Australian Indy Wrestling - Home of TMDK

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
KLC

Re: Australian Indy Wrestling - Home of TMDK

Post by KLC » Wed May 29, 2019 6:41 pm

Finally finished the latest MCW Thornbury show; thought it was their weakest of the year (and mostly not because of the radio newsreader in the main event)! Almost tempted to write a review just to prove that I'm not a MCW shill. Just didn't think most of the matches delivered and there wasn't anything to really pick up the slack from the main event being a celebrity gimmick match. (Ritchie vs Kane Khan was solid enough; thought that Avary vs SDL was pretty solid as well).

Thought that the Parea were disappointing, almost all shtick (which on tape doesn't really sound like it got over). Considering the way they (and others) hyped them up; thought that it was a disappointing outing especially in comparison to the Street Gang Hooligans on the last MCW Thornbury show.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:56 pm

PWA has been added to GRAPPL

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:10 am

KLC wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:41 pm
Finally finished the latest MCW Thornbury show; thought it was their weakest of the year (and mostly not because of the radio newsreader in the main event)! Almost tempted to write a review just to prove that I'm not a MCW shill. Just didn't think most of the matches delivered and there wasn't anything to really pick up the slack from the main event being a celebrity gimmick match. (Ritchie vs Kane Khan was solid enough; thought that Avary vs SDL was pretty solid as well).

Thought that the Parea were disappointing, almost all shtick (which on tape doesn't really sound like it got over). Considering the way they (and others) hyped them up; thought that it was a disappointing outing especially in comparison to the Street Gang Hooligans on the last MCW Thornbury show.
MCW has not been good the past few shows. They need to find some young talent somewhere. Losing Tyson Baxter hurts them a lot, as he and Jett were really getting over at the beginning of the year.

Sydney is loaded with young talent, but there just isn't much in Melbourne. After a slow start for PWA, they are surpassing MCW quality wise, which I predicted in the year end review. PWA just has better workers.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:12 am

The other thing about PWA is they have Mick Moretti, who has been on fucking fire this year.

Danga

Post by Danga » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:43 am

MCW has definitely been down the last couple of shows. Some of the newer guys have been great (Street Gang Hooligans, Ritchie Taylor, Matty Wahlberg, Jessica Troy, Steph Delander). Others have been fairly underwhelming (The Parea mainly). A lot of the bigger/ more established names have been missing across the shows too (Slex, Dowie, Brooksy, Robbie, Gino). Hopefully things turn around at Ballroom Brawl.

I've never watched a PWA show. Where's a good place to jump in?

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:19 am

Danga wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:43 am
MCW has definitely been down the last couple of shows. Some of the newer guys have been great (Street Gang Hooligans, Ritchie Taylor, Matty Wahlberg, Jessica Troy, Steph Delander). Others have been fairly underwhelming (The Parea mainly). A lot of the bigger/ more established names have been missing across the shows too (Slex, Dowie, Brooksy, Robbie, Gino). Hopefully things turn around at Ballroom Brawl.

Watching their first show of the year is a good place to start & it's free on YouTube. Really fun stuff.

KLC

Post by KLC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:00 am

My running list of personal 4+ star matches in Australia (I'm an easy marker)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1klq ... sp=sharing

(haven't watched latest PWA or MCW yet though)

Danga

Post by Danga » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:51 am

ScorpioCorp wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:19 am
Danga wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:43 am

Watching their first show of the year is a good place to start & it's free on YouTube. Really fun stuff.

Thanks. I'll give it a look.
KLC wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:00 am
My running list of personal 4+ star matches in Australia (I'm an easy marker)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1klq ... sp=sharing

(haven't watched latest PWA or MCW yet though)
Nice list! I currently only really follow MCW locally and liked the following which aren't on your list;
- Brat Pack V Jett and Jordan (Brewery Brawl)
- Kelly Anne V Millie McKenzie (Fallout)
- Brat Pack V Natural Calssics (Tensions Rising)

For me Brat Pack have been MVP this year (on every show, good to great matches most times)

themib

Post by themib » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Tim_dawg wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:12 am
The other thing about PWA is they have Mick Moretti, who has been on fucking fire this year.
Saw the match he had with Tommy Knight at last week's PWA show, incredible contrast of styles, and he really helped Knight get over.

