2016 Lou Thesz/Ric Flair Award (Wrestler of the Year)

Garuda

Re: 2016 Lou Thesz/Ric Flair Award (Wrestler of the Year)

Post by Garuda » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:55 pm

Edu_Tessis wrote:1 - Naito
2 - Styles
3 - Ishii

If we're talking Juniors, then Ospreay and KUSHIDA have to be in the list as well, but for how over Naito is right now, and how consistently good his matches have been, I gotta give it to him, although Styles isn't far behind and Ishii is having a sneaky excellent year, with the Shibata feud and both his matches against Naito at the Cup and at Dontaku.
I think that's my current feeling in total, including the KUSHIDA rep. Ospraey was my initial pick, but I have to cede it to Naito and Styles for their top-of-the-company dick swinging.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:45 am

My current three
1) AJ Styles
2) KUSHIDA
3) Shingo Takagi

On the bubble,
-Tetsuya Naito
-Will Ospreay
-Chris Hero

It's going to be hard for anyone to beat Styles, although I think everyone else has had a better in-ring year than him (that's not a slight to AJ), but semi-main eventing the Dome, bypassing NXT, and then undoubtedly succeeding on the main roster is really hard to beat.

KUSHIDA has fulfilled the ace role that the juniors division desperately needed. He feels like a big deal to me, and he's on fire in the ring. I'm really high on the Liger match. Love what he did with Opsreay and O'Reilly.

Shingo has just as many 4+ star matches as Sabre Jr does for me this year. He only trails Hero and Ospreay in that category. Amazing ace, feels like a huge deal every time he has a title defense. He's going to end up elevating YAMATO into elite status by July. He won't get the support he deserves, but he has been simply amazing this year.

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:46 am

Will probably vote Styles, Hero and Gargano because they all feel like they have had historically significant years albeit in weird ways that probably wouldn't that significant in any other era. But that's where we are with this award now.

Edu_Tessis

Post by Edu_Tessis » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:45 pm

Garuda wrote:
Edu_Tessis wrote:1 - Naito
2 - Styles
3 - Ishii

If we're talking Juniors, then Ospreay and KUSHIDA have to be in the list as well, but for how over Naito is right now, and how consistently good his matches have been, I gotta give it to him, although Styles isn't far behind and Ishii is having a sneaky excellent year, with the Shibata feud and both his matches against Naito at the Cup and at Dontaku.
I think that's my current feeling in total, including the KUSHIDA rep. Ospraey was my initial pick, but I have to cede it to Naito and Styles for their top-of-the-company dick swinging.

BTW, welcome to the forums!
thank you! I also just figured out the quote gimmick lol, had no clue how to respond

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:44 pm

I don't want to rank them right now but Naito, Shingo and Miyahara are in my top three.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:11 pm

1. Tetsuya Naito
2. AJ Styles
3. Kazuchika Okada

Keep in mind that it's not only about in-ring work. Position in the company, drawing, merchandise etc. it also counts. That's why those are my picks.

abrasiveobelisksa

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:30 pm

What has Okada drawn on his own well?

dylanjstx

Post by dylanjstx » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Right now I have Styles at #1 but am really leaning towards Shingo Takagi. With a strong performance at Kobe World in the main event, he may move into that #1 spot. Have Okada, Naito and Kento Miyahara behind those two.

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:07 pm

I've never understood the negative feelings about Okada. Dude is 28, has some the best matches of the decade and is the face of the best promotion, in my opinion, in the world. I am not sure yet if he should win the award but the shade thrown his way is so over my head.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:22 pm

Thesz/Flair Award:
1. Naito
2. Styles
3. KUSHIDA

Most Outstanding:
1. Ospreay
2. Hero
3. KUSHIDA
Follow @TheScorpioCorp on Twitter for more views on Australian wrestling & other stuff.

maggot

Post by maggot » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:33 pm

Until Ospreay learns that excessive swearing does not equal selling, he ain't getting anywhere near my top 3.

1. Chris Hero.
2. AJ Styles.
3. Tetsuya Naito.

JML

Post by JML » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:27 pm

I think people need to start talking about Mascara Dorada aka Gran Metalik for Most Outstanding this year.

wac

Post by wac » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:56 pm

abrasiveobelisksa wrote:What has Okada drawn on his own well?
What has anyone drawn on their own well? He's main evented the three biggest houses of the year, and even though attendance is down, the company is still going pretty strong. Invasion Attack had the Guerrillas of Destiny in the semi-main event, and Dominion had two gaijins who were relative newcomers to being put in any sort of drawing position in the company (and no Hiroshi Tanahashi). I'd say that's pretty good.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:10 am

Volador Jr. got robbed last year but tonight Meltzer outed himself as all aboard the Volador train this year so let's do it.

VOLADOR JR - 2016 Wrestler of the Year.

Close the thread.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:29 pm

I think Okada has turned himself into an incredibly viable candidate. Headlined the Dome, headlined KOPW to a huge house, was the champion most of the year, had 2 Observe 5 star matches, had at least one other that is on the border, and Meltzer could easily give the second Marufuji 5, too.