Australian Indy Wrestling - Home of TMDK

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
KLC

Re: Australian Indy Wrestling - Home of TMDK

Post by KLC » Wed May 16, 2018 2:56 am

This week has an AWF tour of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide. Jay Lethal is still meant to be doing the shows despite his injury at ROH over the weekend. AWF has been around forever, and still have their booker/promoter TNT as champion (going on 600+ days). Most interesting matches they've booked are Jonah Rock vs Christopher Daniels in Adelaide and CIMA vs Jay Lethal in Melbourne. CIMA, T-Hawk and El Lindaman are on the tour along with a bunch of CIMA's Chinese young boys.

EPW had a show on Saturday night, which sets up Pitt and Slater vs Hayden Zenith and Allyson Cruz for the tag titles at Evolution. Pitt/Slater are also working the Brat Pack this coming Saturday for MCW, which I think might be the start of a run for them in MCW's tag division.

EDIT: WSW just announced Slex vs Marty Scurll for Melbourne on June 23rd. Slex has a good case for having the best year of anyone based in Australia so far.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Thu May 17, 2018 10:23 am

KLC wrote:This week has an AWF tour of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide. Jay Lethal is still meant to be doing the shows despite his injury at ROH over the weekend. AWF has been around forever, and still have their booker/promoter TNT as champion (going on 600+ days). Most interesting matches they've booked are Jonah Rock vs Christopher Daniels in Adelaide and CIMA vs Jay Lethal in Melbourne. CIMA, T-Hawk and El Lindaman are on the tour along with a bunch of CIMA's Chinese young boys.

EPW had a show on Saturday night, which sets up Pitt and Slater vs Hayden Zenith and Allyson Cruz for the tag titles at Evolution. Pitt/Slater are also working the Brat Pack this coming Saturday for MCW, which I think might be the start of a run for them in MCW's tag division.

EDIT: WSW just announced Slex vs Marty Scurll for Melbourne on June 23rd. Slex has a good case for having the best year of anyone based in Australia so far.
Yeah, AWF has been a promotion that nobody has taken seriously for a while & had bad attendance numbers. This is an attempt by them to get more relevant. However, they don't seem to have a good base of talent.

I think Pitt/Slater are making their occasional appearance for MCW, rather than having a run there (I would be happy to proven wrong & I know that KLC has more knowledge about what's happening with the WA guys than me). I know that they made an appearance last year against Bad Luck Fale & Mr Juicy, but they didn't appear in MCW again until now.

As for best year of anyone based in Australia so far, it's either Slex or Robbie Eagles. They are both in red hot form.

KLC

Post by KLC » Thu May 17, 2018 12:31 pm

I say a run because I noticed that Pitt's shoot Facebook account was listed as attending the Facebook events of multiple consecutive MCW shows :ugeek:

Jay Lethal didn't make the AWF show. They drew about 100 people in Sydney for a show with Ryback, Christopher Daniels, CIMA, T-Hawk, El Lindaman and until today Jay Lethal advertised.

KLC

Post by KLC » Mon May 21, 2018 10:54 am

The AWF tour was a disaster, drawing sub-100 crowds every night.

Sounds like MCW was a good show, keen to watch it later. I'm going to NHPW's Global Conflict tournament this weekend. They have Jeff Cobb on the two shows, not particularly enthused by his first night's match (Cobb vs Jarrad Slate vs King Shahil), hoping for a better one for the 2nd night. Also have Madison Eagles and Avary on the card who I'm keen to see.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Mon May 21, 2018 4:29 pm

On July 16th Adam Brooks debuts for The Crash in Tijuana Mexico(which I will be front row for). He teams with Matt Riddle and they are wrestling Daga and The King(no clue who that is).

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Mon May 21, 2018 11:20 pm

Tim_dawg wrote:On July 16th Adam Brooks debuts for The Crash in Tijuana Mexico(which I will be front row for). He teams with Matt Riddle and they are wrestling Daga and The King(no clue who that is).
'The King' is Rey Fenix.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Tue May 22, 2018 2:52 pm

ScorpioCorp wrote:
Tim_dawg wrote:On July 16th Adam Brooks debuts for The Crash in Tijuana Mexico(which I will be front row for). He teams with Matt Riddle and they are wrestling Daga and The King(no clue who that is).
'The King' is Rey Fenix.
Really? That is great news. I've wanted to see Brooks and Fenix in the ring for a while now. Having Lucha experience could really help Brooks development. It's crazy how much he has improved this year.