That show is really good, from a hot opener with Robbie Eagles and Michael Spencer, the number one contenders tag with the VeloCities and SMS, and a well presented main event between Shazza McKenzie and Jessica Troy. OVO is a very neat app, all I need from it is the ability to cast to TV.

Danga

Post by Danga » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:29 am

Anyone check out WSW in Melbourne this weekend? I found night one a little disappointing. One of my main gripes with WSW is the interchangeable roster. It typically means there is no build for any of the matches and because we have international stars, everyone gets cheered (except Austin Aries) which takes away some of the dynamic / emotional investment. Main event (Villain Enterprises V Flippin' Machines) was good (had a backstory with Flip and Marty, had some psychology in the match itself and all played out well), everything else was fine. I thought Natural Classics got almost no time to shine V Lucha Bros which was a shame because they are so talented.

Night two was a lot better. All the title matches delivered with Indi V Jordan and Marty V Robbie being my top picks for the night. Tag titles was chaotic and a lot of fun. Slex V Janela was a nice opener (I'm not particularly familiar with Janela but he seeded fine). Joey V Syd was a slightly different spin on the usual Joey Ryan match.

KLC

Post by KLC » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:00 am

Danga wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:29 am
Anyone check out WSW in Melbourne this weekend? I found night one a little disappointing. One of my main gripes with WSW is the interchangeable roster. It typically means there is no build for any of the matches and because we have international stars, everyone gets cheered (except Austin Aries) which takes away some of the dynamic / emotional investment. Main event (Villain Enterprises V Flippin' Machines) was good (had a backstory with Flip and Marty, had some psychology in the match itself and all played out well), everything else was fine. I thought Natural Classics got almost no time to shine V Lucha Bros which was a shame because they are so talented.

Night two was a lot better. All the title matches delivered with Indi V Jordan and Marty V Robbie being my top picks for the night. Tag titles was chaotic and a lot of fun. Slex V Janela was a nice opener (I'm not particularly familiar with Janela but he seeded fine). Joey V Syd was a slightly different spin on the usual Joey Ryan match.
I know Corey was there.

Would like to see the shows; was having this discussion with Tim a couple days ago. WSW shows are meant to go up on Impact+ but nothing's gone up since the middle of last year. Think they'd do better having their own VOD page rather than being extra content on Impact. I hope they build someone else from Australia as well. Until Robbie, they didn't put any Australian talent in main events.

Re: I wasn't as high on the Brewery Brawl match, but thought it was solid. Again, liked Kellyanne vs McKenzie but not to the level of people who were there. Thought Brat Pack vs Classics was good as well but I don't know if it makes my list. I agree, Brat Pack have been really good this year. I thought the TLC match was a bit of a mishmash and Parea bombed; but I can't really fault them for either of those.

Danga

Post by Danga » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:40 am

KLC wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:00 am
Danga wrote:

I know Corey was there.

Would like to see the shows; was having this discussion with Tim a couple days ago. WSW shows are meant to go up on Impact+ but nothing's gone up since the middle of last year. Think they'd do better having their own VOD page rather than being extra content on Impact. I hope they build someone else from Australia as well. Until Robbie, they didn't put any Australian talent in main events.

Re: I wasn't as high on the Brewery Brawl match, but thought it was solid. Again, liked Kellyanne vs McKenzie but not to the level of people who were there. Thought Brat Pack vs Classics was good as well but I don't know if it makes my list. I agree, Brat Pack have been really good this year. I thought the TLC match was a bit of a mishmash and Parea bombed; but I can't really fault them for either of those.
I didn't realise they had any kind of VOD. There's been a few times matches form non Melbourne shows look good, but never really wanted to buy more DVDs. I assume they have working relationships with other feds (seems to be PCW in Melbourne) - surely they could partner up with one of their VOD services? Definitely need more homegrown talent at the top of the card. Slex was in the opener and got one of the bigger responses for the night.

