Promotion of the Year

mlev76

Promotion of the Year

Post by mlev76 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:41 pm

So, I'll start the ball rolling with something that may not be shared by the masses who vote in the WO Awards (and most likely not be Dave himself). That being, that WWE is clearly the best promotion this years when you look at things from an overall perspective.

Some keys to this include:

1) Luring four major talents from New Japan right after the conclusion of this year's WrestleKingdom.

2) Creating a new main event star in AJ Styles.

3) Putting on the biggest NA show in history at Wrestlemania.

4) Featuring numerous great main events since Mania.

5) Utilizing outside talent and promotions to create a new format for wrestlers to join the WWE system with the CWC.

6) Continuing to put on high end Takeover specials with NXT.

7) Bringing in Mauro Ranallo and utilizing announcers in a new manner.

Some may debate these points and certainly things are not perfect overall. But, I feel like no other promotion did more on so many levels this year.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Re: Promotion of the Year

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:02 pm

I'm fine with this as well. By the definition of the award, WWE is the heavy favorite and more than that, as you laid out. There are plenty of examples of them being a forward-thinking, net positive company this year. It's hard for many but looking beyond RAW is necessary. (Also if you chop like 90 minutes off of RAW every week, it'd be the Weekly Show of the Year too!) Their PPVs have been largely great this year with a lot of really good in-ring. They continue to develop NXT as a viable third "brand" which is making money. They've finally began leveraging the Network to be a positive driver of business and star creation. Plus, their talent acquistion has never been better. They are finally, actively seeking out the best talent in the world regardless of size, shape, race, style, etc. They may not win because it's not a sexy pick but they deserve it.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:17 pm

I like WWE this year much more than I did in previous years, but I just can't consider them as the best promotion in the world after that terrible Wrestlemania.

NJPW struggled a little bit after losing major stars on February and March tours, but I think they replaced Nakamura, AJ and Ibushi very well. From excitement standpoint, they are much better now than they were in 2015. Also booking is much, much better. In-ring work in my opinion is also at least as good.

Dragon Gate is having an excellent year. Their big shows deliver and all the Korakuen Hall shows are always so easy to watch. Also DoA main event is my current #2 in MOTY race, so this already puts them very high on my list.

PWG is always so good, I just love them. EVOLVE is really good, altough definitely not my cup of tea. I don't watch enough DDT and PROGRESS, but I like what I see from them.

So my current top 3 would be:

1. NJPW
2. DG
3. PWG

If WWE has a really good second half of the year (in previous years this part of the year was terrible for them), they might even finish second. But I doubt it will happen.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:50 am

They won't win but CMLL has had an amazing business year by their standards. With their business model they can do tiny crowds all year and still be profitable but they've had much increased attendance for most of the year, gotten big sponsorship deals, drawn way better than expected for many special shows & even the Guadalajara shows have spiked in the latter half of the year. Just food for thought.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:20 pm

Now that WWE has stagnated somewhat in the past few months, and NJPW has rebounded remarkably from their talent losses, I have to imagine the gap is narrowed. Does anyone have a strong opinion about WWE vs. NJPW for this award?

DezWalker

Post by DezWalker » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:30 am

Unless people just won't vote for anything MMA related in the awards, I don't see how anyone could not vote for UFC as Promotion of the Year. By just about every measure they blow away every other company.

If we're talking strictly wrestling, I'd go WWE but NJPW is closing the gap.......or rather WWE is.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:20 pm

DezWalker wrote:Unless people just won't vote for anything MMA related in the awards, I don't see how anyone could not vote for UFC as Promotion of the Year. By just about every measure they blow away every other company.

If we're talking strictly wrestling, I'd go WWE but NJPW is closing the gap.......or rather WWE is.
I'd say it's a little of both. I actually probably watch more WWE to the exclusion of other promotions at this point, but the quality has had a dropoff since Summerslam weekend. New Japan has recovered from concerns about its future earlier this year and the match quality is excellent. I'm not sure how much its grown as a company business wise/popularity wise, so I'm still going with WWE. My clear WWE bias should be taken into account, but I'd say the same even without that.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:31 pm

If i was voting in this category stricly based on the product that's being delivered, NJPW would run away with this by far for me. Including other factors, it's not that much of a dominating win, but NJPW is still my #1 pick.

jamesie

Post by jamesie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:37 pm

What are the criteria for this according to Dave?
Is it best business wise or one you think has had the best product?

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:44 pm

If it's business wise, I'd have to go NJPW. But on my own enjoyment, I think it'd be Beyond or Dragon Gate, with EVOLVE and Progress not far behind in the race for #3. So many promotions that have been on great form this year though, it feels like it's getting harder every year to pick a top three.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:57 pm

NJPW is smaller and their triumph is more about growing somewhat when they probably should've contracted after the raid. WWE though, I feel like they've still had a red letter year business-wise, despite their product dropping off huge in quality.

I want to give it to NJPW, but WWE has still made a ton of noteworthy moves and is having a really good business year. Or I'm totally wrong about the business stuff, but that was my understanding.

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:02 am

mlev76 wrote:New Japan has recovered from concerns about its future earlier this year and the match quality is excellent. I'm not sure how much its grown as a company business wise/popularity wise, so I'm still going with WWE.

Profit increased to 410 million yen ($4.1 million USD) for the 2016 fiscal year.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:44 pm

UFC should win this by a wide margin, but fact this mentality that we have MMA & Wrestling together. So I am not voting for them and I hope many people don't do this as well.

NJPW is probably going to win this for the 5th year in a row. And rightfully so - fantastic in-ring year overall and some really great booking moves, and they are doing very well business wise.

I can't vote for WWE after this combination of very underwhelming Summerslam and a FUCKING TERRIBLE Wrestlemania. Yes, WWE has had a strong in-ring year and of course they've achieved a lot business wise this year, but I think post-Summerslam period has been very average.

Dragon Gate has had a fantastic year and from what I understand they sold out all big iPPV's.

1. NJPW
2. Dragon Gate
3. WWE

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:11 pm

RIZIN is making my ballot

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:39 pm

1. NJPW
2. UFC