Australian Indy Wrestling - Home of TMDK

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
impactjaz

Re: Australian Indy Wrestling - Home of TMDK

Post by impactjaz » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:30 am

ScorpioCorp wrote:I was quite surprised to find out that a couple of Australian indy wrestlers are having a tour in Michinoku Pro. One of them being Robby Heart, who frequently appears in my local indies. Sure enough, I found this good but short tag team match from a recent show.

Heart was impressive, what area is he from?

Also, whats the name of the guy in the red?

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:13 pm

impactjaz wrote:
ScorpioCorp wrote:I was quite surprised to find out that a couple of Australian indy wrestlers are having a tour in Michinoku Pro. One of them being Robby Heart, who frequently appears in my local indies. Sure enough, I found this good but short tag team match from a recent show.

Heart was impressive, what area is he from?

Also, whats the name of the guy in the red?
Heart is South Australian & his home promotion is Wrestle Rampage. Rui Hiugaji is the red guy.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:47 pm

I had just found out that a couple of fellows from popular YouTube channel RackaRacka did some pro wrestling matches in my local indies. It is some of the craziest stuff I've seen in pro wrestling this year. It is like a deathmatch version of Chikara. More stuntwork than actual wrestling.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:21 am

Both of those matches are FUCKING BONKERS. Wow.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:00 pm

Immensely enjoyes these. Thanks!
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:00 am

This is going to sound insane, but the Ronald McDonald dude has a very odd charm and charisma about him.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:59 am

Joe Lanza wrote:This is going to sound insane, but the Ronald McDonald dude has a very odd charm and charisma about him.
The RackaRacka channel on YouTube has 3 million subscribers & Ronald McDonald features in many of their videos. So he definitely has mass appeal.

Also, Ronald McDonald vs Broken Matt Hardy is a match that needs to happen!

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Ok so I just finished these matches and WTF? It was like watching Jackass meets Chikara meets IWA Japan. This was highly entertaining and ole Ronnie McDonald is a psycho. I got to be honest I was not a fan of the post match shot of Ronald's back. It was just a bit much for me.

Cant wait for the debuts of Mayor McCheese and Grimace!

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:32 am

Melbourne City Wrestling had their two night, Sixth Anniversary Extravaganza shows released recently. Marty Scrull was a special guest on those shows. They were quite fun & enjoyable to watch. Night 2 felt better than Night 1. Scrull was the star of those two nights. He was very over with the crowd & provided some great matches in Melbourne City Invitational Tournament. A couple Aussie guys really impressed me such as Syd Parker (one of my new favorite wrestlers), Josh Shooter, Mark Davis & Adam Brooks.

Here's a little ranking of some my favorite matches of the shows:
1. Syd Parker vs Josh Shooter - Night 1 (These two have great chemistry. A fantastic, hard-hitting affair. Shooter's strength vs Parker's athleticism made for a great dynamic.)
2. Marty Scurll vs Mark Davis - Night 2 (Davis is quite agile for a 6'4 man & his Omega driver is an awesome finisher. This was a fun contest with both guys playing to their strengths.)
3. Syd Parker vs Adam Brooks - Night 2 (Two of the best young wrestlers in Australia battle in a entertaining bout.)
4. Marty Scurll vs Slex - Night 1 (This match was the Marty Scrull show. Slex is a smooth wrestler, but Scurll was on another level.)
5. Marty Scrull vs Adam Brooks - Night 2 (Good back & forth match. Brooks reminds me of a young Chris Jericho.)

The shows are available on Vimeo & are fairly cheap to purchase.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:46 am

Super fun tag match from my local indies. Hot crowd & good action. Interesting fact, Kellyanne recently had a tryout with the WWE & she showed some good fire in this match.