The tag match at Brewery Brawl was good live, but haven;t seen it on tape. Potentially it seemed good comparatively to a weaker show overall. I'm a sucker for chain wrestling to open a match, so Millie / Kelly had me straight away. The TLC match was definitely a bit disjointed? I think it was on the same show as Robbie V Ritchie which got a huge response. I know I was exhausted form the back and forth chants etc. and well and truly burnt out by the TLC. Totally agree re: The Parea. Wasn't familiar with them at all and they got almost no response for anything other than the Avary part towards the end. Street Gang Hooligans the month before were far superior and would love to see them back.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:11 am

themib wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:15 pm
Tim_dawg wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:12 am
Saw the match he had with Tommy Knight at last week's PWA show, incredible contrast of styles, and he really helped Knight get over.

That show is really good, from a hot opener with Robbie Eagles and Michael Spencer, the number one contenders tag with the VeloCities and SMS, and a well presented main event between Shazza McKenzie and Jessica Troy. OVO is a very neat app, all I need from it is the ability to cast to TV.
The one problem I have with OVO is I couldn't get it to work(I live in the US), I was about to give up on them, but I was told to try a VPN. That's pretty annoying, and may be a barrier for international fans, but when setting the VPN to Australia it works better than Pivotshare and the video quality is very good.

And that SMS vs VeloCities match. Let's talk about that for a second. How great was that? In my BOLA article I talked about Tyler Payne and Paris De Silva as guys I think are PWG ready, but how good is Ricky South? He has been fucking brilliant this year, especially from a character perspective. He is a surprisingly great heel, and amazing at playing a sociopath. Everyone is expecting him to turn face again and rebel against SMS. But what if Payne turns face and Ricky stays heel? If Shazza beats Ugg for the championship(which I think is a lock), I could see South winning the Colloseum tournament, and murdering Shazza, which would be an amazing story, and get massive heat.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:31 am

Danga wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:40 am
KLC wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:00 am
Danga wrote:

I know Corey was there.

I didn't realise they had any kind of VOD. There's been a few times matches form non Melbourne shows look good, but never really wanted to buy more DVDs. I assume they have working relationships with other feds (seems to be PCW in Melbourne) - surely they could partner up with one of their VOD services? Definitely need more homegrown talent at the top of the card. Slex was in the opener and got one of the bigger responses for the night.

The tag match at Brewery Brawl was good live, but haven;t seen it on tape. Potentially it seemed good comparatively to a weaker show overall. I'm a sucker for chain wrestling to open a match, so Millie / Kelly had me straight away. The TLC match was definitely a bit disjointed? I think it was on the same show as Robbie V Ritchie which got a huge response. I know I was exhausted form the back and forth chants etc. and well and truly burnt out by the TLC. Totally agree re: The Parea. Wasn't familiar with them at all and they got almost no response for anything other than the Avary part towards the end. Street Gang Hooligans the month before were far superior and would love to see them back.
I said this to Kevin, but I'll say it on here too. I think WSW not putting their shows on VOD is doing a huge disservice to the Australian scene. With all the imports, WSW is a much softer landing for people outside of Australia than MCW or PWA are. If they would just get their shit online I'm sure plenty of US or UK fans would give WSW a chance and it would get more eyes on Australian talent, probably create more opportunities for them, and more people would probably be checking out MCW and PWA.

KLC

Post by KLC » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:41 am

Was my first MCW live show with Ballroom Brawl. Really enjoyed it, MCW's production live is next level compared to what I'm used to. Thought that Lochy Hendricks vs Danny Psycho was MOTN (great WWE style/sports entertainment drama); on workrate level could see people preferring Slex vs Moody or the opening tag. Pop for Brooksy's return was ginormous.

I tolerated the Aunty Donna stuff (their opening promo was fine, LUX's vignette was much funnier than any of the sketches they did)