sure how many more singles matches there will be considering how stacked that roster is (and the amount of names missing so far).
Looks like you were on the money for Mark Davis. Pretty good replacement announced though!
http://melbournecitywrestling.com.au/20 ... -mcw-nine/