Edit: I also found out Adam Brooks had a WWE tryout & he was quite good in this match as well.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:24 am

If you want to check out the best that Australian wrestling has to offer, then this is the video to watch. Melbourne City Wrestling (arguably the top promotion in Australia), released a best of 2016 complilation. They are very much like the 'Progress Wrestling' of Australia. Known to have some good storytelling, attracts the top talent in Australia/New Zealand (had the likes of Nick Miller, Buddy Murphy, Travis Banks, TK Cooper, Evie etc) & features the occasional (but top class) special guest (guys like Marty Scurll, Jimmy Havoc & Tyler Bate).

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/mcwbest16/194650930

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:00 am

Melbourne City Wrestling Best of 2016 Review

Australian pro wrestling is very much an unknown amongst many wrestling fans, even Australian ones. When I was curious about what the Australian scene was like, there was very little about it on the web besides the promotion websites. That is why I’m doing this review (even if I'm no expert on Australian wrestling or the best writer), to give insight on the Australian Indy scene. I’m not sure if there will be considerable interest in the review, but it will be here for those who are curious.

Melbourne City Wrestling started in 2010 & has grown to be arguably the best promotion in Australian. I’ve heard good things about them & I’ve seen good stuff from them. That is why I choose to do this review on them.

Slex vs Tyler Bate: A good match to start things off. Slex returns to MCW after a two year absence from the promotion & this is Tyler Bate’s first match in Australia. Nice matwork & grappling between the two to start things off, until the match took an interesting turn with Bate playing the heel. Tyler Bate is ridiculously good for a wrestler who is still a teenager. He is going to be a star in the British scene. Showed some good strength with his airplane spin & german suplex combo moves. Slex had a good showing with his very smooth & rapid offense. Slex won the match with a revolving powerbomb. This was a smooth, athletic & hard hitting contest. 3½ stars

MCW Intercommonwealth Championship - Dowie James (c) vs Adam Brooks: Former tag team champs turned rivals after Brooks backstabbed James due to jealously. This was a hell of a match. It had some great storytelling, with James seemingly having Brooks’ number only for Brooks to weasel a victory. There was also good referencing of previous injuries like James’ great limb work on the previously injured arm of Brooks & James getting his orbital bone attacked which was also previously injured. Great near falls near the end of the match with James doing everything he can to finish the job. In the end, Brooks rolled up him up for a three count while having his feet on the rope. James was a terrific babyface in this & looked strong in defeat. The guy is one of the best in Australia (maybe the best). Brooks was a great crafty & smarmy heel. Praise to the commentators in this match, who added good emotion & insight to the match. Loved how they freaked out in outrage about Brooks’ underhanded tactic to win. Best moments in this match was James going for a suicide dive only there was no one there to catch his fall (that moment freaked me out) & Brooks somehow getting his foot on rope when James had his Rings of Saturn submission locked in. 4¼ stars

MCW Tag Team Championships - The Estate (c) (Emmanulle & Cousin Ali) vs Juice-X-T (Mr Juicy & JXT): More of a great moment than a great match. Juice-X-T had a title match against The Estate. In the last match, The Estate used their champions’ advantage & just walked out for a count out loss. As a result of fan support, they got their rematch with the stipulation that if The Estate lose the titles if they get disqualified or counted out. Juice-X-T were quite over with the crowd (kinda like the Rhyno & Health Slater of the company), while The Estate were the opposite. The Estate came across as mediocre, but they were good as a device to get Juice-X-T over. The match was basically The Estate trying to use every trick in the book to keep the titles (brass knuckles, the old Eddie Guerrero playing dead trick etc), but eventually JXT pinned Emanuelle for the three count with the JXPlex (a back suplex buster). Loved the pop from the crowd & commentators for the superplex of the huge Cousin Ali by Juice-X-T. 2½ stars

Kellie Slater vs Kellyanne: Kellyanne is one of the top women’s wrestlers in Australia & was on a winning streak at the time of this match. Slater is a well-regarded wrestler who has been in top women’s promotions like Shimmer in the US & Stardom in Japan. Both women are talented but this match just did not click. It plodded along most of the time. I enjoyed some moments of the match like striking exchanges & the quick opening sequence of the match, but there was nothing to keep me invested. It was just an OK match. Kellyanne won with a Kevin Owens style cannonball to the corner. 2½ stars

