Is KAI Salvageable?

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
PKThree

Is KAI Salvageable?

Post by PKThree » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Since Sanada finally made it big over in Gedoland. Let's talk about KAI.

It's no secret that KAI has been brutishly booked since the start of Wrestle-1. Turning him from a man who was one of the intended aces of AJPW alongside Sanada and Soya into a joke in the span of 2 years. Is there anything that can be done to save KAI's career? In my opinion he is not a bad wrestler, far from it. And his junior heavyweight days in All Japan and his run in the 2013 carnival showed that he has potential as a top level/upper card level guy. But has too much damage been done to him by the powers that be in W1?

What needs to be done to save KAI's career?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Is KAI Salvageable?

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:22 pm

Anyone can be salvageable if the right gimmick clicks.

He's been booked into oblivion worse than just about anyone else I can think of in recent vintage though. I've said it before, but Sanada was very lucky to be away from W1 during that period.

Irving

Post by Irving » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:15 pm

He could leave W1 and go back to All Japan. That group would have been okay in the W1 split if Soya and KAI never left. Sanada was already out the door doing TNA. He's got to go to a promotion that's going to allow him to work. I don't watch W1 but he's doing some Onita tribute gimmick yet not doing deathmatches?

Miyahara/Zeus/KAI over the TC would provide some hot matches. The only way out of this is top notch performances because in 2013 the guy was gold and it wasn't all Shiozaki/Akiyama that made him look that way.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:31 pm

I've also considered the possibility of KAI growing tired of W1 and going back to AJPW and going on a "redemption series" of sorts. He probably wouldn't be immediately in the title picture but give him about 6 months of solid performances and he could become a challenger at least. Or a tag champ. That's what I hope would happen. Because I like KAI

Irving

Post by Irving » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:56 pm

Just think of the matches KAI could have in All Japan.

KAI vs. Suwama, Miyahara, Zeus, Nomura, Akiyama not to count against outsiders like Ishikawa. I don't think there's anything or anyone appealing for him to face there. While we're at it, can we just get Soya to leave too?

This situation reminds me a lot of Kazushi Miyamoto back in 2006. He was getting a push as the next big ace, has a match against Kawada where he gets semi-squashed to set up his eventual return where he'd get his win back, but instead leaves All Japan for the failed KINGS ROAD group and is now working shows in Kyushu for 40 people. Suwama ended up getting his push and the rest is history.