Australian Indy Wrestling - Home of TMDK

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
JamieOD

Re: Australian Indy Wrestling - Home of TMDK

Post by JamieOD » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:37 pm

There's been comments and promo quotes lately about how he hasn't had a place to call home since he left Progress but I thought that was just standard "this is the place to be" babyface promoting.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:48 pm

JamieOD wrote:There's been comments and promo quotes lately about how he hasn't had a place to call home since he left Progress but I thought that was just standard "this is the place to be" babyface promoting.
Indeed. Ospreay has been talking up the Aus/NZ scene, but I never expected this. I still can't believe it.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:12 pm

Bea spent her teenage years in New Zealand, but is English. I guess Will believes moving to Australia would make it easier to get to his New Japan dates.

KLC

Post by KLC » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:08 am

I was under the impression from social media that this trip was partly about spending time with Bea Priestly's family. Earlier I heard Ospreay talking up the idea of getting Permanent Residency in New Zealand rather than Australia.

Obviously, if Ospreay wants to base himself out of Australia, it would be huge for the Australian scene; as you'd have a legit world-class top star basing himself out of Australia. I'd imagine trips from Australia to Japan are easier than UK to Japan, though trips from Australia to the US are a lot more difficult.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:56 am

observer:

Will Ospreay announced earlier today at a show in Sydney, Australia for the PWA promotion (run by woman star Madison Eagles), after he won their heavyweight championship from Robbie Eagles, that he was moving to Australia in the near future and would be back working for PWA and the other independent promotions in the area. Ospreay said he feels he can help the Australian independent scene grow while the U.K. scene doesn't need him top be there. Ospreay told us later today that he might be moving there as his base, but that is he committed to New Japan and ROH either way

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Will Ospreay is now MCW Intercommonwealth Champion as well.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Also, Jonah Rock is the MCW Champion. He just won it from Mr Juicy.

Takachulo

Post by Takachulo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:13 am

Danwaka wrote:Yeah, I saw your tweets just now. Crazy stuff, but I guess his girlfriend is a Kiwi or something?
Not really, but she lived there for a while and her family may still do.

Interesting that Ospreay is moving to Oz. It makes sense if he is planning to concentrate on NJ and just work limited indie dates. Wonder if Bea will be a Stardom regular?

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:09 am

In other news, Ryback has also won a title in Australia for the Rock n Roll Wrestling promotion in NSW. It has gotten little to no buzz (because he ain't no Will Ospreay).

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:43 pm

In major news, Will Ospreay vs Adam Brooks vs Robbie Eagles & Jonah Rock vs Dowie James should be killer matches for MCW New Horizons.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:57 am

PWA have posted Robbie Eagles vs. Will Ospreay for free!

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:24 am

What's the scoop on the NZ promotion Ospreay buried on Facebook today? Do they run decent shows? Did they have a rep for being shady?

AJR

Post by AJR » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:51 am

Yes. And yes.

I know that's vague, but I'm not part of the NZ scene and I don't really know if it's my place to talk about it. Let's just say I'm not surprised this thing blew up.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Don't know much about it either. All I know is that the promoter made himself look like an idiot when he responded to Ospreay with his Facebook video. Stupid move.

KLC

Post by KLC » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:28 am

Edge says he was sent the Ospreay/Eagles match at the start of the interview with Daniel Bryan on their podcast. They talk a bit about Ospreay wanting to build up Australia and independent wrestling being global now.

Still need to make my way through the Ospreay/Eagles match. One thing that hurt it for me was the production values/sound micing of the ring. When I was watching the video, it was difficult to hear the sounds being made in the ring. First time I've really noticed how important that is to selling the verisimilitude of the match.