Your 2016 new best friends

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
strikamura

Re: Your 2016 new best friends

Post by strikamura » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:56 am

Good idea, I'll add some more too.

Takuya Nomura: This kid is must-watch for me. He, along with my next choice, has really invigorated my interest in BJW. I'm glad he's getting booked all over, I make it a point to check out every show he's on. Could easily see him being one of my top five favorite wrestlers in the world in like five years time.

Yoshihisa Uto: An underrated guy with so much potential. Him tagging with Suzuki/Nomura/Kikuta has been a highlight of BJW this year for me. I like him a lot and hope he gets plenty of opportunities in 2017, like the Champion Carnival as others have said.

DG Rookies: This new crop has been something else. I really like them all, but if I had to be more specific, I was immediately drawn to Shun Watanabe (maybe a little less so now with the goofy Shun Skywalker gimmick, but I still enjoy him) and Yuki Yoshioka. All of them have tremendous upside, though. I could also see Hyou Watanabe climbing up my list really fast.

Cyber Kong: No particular reason, I've just come to really love Cyber Kong. I've always liked him (there's nobody in DG that I dislike), but for whatever reason I've really come to appreciate Cyber Kong this year.

Speedy Bellerin

Post by Speedy Bellerin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:30 am

2016 was the year I began to follow indy and Japanese wrestling full time (seriously, it's like having a second job) so there are way too many awesome wrestlers that I've become familiar with.

I have however seen myself become an unashamed cheerleader for: Naito, Okada and Scurll

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:19 pm

Have to add Travis Banks to my list, for the reasons Padje listed earlier in this thread. Came out of nowhere and stole everybody's heart. He's one of the most intense performers out there, and so much potential for more. Unless something dramatic happens, he's going to be the UK scene break-out star in 2017 for sure.

Also Chris Brookes, but for a very different set of reasons. He is gross and wrong, bless him.

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:56 am

Shuji Ishikawa, Omega, Shibata and Hideki Suzuki

Planet

Post by Planet » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:20 am

Kazusada Higuchi - obvious gigantic potential, amazing charisma and star aura, huge beefy hoss that knows how to work stiff and can take what he dishes out, somehow manages you manipulate sympathy when he's getting his ass beat?? Love the guy.

Kento Miyahara - taken the ball and run with it, can't take your eyes off him when he arrives, cool demeanor so he can easily switch heel/face, great offensive moves, versatile and can work with anyone, somehow was immediately comfortable being the star of the promotion, crazy level of talent

Padje

Post by Padje » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:38 am

suplexberry wrote:Have to add Travis Banks to my list, for the reasons Padje listed earlier in this thread. Came out of nowhere and stole everybody's heart. He's one of the most intense performers out there, and so much potential for more. Unless something dramatic happens, he's going to be the UK scene break-out star in 2017 for sure.
It's great to see how people have taken to him. Fight Club Pro annointed him their new star last month, so I'd expect PROGRESS (who hadn't booked him yet at the date of the original post), OTT and the rest to do the same by summer. The only worry is the length of his visa. Not sure if it's 1 or 2 years, but the first time I saw him was January 2016, so we're at least half way through.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:00 pm

He said on Flash Morgan Webster's podcast that it was a 2 year visa. So we might have to become worried in late 2017 unless he gets a contract somewhere, or a new visa on some other grounds. Considering how the landscape is changing, the former seems more likely, but who knows.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:21 pm

The first time I watched DG was Dead or Alive this year. It has become my favourite promotion in the world. Tribe Vanguarf formed on my very first show and YAMATO is my favourite wrestler right now.
I also watched BJW and fell in love with the Strong division. I don't really love the deathmatch division but I don't skip the matches now.
I also started watching DDT. My #2 favourite promotion. I absolutely love Harashima, Damnation and LiLiCo. I watch them because every time I watch one of their shows, the show ends with me having a smile on my face.
I also started watching All Japan. Kento Miyahara is the #1 Ace in all of wrestling. Suwama is there. Nomura, Aoyagi and Lee are great. I've not been watching all the shows but I'm in tune with the big shows and the storyline moving forward.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:16 pm

This website has definitely done a lot to expand the scope of things that I watch. For a few years I wasn't watching any wrestling at all aside from catching the odd Royal Rumble or Wrestlemania show. Then I sort of randomly stumbled onto Lucha Underground which somehow lead me to the heavily-hyped Wrestle Kingdom 9 show which got me into New Japan, which somehow lead me to this site and also to getting back into ROH, etc. This year I've made a concerted effort to at least sample as many of the other promotions as I could given time and money constraints. There are some things I just can't get into (authentic lucha, EVOLVE, PWG) and some that I just haven't gotten around to (Progress, joshi), but I've definitely been impressed by a lot of what I've seen out of Rev Pro, WXW, DDT, Dragon Gate, All Japan, and the Big Japan strong division, and I credit this website and these forums for getting me curious about a lot of that stuff.

Most recently I've been very impressed by what I've seen from Kotaro Suzuki in Wrestle-1's Cruiserweight division. (Although I suppose this is kind of an ironic time to start getting into anything related to Wrestle-1). His matches with Andy Wu from 7/1 and Yusuke Kodama from 8/11 are particularly impressive. The way that Suzuki incorporates both the 619 and the Tiger Driver into his regular offense makes me feel like I am watching a walking embodiment of Cruiserweight/Junior wrestling history, but he also executes his high flying spots in ways that don't feel contrived or overly choreographed, and his matches have a real fight feel to them while still being spectacular and exciting in the way that you want Cruiserweight matches to be.

My other new favorites this year are Shuji Ishikawa, Shingo, Walter (haven't seen much of him but was very impressed with his match vs. Sabre Jr. at 16 Carat), and Lio Rush.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:28 pm

I've not watched a whole lot this year, but Riddle is definitely one. As someone with no interest in MMA I was pretty nonplussed about the idea of him debuting in EVOLVE last year but this year, once they let him loose he ended up being one of the highlights of most EVOLVE shows.

I still haven't gotten around to PROGRESS yet, so the CWC was the first I saw of Jack Gallacher and I love his act as well. Also, Ember Moon having not seen a massive amount of Athena and Buddy Murphy who's my new NXT crush/cause/pet project.

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:54 am

Pete Dunne. I got into BritWres pretty heavily during a period of unemployment earlier this year, and I binge-watched everything on Demand Progress within the space of 4-5 days back in May. The Dunne Brothers never really held my attention as a unit, but Pete stood out as soon as he started striking out on his own. I think the real turning point was the Moustache Mountain vs. The Dunnes match, when he and Trent first came together. I can't take my eyes off British Strong Style now.

Most recently, I guess the entire Dragon Gate roster. I didn't really get into the promotion until checking-out the Dads vs. rookies 5 on 5 match that everyone around here has been talking about. I don't quite know how to digest DG at the moment, but that's part of the fun. It feels fresh, exciting, and completely different.

The "grumpy Dad who smokes forty a day and isn't at all pleased that a scruffy oik like you is dating his precious daughter" character is one of my absolute favourites in wrestling, so I was immediately drawn to Fujii and Mochi. Shingo just jumps off the bloody screen too: incredible presence, great heel. I love Ben-K. Big R is bags of fun. The Stalker lad is just ridiculous and hilarious.

I've reserved the Christmas Day show for hungover viewing on New Year's Day. Really can't wait to get to know this wacky cast of characters better in 2017.