KLC

Post by KLC » Sat May 26, 2018 1:17 am

https://www.facebook.com/epwperth/posts ... 0796114809

EPW's entire back catalogue is up for free this coming week if anyone is interested.

KLC

Post by KLC » Sun May 27, 2018 2:23 am

Jeff Cobb and Michael Morleone had a really great match last night at NHPW. Live I had it at 4 stars.

Madison Eagles is great; one of the best technical wrestlers in Australia. Saw her guide Lena Kross (who's a Perth rookie who is very green but with lots of potential) to a really strong match in their tournament final. Hope she gets the veteran run in the May Young Classic.

KLC

Post by KLC » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:11 am

Recent thoughts:

Underworld Wrestling from a few weeks ago should be arriving on VOD this week. Got very divergent opinions from people who were there live.

Thought last MCW show was flat outside of The Untouchables vs PDC. Julian Ward and Gavin McGavin at EPW Evolution was very good.

Thought the WSW Ippv was solid; Jonah Rock and Jimmy Havoc had a great brawl (and Abyss and Grimm Basso were there too)

Wish that NHPW could get their tapes out, as Don has been having a really nice run their to compliment his EPW work.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:47 am

KLC wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:11 am
Recent thoughts:

Underworld Wrestling from a few weeks ago should be arriving on VOD this week. Got very divergent opinions from people who were there live.

Thought last MCW show was flat outside of The Untouchables vs PDC. Julian Ward and Gavin McGavin at EPW Evolution was very good.

Thought the WSW Ippv was solid; Jonah Rock and Jimmy Havoc had a great brawl (and Abyss and Grimm Basso were there too)

Wish that NHPW could get their tapes out, as Don has been having a really nice run their to compliment his EPW work.
Underworld Wrestling always felt like a promotion that was going to get conflicting opinions due to them combining a lot of gimmicky elements together (shoot style rules, Lucha Underground vibe, 'floodgates' rule etc). Also, a lot of the matches were apparently very short.

Agree with the thoughts about the MCW & EPW shows. Also watched the recent PWA show with a fun 4 Nations vs VeloCites tag match & a solid Jonah Rock vs Robbie Eagles main event.

KLC

Post by KLC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:20 am

Krackerjack's Night Massacre show from Hobart's Dark Mofo festival is up.

Features Dowie James vs Lochy Hendricks and a Death Match between Gino Gambino and MadDog

https://youtu.be/l3GNdRVtpeA

Danga

Post by Danga » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:33 am

Headed out to Wrestlerock in Melbourne last Friday. I have a bit of a soft spot for it given it was my first introduction to the Aussie scene many years ago so was good to see it back. A fun night - nothing blowaway but Slex V Caveman was probably MOTN. Crowd were into everything and the usual banter from Julian James and Chris Fresh was as non PC as ever (and as expected!). They announced a Wrestlebrunch show prior to the WWE Supershow in October and did an angle to setup a Slex V Dowie match which should be good.

MCW 99 the next night was pretty good also. Both the Ospreay matches are worth watching. Crowd was a bit subdued in the non Ospreay matches, but Gino-JXT & PDC-Brat Pack are worth a look. Setup a lot of things for MCW 100 which is shaping up to be huge next month.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:48 pm

Just watched Kane Khan vs JK Mood TLC match from SPW Southern Rumble in New Zealand. I enjoyed the hell out of this. One problem I have with ladder matches is they often feel like the competitors are just setting up spots. This match was slow and methodical. You could tell their only goal was to hurt each other and win the match. There were some highspots, but they never felt contrived. If you are expecting a crazy spotfest, this match won't be what you are looking for, but for me I enjoyed this more than most recent ladder matches over the past few years.

One minor problem I had with this match is Kane's taunt is he pounds his chest with his fist, and he does that way too much. A little too much playing up to the crowd for my liking.

But as far as these two go, they are the best two wrestlers in the New Zealand scene for sure, and I really hope they tour the US, UK, Japan, or Mexico soon cause the sky is the limit for them and they are too good to just be wrestling in SPW.

KLC

Post by KLC » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Underworld Wrestling episode 1 is up on Amazon Prime now. Largely the same as what was on their PivotShare version but with the swears bleeped out and some fancier graphics.