Unsanctioned Match - Syd Parker vs Locky Hendricks: It is now time to do a review for a favourite of mine, Syd ‘The Jurassic’ Parker. I like the whole punk look & gimmick he has. He is also a heck of a wrestler. This match is about loved MCW underdog Locky Hendricks wanting revenge on Syd Parker for putting him & his former tag team partner TD on the shelf. I am a sucker for a street fight, a no holes barred or whatever you want to freaking call it. It was a short but brutal affair. Hendricks went right after Parker, only for Parker to get on top of him & absolutely batter his back with a kendo stick, a nasty suplex on a standing chair & a powerbomb on a road sign. Eventually Locky won with a DDT on a ton of props to the delight of the fans, but to my dismay. Props to Locky for taking a beating & doing a suicide dive while having his tied up with a belt. 3¼ stars

MCW Heavyweight Championship - Elliot Sexton (c) vs Hartley Jackson: This is on the compilation for the post-match angle, not for the match itself. The 6’5 foot champ Sexton vs TMDK (a top stable in Australia) head honcho Jackson. Both have a very good reputation in the scene. I have seen some footage of both guys in single matches before this match & neither have blown me away. This match was unfortunately no exception. That was nothing overly memorable or interesting about this match. It is a sound wrestling match, it is just a nothing match. I enjoyed the part where they were brawling in the crowd, but when it got back to ring it was flat. Anyway, the match went for less than ten minutes when TMDK stable member Jonah Rock interfered in this match before Sexton could put Jackson away with the Jackhammer. This then led to the rest of the TMDK coming out (Marcus Pitt & Slex) who absolute destroyed the MCW wrestlers who came to defend & help (Dowie James, Mr Juicy & JXT). Dowie James wore the crimson mask & Mr Juicy got powerbomb through the commentators table. They even attacked beloved official Edwin Lay & chocked him out with the ring ropes which they detached from the ring. At the end of it all, Jackson cut a nice promo declaring war on MCW & Marcus Pitt threatened to piss on a MCW t-shirt. It is very much a NWO-esque takeover angle. 2 stars (good angle though)

MCW Intercommonwealth Championship - Dowie James (c) vs Jonah Rock: Worked a nice match with James using his speed & agility to his advantage, while Jonah Rock used his power & size. Rock was very much trying to ground James with his strikes & power moves, while James tried to avoid it with more quick, dynamic offensive. The match felt like it was cut short when Marcus Pitt distracted the referee & Slex hit James with his recently won tag team title for Rock to cover him. 3 stars

MCW Tag Team Championship – TMDK (c) vs Panic: A great tag team match. Syd Parker was fantastic in this match. The guy wrestles like a madman. He takes nasty looking bumps & is not afraid to launch himself off the ropes. Benny Factor is a solid foil for Parker’s athleticism with his brawn. Pitt & Slex made for a good tag team with Pitt’s strength & Slex’s smoothness. The finishing stretch of the match was wild. It ended with Parker taking an deadlift second rope suplex from Marcus Pitt, then a Slexacution (jumping corkscrew roundhouse kick) from Slex, then lastly an F-5 by Pitt. 3½ stars

Josh Shooter vs Robbie Eagles vs Mark Davis: Fun triple threat match with everyone working hard & shining in this match. The victor Josh Shooter was the star of this match with his strength (like his deadlift powerbomb & burning hammer variation) & hard hitting style. Robbie Eagles showed off some his high flying skills like his tope con hilo & 450 splash, as well as his quickness. Mark Davis came across as a presence while also showing his comical side. One moment he is playing around with his opponent by giving them an airplane spin, the next he is taking people’s heads off with lariats. I wish it could of gone a bit longer. 3¼ stars

