Jay White in 5 years / 10 years

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Alan4L

Jay White in 5 years / 10 years

Post by Alan4L » Sat May 21, 2016 7:18 am

So I think Jay White is probably the best prospect in wrestling right now (not exactly a hot take I know) and what I'm wondering is where do people see him in five years (he'll be 28) and ten years (he'll be 33).

It's going to be interesting to see how WWE's vulture-esque stance on outside talent changes his career trajectory. If you compare him to 2006/2007 Devitt, that was a guy who New Japan were in zero rush to move up the cards. It was really only 2009 that Fergal started getting a proper push as a junior and 2013 when they started seeing him as a main event attraction. There was seemingly no fear of WWE swiping him from under their nose. Is White going to get propelled up the card because they want to keep him around?

If he does stay in New Japan for the next decade, I can't imagine him not reaching main event level. The fans treat him as one of their own already so I don't think him being a gaijin will hold him back too much. It's one of the most fascinating things in wrestling for me right now to see how it develops.

Alan4L

Re: Jay White in 5 years / 10 years

Post by Alan4L » Sat May 21, 2016 8:23 am

gonna actually man up and make some predictions here so that I can look back at this thread in the future.

5 years - heading into his third G1. Has had one Tokyo Dome singles match, has been NEVER champion and has challenged for the IC title.
10 years - Has had a legendary rivarly with Okada, has main evented the Dome and has been IWGP heavyweight champion.

Stavros

Post by Stavros » Sat May 21, 2016 9:25 am

I'd say he's probably going to have been in two G1s 5 years from now but he's never going to be IWGP champ. Not that he's not good enough but its not always enough. Not going to rule out IC champ.

I think his success largely at this point depends on the one variable we don't quite know yet, whether he'll have developed the persona to match his in-ring. He could be Naito all over again, and who knows if he'll find his Los Ingobernables.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat May 21, 2016 12:09 pm

I really don't have insight on him or what motivates him. But WWE can't get enough of Australian and New Zealand indie Wrestlers NXT tryout wise. Seems like WWE sees growth in that region.

pol

Post by pol » Sat May 21, 2016 12:58 pm

Definitely see him in WWE within 5 years if he wants to go there.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat May 21, 2016 4:18 pm

I'd be pretty surprised if he isn't a WWE wrestler in 5 years, and absolutely stunned if he isn't there 10 years from now.

Projecting stardom is much harder to do in that company because it is so dependent on what kind of persona they slap you with and how management initially perceives you. If he stays in NJPW for any length of time, he's a lock to be a top guy.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat May 21, 2016 4:27 pm

All former New Japan guys follow him on Twitter as does Nattie, Tyson Kidd and Fit Finlay. So that's a pretty strong network right there.

Planet

Post by Planet » Sat May 21, 2016 6:05 pm

Predicting where he'll be and what he'll do is a bit tricky because he's not native Japanese and not even American. Pushing forward with the idea that he'll probably be a heavyweight you have to imagine he'll be mixing it up with the Watanabes and the Okas of the next ten years which are pretty great dance partners even if you're just predicting NJPW stock proper. If you assume he'll make it to the WWE and won't require significant time reprogramming he'll be roughly in the same class as Gable, Jordan, Riddle and whoever your favorite current performance center youngboy is.

Hard to tell, as the eastern and western rookie training methods are so different.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sat May 21, 2016 8:39 pm

I really like the guy and he's obviously uber-talented, but I've been refusing to get fully invested in him ever since he debuted because it's rather obvious he's NXT-bound sooner or later, I've learned my lessons.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Sun May 22, 2016 10:35 am

I think his future depends a lot on how important it is to him to stay close to NZ. Big difference between Tokyo and Orlando.

Aside from that, the sky is the limit. If he stays in NJPW, five years from now, he's held the tag belts, and maybe a NEVER or IC win. Should hopefully be ready for his third or fourth G1, and would be in line for a good showing. In ten years, definitely the top gaijin.

If he jumps at some point, impossible to predict. The skills that get you ahead in WWE aren't ones he has had the chance to show yet.

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Tue May 24, 2016 9:24 am

Purely as a selfish New Japan fan would love to see White become as successful as he possibly can in that company. A real blue chipper for mine.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Tue May 24, 2016 1:21 pm

He will be having a feud with former partner & friend David Finlay in the "E"
Who's Rob Viper ?

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:45 pm

Well we definitely all went too conservative on this!

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Surprised at everyone thinking in 5 years Jay will be entering his 2nd, 3rd, or 4th G1. He's being put second from the top against Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom in his first match back, in 5 years time Jay White will have been in exactly 5 G1s. Jay has already had the biggest return match of any young lion maybe ever in New Japan, I think everybody will be surprised at just how hard Gedo is going to push Jay over the next 5/10 years.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:28 am

mrjoshdude wrote:Surprised at everyone thinking in 5 years Jay will be entering his 2nd, 3rd, or 4th G1. He's being put second from the top against Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom in his first match back, in 5 years time Jay White will have been in exactly 5 G1s. Jay has already had the biggest return match of any young lion maybe ever in New Japan, I think everybody will be surprised at just how hard Gedo is going to push Jay over the next 5/10 years.
Check the date on the first post in this thread bud.