Your 2016 new best friends

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
mprentice84

Re: Your 2016 new best friends

Post by mprentice84 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:43 am

wac wrote: KUSHIDA - This is kind of a weird one, he's been one of my favorites for a while but he's been so consistently good that I kind of got bored. He's like the new Nakamura to me, his autopilot matches are ***1/2 - **** and then as soon as I get used to it and start thinking he's lazy or I've seen it all, he pulls out a match of the year. He's not a new favorite, but I've definitely come to appreciate him more.
Same here. I've been a big fan for years, but he's become one of my favorite workers in the world in 2016. Might be my Wrestler of the Year at the halfway point.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:55 am

mprentice84 wrote:
wac wrote: KUSHIDA - This is kind of a weird one, he's been one of my favorites for a while but he's been so consistently good that I kind of got bored. He's like the new Nakamura to me, his autopilot matches are ***1/2 - **** and then as soon as I get used to it and start thinking he's lazy or I've seen it all, he pulls out a match of the year. He's not a new favorite, but I've definitely come to appreciate him more.
Same here. I've been a big fan for years, but he's become one of my favorite workers in the world in 2016. Might be my Wrestler of the Year at the halfway point.
I completely agree with all that, but I'll add that his theme did the same for me in 2016. I always liked his theme and I LOVE it this year. The only reason I'm bothering to post this is that I looked it up and found out that it's called "KUSHIDA Makes You Rock!" Fantastic.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:10 pm

Kamaitachi/Dragon Lee - I'm counting both as one for obvious reasons.

Kenny Omega - I hated how "quirky" and cornball this guy was. His work after ascending to the top of BC has won me over.

Rusev - I wasn't as high on him as a lot of people during his initial monster run. His US title run has made him look unstoppable. His TV/Social Media charisma doesn't hurt either.

HeadCheese
Location: Zonie Winner, Jesus Lover, Cheese`s Lover, and Pasta Eater. Maker of Bad Jokes. Great plugger.

Post by HeadCheese » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:48 pm

Trevor Lee – If he gets a time solid amount of match time in TNA his matches are usually good and CWF match with Cedric Alexander won me over

Isaias Velazquez, Robert Anthony, and Prince Mustafa Ali – They have all impressed from the Freelance Wrestling livestreams by all seeming

Shinsuke Nakamura – They did not really click with for some reason and then for some reason clicked extremely well in NXT

Cage and Pentagon Jr. – A similar thing Shinsuke I presence has grown, and I feel his Season 2 matches are a level above his Season 1 matches

Suede Thomson, Danny Limelight Rivera, Douglas James, Kamaitachi, and Mascara Dorado – I did not them that well, but their matches have really impressed me

Superkix

Post by Superkix » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:49 am

Hudeki Suzuki - I'd slept on Suzuki for the longest time but he's consistently good and crisp, and his matches never feel repetitive.

Hideyoshi Kamitani - A baby-faced killer. Simple but effective. And he throws a hell of a shoulderblock.

Atsushi Maruyama & Daisuke Sasaki- I never really watched Maruyama's stuff as Tigers Mask and I've seen a handful of Sasaki matches. They do a lot of little things I like that are so often ignored. Smart heel wrestlers.

Hajime Ohara - Probably my favorite NOAH junior. I could easily see him mix it up with Jushin Liger and KUSHIDA in the Super J Cup and make me happy. And KUSHIDA has definitely stepped it up and quickly become one of my favorite juniors to watch.

I think EVIL has a lot of potential. I wouldn't call him my new best friend but I'm warming up to him more and more.

JML

Your 2016 new best friends

Post by JML » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:35 pm

Ultimo Guerrero - I have yet to see the Stuka Jr match but he's had a really good year with his matches with Xtreme Tiger, Caristico, Hechicero and Satanico. Had a fun match with Bobby Lashley and I even enjoyed the match with Pagano and his chop battles with Caifan never get old.

Kairi Hojo - She hasn't had to same amount great matches as she had last year but she's great to watch this year with her match with Io Shirai, the tag matches with Meiko vs Thunder Rock, her teaming with Mayu Iwatani vs Io and Santana Garrett and had solid match with Garrett. I think I dropped the ball not seeing more of her in 2015 cause she was the best women's wrestler last year, not Sasha Banks.

Mascara Dorada - Almost forgot about Dorada. The guy is just awesome and busts is ass every match but gets booed out of the building at Arena Mexico (like a top guy in WWE). If he ain't must see in 2016, idk who is.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:58 am

Bringing up UG, made me remember how much I've enjoyed Caristico this year. Wouldn't go as far as to call him one of my "new best friends", but he's had a a pretty damn good year so far. Most I've enjoyed him in awhile.

wac

Post by wac » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:09 pm

Caristico has been a nice surprise for me this year, I loved his match with Volador. Dorada has also been tremendous but he's always tremendous.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:42 pm

Kaho and Kagetsu - Two of the most talented joshi freelancers. Their tag matches are stellar as a team or as part of Misson K4. Kagetsu is getting some exposure through Stardom and hopefully she'll be winning the NEO Title.