Evie vs Kellyanne: This was a physical match. Man, Evie has to be the best striker in women’s wrestling or at least one of the best. There were moments in this match where she reminded me of Katsuyori Shibata with her kicking. Kellyanne is also someone who is not afraid to get physical & that made for a great contest. At one point, she bent Evie’s leg in the most disgusting manner & stomped it. In the end, Kellyanne definitely put the middle finger up as Evie gave her a double stomp from the top rope. 3½ stars

MCW Intercommonwealth Championship - Jonah Rock (c) vs Mr Juicy: The monster of TMDK vs one of the most lovable guys in wrestling. To me, he is on a Tomoaki Honma level of lovable. He is known as a comedy wrestler but he can also go in the ring. Rock & Juicy had a good hoss fight. There was great emotion in this match because of the red hot TMDK vs MCW feud (previously Jonah Rock had smashed A GLASS BOTTLE ON THE HEAD OF MR JUICY, which prevented this match taking place on a previous show). They were throwing bombs & showing off some surprising agility (Rock at one point did a frog splash like a Guerrero). Mr Juicy was able to hit his Candy Crusher (basically a stunner) for the 3 count. 3½ stars

Semi Final of the Melbourne City Invitational - Marty Scurll vs Mark Davis: This match is a part of the Melbourne City Invitational which (spoiler!) Marty Scurll eventually won, defeating Adam Brooks in the finals. Scurll attacks Davis with an umbrella before the bell. What a legend!. This match heavily entertaining from start to finish. From the early part where Scrull was methodically working on the big man Davis (in particular his left arm), the middle part where Davis tries to use his heart & power to take control, then lastly to the finishing stretch which kicked another gear. Scrull showed why he is a world-class wrestler & performer, also with Davis showing that he can hang with the best. Awesome finish with Scurll KICKING OUT OF THE OMEGA DRIVER AT ONE when he precedes to BREAK HIS FINGERS which set him up for the CHICKENWING for the submission. 3¾ stars

Ryan Rollins (aka Australian Suicide) vs Adam Brooks vs Robbie Eagles: SPOT FEST, YEAH BABY! I expected this one to knock my socks off & it didn’t disappoint. Rollins time in top Mexican promotion AAA (just want to note that his feud with Daga is arguably the best thing AAA has done this year) has served him well because was sensational. I couldn’t believe some of the moves he pulled off! (like some of his corkscrew dives in this match). Robbie Eagles is more than just a component high flyer & showed he could hang with a guy like Rollins. Brooks is not a high flyer like Rollins or Eagles, but added to the match with his charisma & heel work. In the midpoint of the match, he mock Rollins & Eagles by wearing the Australian Suicide (his lucha libre persona in AAA) mask & Eagles bandana, which got some good heat. Rollins won by taking advantage of Brooks swaton bomb on Eagles. 3¾ stars

Conclusion: This video sums up what Melbourne City Wrestling is about. You’re not necessarily going to get critically acclaimed matches, but you will see some good wrestling with some good storytelling. You will also see underrated wrestlers (especially Dowie James & Syd Parker) who could pop up in more places (much like MCW alumni Travis Banks & TK Cooper who are doing well in the UK scene). It is not a perfect promotion, it has its weaknesses. Although, it is worth supporting & checking out. Particularly if you are an Australian who enjoys pro wrestling.

Here's the link for the compilation https://vimeo.com/ondemand/mcwbest16/194650930
$6 to rent & $10 to buy (Australian dollars)

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:15 pm

Good little article from What Culture on some of the top talents in Australia. http://whatculture.com/wwe/9-australian ... could-sign

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:28 am

I've got to give this show a plug. MCW Final Battle was a fantastic show. The last women standing match between Evie vs Kellyanne was one of the best women's wrestling matches this year. Elliot Sexton vs Dowie James title match & Australian Suicide vs Adam Brooks are also great. Everything was entertaining (except for a DUD match between two 'green as grass' big men). Here are some highlights:

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:41 am

Great recap of the Dowie James vs Elliot Sexton feud in MCW. It had some great storytelling. Also, Dowie James' promo is pretty damn good.