Kazuhiro Tamura - Where has this guy been? Well apparently its on the deep indies no one watches. He's been an absolute revelation for me, he is so good and yet so few can see that because he's on HEAT UP (main reason why I'm such a HEAT UP mark). Thankfully, he is getting booked on All Japan shows through his association with the AXE BOMBERS and is challenging Yohei for the TV Title soon. You too will soon know the greatness that is Tamura!

Ryota Hama- Talk about a career year! Prior to 2016, Hama was consistently the worst thing on any show he was on but working with the Strong BJ lads have made him into something great. Of course, its mostly the lads selling for him and his size but it takes two to tango and Hama does his part.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:13 pm

As a relatively new Dragon Gate viewer, YAMATO in recent months has been a revelation. I always saw him as just the 3rd guy of Veserk as I had already been exposed to Shingo and Doi years ago in ROH. Stepped it up big time in the final few defenses of the Twin Gate with Doi and performance of the year at Dead or Alive.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:54 pm

DETROIT_KEJB wrote: Kenny Omega - I hated how "quirky" and cornball this guy was. His work after ascending to the top of BC has won me over.
I wouldn't go as far as 'hating' Omega's work prior to his run as the BC leader/ as the IC Champ, but he certainly blew hot and cold for me before. He was always someone where I could see the talent but then he would take me out of how good he is, by being too goofy. This year though it's totally clicked- primarily because he's kept the 'goofy' character work outside of his ring work. These days he's coming across as very charismatic and pushing the more quirky elements of his character work right to the edge but managing to stay just on the right side where it doesn't get annoying- marry that with Omega's ring work, which was always impressive and he's finally coming across as a 'star' rather than someone who has the potential to be one.

I'm also very much on board with the BUSHI love in, he's another one that has discovered that 'IT' factor. Prior to the long injury lay off he was just a generic lucha influenced junior heavyweight- the very definition of a Junior Division JAG. But since coming back as part of Los Ingobernables, with this mist gimmick, he's carrying himself like a star, with this very cool vibe. Whilst there are other's in the Junior Division I feel are better in terms of pure in-ring ability (KUSHIDA/Ospreay/Ricochet/O'Reilly and Sydal) for me BUSHI is good enough in the ring to be able to 'hang' with those guys whilst also providing the Junior ranks most absorbing character. You just have to see how over he is with the fans, with all the BUSHI masks that are now plentiful in number amongst the crowd!

Padje

Post by Padje » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:28 am

Travis Banks - I've mentioned him on here before. He's a well built New Zealander with, as far as I am aware, no name recognition before coming to the UK last year. He plays two characters under his own name. One is a brash, trash Fly-For-A-White-Guy audience antagoniser heel on family shows - the sort of guy it's upsetting just to look at - and then alsop a hard eyed strong style face in adult promotions. The former character didn't do anything for me, but the latter is one I look for first on Fight Club Pro cards. He's intense, hits very hard, and has a legitimate tough guy aura. With Trent Seven now getting bookings in ICW, Rev Pro and PROGRESS, I'd imagine Travis won't be too far behind. I expect him to be one of the number 1 faces in the country by this time next year.

Will Ospreay was trying to get a match booked between the two at the weekend.

Koss

Post by Koss » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:35 am

I second David Finlay. He's become a phenomenal brawler and he has that special thing where you believe ever strike that he gives. I'm really excited to see what he dpes once the Young Boy thing is finished (which must be soon).

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:59 pm

Kushida - I always enjoyed him but have really loved his work recently. He's certainly someone that has become someone I would look out for.

Mark Haskins - Again he was someone that has always been good but finally clicked with me beginning of this year. He's such a underrated worker.

Pete Dunn - I dunno what it' is but i'm really starting to enjoy his work. This guy is the future man. I see him in NJPW after Ospreay leaves for the fed.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:43 am

Now that the year is almost finished, I thought it would be good to revise this thread.

'Super' Dowie James - The Man of Melbourne City Wrestling. This guy has had a hell of a 2016. Arguably, the best wrestler in Australia. Can get a good match out of anyone.

Syd 'Jurrasic' Parker - Has a fantastic punk gimmick. He is also great in the ring. Wrestles & bumps like a madman.

'Loose Cunt' Adam Brooks - Great wrestler. Can be both a great face & heel. His heel work in MCW has been fantastic.

Space Monkey - I FREAKING LOVE SPACE MONKEY. Great comedy wrestler who can go when he needs to.

Broken Matt Hardy - I'll be honest, I have always thought Matt Hardy was mediocre before this gimmick. Matt Hardy had very little going for him. Now that he has lost his mind, he has become the dysfunctional face of TNA. Without Broken Matt, TNA would be OBSOLETE.